•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Observing near Eagle River, WI?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lakland5

lakland5

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:04 PM

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience observing in the area around Eagle River, WI?  We may eventually relocate to WI after retirement (some years away) but for now it would be driving trips from suburban Chicago, and 5.5 hours--the time from here to there--would be about the maximum drive.

It may be that the viewing would be no better there than, say, Green River in western Illinois but the maps look encouraging.

In terms of equipment, an XT10 is my big scope, and I have pretty good eyepieces now (ES 24/68, Morpheus 12.5 and 9).  I like clusters the best--can't get good views of many DSO's when limited to red/yellow zone conditions.

Thanks for any input and I hope your skies have been clearer than ours,

Ric A

#2 Migwan

Migwan

Viking 1

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:05 PM

Not familiar with the area, but I took a peak at google satellite and found one possibility in Headwaters Wilderness.  It's south east of Eagle River and would get you into dark blue on darksitefinder. 

Google map Eagle River, follow 45 south to Three Lakes, west on 32 to Military Rd, and onto Sheltered Valley Rd.  The site is just past Wolf Lake.

There is some grey/black to north east of Eagle River, but from the depth of the game trails in the open areas, they might be a bit wet.  Anyway, good luck. jd

#3 Migwan

Migwan

Viking 1

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:09 PM

Trouble adding screen shots.  Here is one.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2Site.png

#4 Migwan

Migwan

Viking 1

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:11 PM

Here's the possible site. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Site.png

• lakland5 likes this

#5 lakland5

lakland5

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:40 AM

Thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics