•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hooked on small scopes

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#301 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 13 October 2018 - 02:00 AM

Short focus Apos look funny. Sure, less space- but less beauty, less grace!

I don't mind the looks, but they can be hard to balance, because the tube is so short, the point of balance often lies somewhere in the focuser - or even behind it! I also don't particularly like that if I want to reach high magnifications I need to pile on the barlows. 

Some say that the most useful feature of the short focal length apo is their ability to give a very large field at low magnification. That's fine, of course, but I rarely use that feature, preferring to use medium and high magnifications and here a longer focal length is preferable. If I want very low magnification and a large field, I use binoculars. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

• Anthony236J likes this

#302 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 13 October 2018 - 08:11 AM

Short focus Apos look funny. Sure, less space- but less beauty, less grace!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  But function is in the nuts and bolts.  APOs are beautiful to me because they take up less space, are less cumbersome for grab-n-go, have a wider range of fields of view and the color correction is better.

Mike

• Castor and jay.i like this

#303 Adam Taylor

Adam Taylor

Ranger 4

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:51 PM

Howay The Bruins!

Skylight carton lens 60/1000

This can do some damage on the moon and Jupiter too.

The 10.5mm plossl gives a wonderful 95X which is just right for me.

Howay The Toon Army!

Nice Skylight.

• Mr Onions likes this

#304 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 13 October 2018 - 06:43 PM

I suppose the 70mm f10s are ok but better color correction occurs with the 70mm f12.8 ;that additional 200mm tube length is worth it..Besides,for low power wide views the plentiful 70/400 can be piggybacked onto the 70/900.

The Zhumell Aurora 70,a Galileo whose model I don't recall,and the Vixen a70lf have all given very nice seemingly true color views here at Foggy Valley.

Edited by BigC, 13 October 2018 - 06:43 PM.

• bbqediguana likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics