•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What is it?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hillbill

Hillbill

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:40 PM

I got this stuff with a large lot of Losmandy parts, and I'm guessing that these motors and gearboxes make into stepper motors for a G-11 or Titan mount. Does anyone know for sure? Does anyone use other parts to improve the performance of the mounts?

Attached Thumbnails

• stepper.jpg

#2 macdonjh

macdonjh

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:39 AM

Those look like the gear boxes on my G11.  Those motors are very different looking than those on my mounts, though.  Perhaps for a Titan, or (if your box of parts is new) for a new G11 with the tucked-in motors?  Maxon is the right brand, perhaps the heat sinks I have on my motors are added by Losmandy?  I've never tried taking the actual motors apart to find out.

In my opinion, the stock G11s are well suited for visual observation.  I do have a polar scope on the G11 I travel with (the G11 in my observatory does not have a polar scope).  If you're an astrophotographer, the high precision worm and/ or one-piece worm block could be valuable upgrades to either RA, declination or both axes. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics