•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

advice please :has anyone used a baader HYPERION ZOOM 8-24mm mark 4 for imaging

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 chdr

chdr

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:40 PM

i have a baader HYPERION ZOOM 8-24mm mk4 and i noticed that you can get a adapter to fit 43M to T2 and you can attach it to a cam or dslr  has anyone tried this and dose it work  with a zwo asi 290  and what results did you get fair to good ,or  i should not have bothered  the adapter is only $30 to $40  ... or is it too much glass in the optical train 

would like to hear some of your experiences i am just trying to use what i have before spending $1000 on televue  powermates and barlow's  and i am in the process of buying my first cam asi290mc

cheers

chdr

#2 HarryRik9

HarryRik9

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:12 PM

You may want to study this method. It is called eyepiece projection. This method has been neglected so you probably will not get positive answers to your question. 

• chdr likes this

#3 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Apollo

• Loc: Illinois, USA N 37° W 89°

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:12 PM

I use the Mark III with a DSLR for Lunar here and am happy with what it does. I don't go all in though, just images and some video and no post processing at all. Just easy stuff for me and the kids/grand kids.

Peace...

• bsavoie and chdr like this

#4 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Apollo

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:23 PM

I realize this is pretty poor but it works for me and the kids. I can do better when I have both pair of glasses on to see the image on the DSLR to get focus. I just click away and don't fret about it though, rather be in the eyepiece.

Peace...

Attached Thumbnails

• tv-85_baader3.jpg

• chdr likes this

#5 einarin

einarin

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:25 PM

If you have you can try it.

In my planetary imaging times I sometimes used Hyperion zoom too.

Results were reasonably good.

Maybe this was one of the better examples:

https://www.ursa.fi/...iter_301110.htm

• chdr likes this

#6 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Gemini

• Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:48 PM

Took this with a 2xBarlow and 13mm Baader Hyperion using that adapter with my 8 inch Dob, Canon t3i,  stacked video not a single frame.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6AB2B05B-C836-423E-A789-4DAEACE9275D.jpeg

• bsavoie and chdr like this

#7 chdr

chdr

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:54 PM

hi and a big thanks HarryRik9 jeremiah2229 and einarin for answering my question  i looked at your pic`s and you've convinced me to grab the adapter and give it a go ... your pics are good thanks for posting them  if i get 1/2 the results you got i will be very happy  as i am just starting in imaging and i am not expecting too much until i get my head around it all  i have so much to learn 

cheers

chdr

EDIT : thanks Jeff2011  your moon shot is great  thanks for posting it ... i think you guys might of saved me the price of the couple of  televue powermates for now  i will probably get them later as i get use to imaging  instead of getting them with the 290mc purchase which i should be getting today 

cheers

chdr 

Edited by chdr, 19 June 2018 - 07:03 PM.

#8 droe

droe

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fenton, Mi

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:22 PM

I have used my baader zoom connected to my Nikon DSLR. The only problem I have was that it was very easy to spin the zoom part with that heavy camera attached. I did get a Baader Morpheus eyepiece and attached the camera to it and that seemed to work better.

Here is the first picture I took using this method with the baader eyepiece, not great but I have not had a lot of chances to work more with it. This image was not stacked and was just a test image.

I have a better focuser now so I am sure it can produce better results.

Attached Thumbnails

• MOON1sm.jpg

Edited by droe, 19 June 2018 - 07:33 PM.

• chdr likes this

#9 chdr

chdr

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2018 - 08:09 PM

thanks droe for the heads up on the zoom being easy to move out of the setting you choose  they do call the eyepiece a "click lock "  but on my example i can feel no locking or clicks in use it  is smooth and buttery to use ..  i thought it was just my one 

cheers

chdr 

#10 droe

droe

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:39 PM

It seems like we all like the same area of the Moon.waytogo.gif 

• jeremiah2229 likes this

#11 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Apollo

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:28 PM

I also have an Agena 8-24 zoom here (Celestron rebrand) and the eyepiece doesn't move when you zoom so camera doesn't either. I use it more than the Baader because of this.

Peace...

#12 HarryRik9

HarryRik9

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:49 AM

Hi, It was not clear in your question whether you were asking about afocal projection photography or eyepiece projection photography. In the answers that were given it was not stated what method was being used.  The two methods are different and can be confused. So it sure would be helpful if people would state which method they used. 

Here are the two different methods: https://en.wikipedia...cal_photography

and http://www.astronomy...ece-projection/

• chdr likes this

#13 droe

droe

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:45 AM

With the baader eyepeices, an adapter screws onto the eyepiece and then attaches directly to the camera. It is not a tube that you slide the eyepiece into and then attach the tube to the camera. Not sure which method that is.

#14 chdr

chdr

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2018 - 02:13 PM

i got the adapter it was $40 au from this place in sydney australia http://www.andrewsco...ries.htm#baader  where i live  i will have a play aroud with it  some good nights are coming  this weekend 

i was mainly looking  for a way to increase the mag of the cam  cheaply  as i am new to owning a cam  and still learning  how to use it  and powermates are $300 to $500 in oz   and the televue barlows are $200  to me its a cheaper way to learn  how different things affect  the results 

thanks for the links HarryRik9 they helped me a lot  cheers 

droe  the adaptor is only 5mm or so high  but it is still a long rig with the cam  and eyepiece  and i have to watch slewing  or it will hit the deck on the evo mount with a wedge 

cheers

chdr

#15 Poconut

Poconut

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pocono Mountains, PA, USA

Posted 30 June 2018 - 06:41 PM

i have a baader HYPERION ZOOM 8-24mm mk4 and i noticed that you can get a adapter to fit 43M to T2 and you can attach it to a cam or dslr  has anyone tried this and dose it work  with a zwo asi 290  and what results did you get fair to good ,or  i should not have bothered  the adapter is only $30 to $40  ... or is it too much glass in the optical train 

would like to hear some of your experiences i am just trying to use what i have before spending $1000 on televue  powermates and barlow's  and i am in the process of buying my first cam asi290mc

cheers

chdr

I don't own one, but took a look at some pictures and drawings.  To adapt the ASI290 to a Baader lens, it looks like you will need to remove the CCD lens which will expose internal threading and sensor.  Then find a M42x0.75 (male) to M43 (female) adaptor or maybe a combination of several adaptors to get there.  I haven't seen anybody doing this, but I suppose it could be done as long as you can achieve focus.  Again, I am just saying this based on a couple of drawings and pictures that I looked at (https://www.highpoin...camera-asi290mc).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics