•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Solar Filter Modification

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Aaron_tragle

Aaron_tragle

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Richmond, Virginia

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:47 AM

I own a solar filter for my 50mm finderscope and was wondering if I could mod it by adding a ring of black paper and duct tape around it so it can fit on my Z61. There is an ISS Solar Transit coming up in a few days and wanted to capture it and I don't have money for a solar filter for the Z61.

#2 barbarosa

barbarosa

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 130miles W of Yosemite

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:12 PM

I've used scraps of filter film to make filters for finder scopes and binoculars, I try to find some thing sturdy for a surround, a tea can or plastic lid for example. I remove the center by scoring it with an old pair of dividers then to stiffen the film I build up the edges with tape, good quality 3m blue painter's tape is very durable even in sunlight. I don't like duct tape because the adhesive is messy, prone to creep and the tape is not durable in sunlight. Aluminized HVAC tape  is very durable.

• Pete Gorczynski likes this

#3 Aaron_tragle

Aaron_tragle

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:34 PM

That is exactly what I am planning on using. We have aluminized HVAC tape that is available

#4 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 16 June 2018 - 04:26 PM

When is this event??

#5 FlankerOneTwo

FlankerOneTwo

Ranger 4

• Loc: Vegas, baby!

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:31 PM

www.transit-finder.com actually shows the transit on 13 Jun for Richmond, VA and 2 close passes on the 23rd and 27th. Next actual transit projected on 9 Jul.

#6 Aaron_tragle

Aaron_tragle

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:50 PM

Should have given better location https://gyazo.com/0a...c67302cadb14ab7

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics