•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX200 16" RA didn't respond on startup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: SE Massachusetts - Near Gillette Stadium

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:13 AM

Our 16" LX200 Classic (year 2000) on a Meade wedge, had been having an issue with the DEC, we adjusted the tension spring below the worm and it "seems" ok now, although I need to clean old grease off it and relube it.

Anyhow now that we seem to have fixed that, the other day I went to start the scope, I had it in the home position and turned on the scope.  It went through find home and moved the Dec way off and then back and centered on "0" on the scale like it should, but no movement or noise from the RA.

I tried using the hand control to move E the W and no response, tried this several times. powered down and up and tried it 4 times.  Finally it started responding again, but when I centered on Jupiter (no star alignment yet) and it has always tracked the planet well, but now it quickly drifts out of the FOV.  It is balanced and I double checked that.  We had also put a new cord between the HC and the base about 6 months back.

I am going to the observatory tomorrow to check it again.  Not sure what is causing it.

#2 PETER DREW

PETER DREW

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:20 AM

We've been running one of similar vintage for a number of years. Almost all drive problems have been the result of poor cable contacts, usually solved by repeated unplugging and replugging. You say you have replaced the cable but presumably it's plugged into the original socket?
  • leveye likes this

#3 Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:19 AM

Yes it is.  I will try plugging over and over, also will look at the pins in the drive base and HC

#4 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Viking 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:31 AM

For observatories a yearly procedure should be in place to check and clean contacts on the telescope and cords.

Electronic contact cleaner, small red eraser, air squeegee(photo puffer), dielectric grease should be part of a maintenance kit. 

When you disassemble mounts the dielectric grease can be used to help reduce corrosion on internal wire connections especially if you deal with humid conditions.

• ShaulaB likes this

#5 E Sully

E Sully

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: New York

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:35 AM

Yes it is.  I will try plugging over and over, also will look at the pins in the drive base and HC

Make sure you do not plug and unplug while powered up.

RA motor should always move a bit at start up.  As others suggested, check all cables and connections.  Have you changed the capacitors in the scope and handset?  Handset being most important so ribbon cable does not get damaged.  If not, the capacitor on the RA motor board might be an issue.  Also, are you running the scope on 18 volts.  While it may be okay to run the other Classics on 12-18v, the 16" is very specific that it needs to run on 18V.

Once you have the RA responding again, while it would not affect your current problem, make sure the button battery behind the control panel is good, and make sure all location and time settings are correct.  Also you should adjust backlash settings.  This can improve tracking by reducing lag from play in the gears.

#6 Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:18 PM

Thank you for all the suggestions I will make a list.

I did change the button battery this spring, the rest I will check/do

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics