•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C6 Hyperstar + Atik 414EX Mono

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Shine

Shine

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:31 AM

Hi All,

For anyone curious about how this combination works, it can be best described as fast, very fast.

I've only had a few minutes with the setup so far, with most of the time being spent adjusting collimation, focus and cable management. I started first with M51 (average of 5 exposures of 4 seconds). After tweaking the collimation I had to find another object as clouds in - M13 was next. After another set of short exposures (average of 5 exposures, 1 second each) and tweaking the collimation once more, I moved on finally to Antares as the clouds encroached even more. I was only able to get 4 exposures of 2 seconds each before the clouds and threat of rain brought an end to the testing session.

I am very pleased with the results so far. I was particularly impressed with the performance on the fainter targets as they were clearly visible on the laptop screen in real time. The short exposure times and fast download speed (mainly due to the relatively small file size of the 414EX) should lend well to using this setup for widefield deep sky imaging and for outreach efforts.

David.

Attached Thumbnails

• M51.jpg
  • Antares.jpg
  • M13_2.jpg

• devisger and Itsmycake like this

#2 JohnW*

JohnW*

Vostok 1

• Loc: Phoenix,AZ

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:17 PM

David,

Yes that is impressive, I just this week purchased a C6, and C6 Hyperstar on the Marts, both never used, brand new.  I currently am going to try a QHY 5LII monochrome camera to see how that works.  I have been looking at the QHY5III178C as a possibility as well.  I live outside Phoenix so light pollution is a problem.  Curious if you have done any further imaging and how your shots came out?

Right now we are in monsoon season and nothing but clouds and dust everyday, sometimes rain.  Yes it does rain in the desert and usually floods when it does.

John

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics