•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What do I need...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DIA001

DIA001

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:57 PM

Hi, I have recently purchased the Explore Scientific ED80 refractor. This refractor has a focal length of 480. Along with using a ZWO ASI120MC camera, what will I need (if anything) to get an up close shot of Jupiter. I will also be using DSS to stack.

Any Feedback is useful. Thanks.

#2 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 18 June 2018 - 02:08 PM

Nice scope and camera to start out with! I have the same... My thoughts would be that doing planetary will not be quite as satisfying with that set up as would be lunar and the larger DSO's... The camera would work well for planets, lunar, solar (with filtering) and probably as a guide camera. The scope is nice, but you need quite a bit more to do planetary.

For most deep sky, you need to take long exposures... longer than what I think the ASI120 will do... not overly sure... some folks have had a bit of success with some DSO's by stacking a lot of short exposures.  

• Augustus likes this

#3 DIA001

DIA001

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 June 2018 - 02:15 PM

What low cost camera do you think I should get for taking longer exposures?

#4 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 18 June 2018 - 02:20 PM

Most folks use a DSLR

There are a number of used Canon XSi's out there... maybe even some modified ones

#5 Adun

Adun

Vanguard

Posted 18 June 2018 - 02:32 PM

An ED80 is ideal for imaging DSOs, specially the larger ones. Won't demand too much from a tracking mount (even an alt-az goto mount)

For planetary, it'd need a strong barlow and that might introduce challenges

Edited by Adun, 18 June 2018 - 02:33 PM.

#6 eros312

eros312

Ranger 4

• Loc: Tampa, FL

Posted 18 June 2018 - 02:44 PM

Hi, I have recently purchased the Explore Scientific ED80 refractor. This refractor has a focal length of 480. Along with using a ZWO ASI120MC camera, what will I need (if anything) to get an up close shot of Jupiter. I will also be using DSS to stack.

Any Feedback is useful. Thanks.

You'll need a 3X or 4X Barlow. Plug the camera into the barlow and the barlow into the eyepiece holder.

#7 overnight

overnight

Vanguard

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:12 PM

If your going to do planetary, don't use DSS. Use AutoStakkert or RegiStax 6 to stack videos or still frames. Preferentially, you want as many frames as you can get before Jupiter rotates too much.

#8 scadvice

scadvice

Ranger 4

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:52 PM

Do you have a mount to go with the ED80? It would be helpful for advising you on the other equipment... the camera and so forth. The mount is/can be more important than the telescope when starting out. Your scope is a nice one to start with but the mount will allow you to use that scope to its full potential.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics