•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestar 8" Repair

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lyoung1118

lyoung1118

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Austin, Tx.

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:12 AM

Hi all,  i have taken apart my Celestar (its older of course) in an attempt to find out why the R.A. Clamp will not tighten enough to hold and stop movement.  I cannot get the clamp tight enough, it "runs out of room" and hits the base.   That said, anyone know how to get parts for an older scope?  I believe it could be the white plastic "plate" at the bottom of the clamp screw, it seems a bit worn and smooth.   Any help greatly appreciated.

#2 J A VOLK

J A VOLK

Viking 1

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:10 AM

Often the lever has just slipped on the clamping screw. Some of the older ones you just loosen the setscrew(s), remove the lever, replace it rotated counterclockwise a bit and tighten. It might take a couple tries to get the right placement. The Celestar is probably the same.

#3 lyoung1118

lyoung1118

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:36 AM

Thanks JA VOLK...  but i have adjusted that as far to the top of the clamping screw as possible.  Again, the white plastic piece appears quite worn, like someone did not know how to use the scope and moved it with the R.A. clamp engaged.   Much like a worn brake pad, its very smooth, and most likely a little thinner than originally.   Thanks again for your feedback.

#4 bob midiri

bob midiri

Soyuz

• Loc: pa 19320

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:25 AM

Here is an ad on CN, the answer to your prayers. https://www.cloudyni...-powered-mount/

#5 lyoung1118

lyoung1118

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:35 AM

Thank you Bob,  i will investigate this.

• bob midiri likes this

#6 bob midiri

bob midiri

Soyuz

• Loc: pa 19320

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:23 PM

How did you make out with your RA issue

#7 lyoung1118

lyoung1118

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:10 AM

Bob,

Thanks for checking in sir.   I did not purchase the wedge, too much money for something i think will be an easy fix.  I am simply going to add to the thickness of the pad, and see if that solves the issue.   If it does, i will post pictures of the fix just in case others have this issue.

Thanks again.

• bob midiri likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics