•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Has anyone else made their own rings?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MPT

MPT

Viking 1

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:35 AM

Im a woodworker by trade, got a CNC a couple years back that has really made my life easier.  I started wondering what I could do with aluminum, and telescope rings seems like an interesting first project.  Does anyone else here on these forums do this type of work?  Any hints or tips?

I'd be curious about just the basics.  What size do you make the rings?  I know I have a 145mm tube, but Im assuming I want a little wiggle room in here for some sort of padding.  And what sort of padding works best?  Where the hell do you find those little toggle bolt things as well?

rings2.jpg

rings1.jpg

• Gucky, petmic, Allanbarth1 and 1 other like this

#2 jcj380

jcj380

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western 'burbs of Chicago. Red zone

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:57 AM

Doesn't count for this discussion, but I use large hose clamps.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#3 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:39 AM

Use thin adhesive-backed felt to cushion the rings.  I use 1 mm or 1.5 mm thick felt.

#4 rhaskins

rhaskins

Vostok 1

• Loc: Minnesota

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:34 AM

They look very good. I love my scopes, so I would suggest a couple of changes:

- make the pivot hole a metal attachment to the wood for reliability (and peaceful sleeping)

- beef up the part where the toggle bolts attach for the same reason

- make the attachment points for the top and bottom of the scope beefier. I assume you are going to attach it to a plate.

My 2 cents. I believe your plywood rings would have the stiffness and strength to hold a scope. Looks good, let us know how it works out. If it works out, you could go into business.

Rick

• MPT and Allanbarth1 like this

#5 Xeroid

Xeroid

Viking 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:38 AM

CN user "Pinbout" makes his own rings from wood.

#6 MPT

MPT

Viking 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:34 AM

They look very good. I love my scopes, so I would suggest a couple of changes:

- make the pivot hole a metal attachment to the wood for reliability (and peaceful sleeping)

- beef up the part where the toggle bolts attach for the same reason

- make the attachment points for the top and bottom of the scope beefier. I assume you are going to attach it to a plate.

My 2 cents. I believe your plywood rings would have the stiffness and strength to hold a scope. Looks good, let us know how it works out. If it works out, you could go into business.

Rick

Sorry, I should have added that these wood ones are just prototypes.  I have piles of baltic birch scraps laying around...way cheaper to mess them up than a chunk of aluminum (which I will inevitably do).  I have some 1" thick aluminum coming to cut a "final" version out of.  The one change I think I need to make is the flange, definitely way too skinny on the prototype.  

#7 macdonjh

macdonjh

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:23 AM

Use thin adhesive-backed felt to cushion the rings.  I use 1 mm or 1.5 mm thick felt.

+1

I have four scopes with rings.  Three have thin felt, one has really thick felt, 1/4" or close to it.  I dislike those rings.  The felt inside the rings isn't really for padding, it's for scratch protection.  I think it's preferable to clamp the OTA fairly tightly in the rings, so I don't want thick felt lining.

#8 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:32 AM

See Sky & Telescope, March 99, for my article.  I detail how to make tube rings and other scope parts from 1" thick sheet PVC and common woodworking tools.

I've also routed them from up to 1/2" plate aluminum using the router table, similar to making them from wood using a jig.

And here is a fiberglass set I made for a 20" OD tube, and the mold they came from.  These haven't been finished yet, fresh from the mold and trimmed in these pics.

rings001_zps7773e6f4.jpg  rings002_zps6ba4dede.jpg

#9 MPT

MPT

Viking 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:49 AM

See Sky & Telescope, March 99, for my article.  I detail how to make tube rings and other scope parts from 1" thick sheet PVC and common woodworking tools.

Wow, thanks Chuck!

Do you have a source you use for hardware?

#10 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:15 AM

Wow, thanks Chuck!

Do you have a source you use for hardware?

I try and get most nuts, bolts, and knobs from either my local Ace Hardware, or Lowe's, but sometimes I have to go to McMaster-Carr if they are out of stock or don't carry what I want.  I try and stick with stainless steel whenever possible but will go with plated if I have to.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics