•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hooked on small scopes

• Please log in to reply
337 replies to this topic

#326 Jsquared

Jsquared

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Duncan, Ok

Posted 30 March 2020 - 11:09 PM

Hey Takahashi is running a sale on 76dcu only $1,278.00 new

#327 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:44 AM

I think we are subconsciously more comfortable with a "human-sized" scope, that is , one we can maneuver without aid.

• Astrojensen and Tropobob like this

#328 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:16 AM

I think we are subconsciously more comfortable with a "human-sized" scope, that is , one we can maneuver without aid.

Several people in the 60mm Club https://groups.io/g/...mmTelescopeClub have over the years said more or less exactly that, that they are more comfortable with a 60mm, simply because it's small enough that it can be easily handled and doesn't feel intimidating, neither physically or economically. To put it simply: They're small and cute and people generally like small and cute things. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• Corcaroli78, eros312, rerun and 3 others like this

#329 contrailmaker

contrailmaker

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:41 AM

Well, my two favorite small and cute telescopes, along with binoculars, have been my primary observing tools so far this year. My TV60 has been on lunar/Venus duty while my PST, with a brand new blocking filter, has been busy on Ha duty. There have even been a few interesting prominences lately.  Both are ready to use on a moment’s notice. 

CM

Edited by contrailmaker, 03 April 2020 - 10:43 AM.

• Sasa and Tyson M like this

#330 barbie

barbie

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:25 AM

Bigger isn't necessarily better when physical limitations are at play. I observe more with my small apos than I did when I had my big refractors and reflectors and the views are just as pleasing to my eyes!! Small scopes can be more easily transported to darker skies, a very BIG factor for me!!

Edited by barbie, 03 April 2020 - 11:29 AM.

• Astrojensen likes this

#331 starryhtx

starryhtx

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 03 April 2020 - 12:22 PM

Hey Takahashi is running a sale on 76dcu only $1,278.00 newI know it's a Tak but still a lot of money in an uncertain economy.

Only? Still a lot in uncertain times, for me anyway.

Edited by starryhtx, 03 April 2020 - 12:25 PM.

#332 Jsquared

Jsquared

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Duncan, Ok

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:41 PM

Only? Still a lot in uncertain times, for me anyway.

True but better than regular 1400$
FYI televue tv-76 is over 1700 albeit with case

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#333 contrailmaker

contrailmaker

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2020 - 12:20 AM

Tonight was the Stowaway’s turn on the moon. Fantastic! Great atmosphere today. Trying to do a comparo between the 3mm Radian and the barlowed 7mm Pentax XL. I preferred the views with the Pentax. More neutral tone and just ever  slightly sharper. Either one is a pleaser. What a great night.

CM

• rerun and Tyson M like this

#334 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Apollo

• Loc: Canada

Posted 11 April 2020 - 09:18 PM

WOW! I have a 70mm f/10 achromat (Sky-Watcher 707) on an EQ-1 mount and it's basically my grab and go scope. Tonight, I decided to nip out into my backyard for an hour and try out my new Tele Vue 32mm Plössl and tour around Auriga for a bit. I decided to look at M37, which appears as a dim smudge in the 32mm although with patience and averted vision, it became more distinct as a cluster of stars. Soon, I was able to see stars with direct vision. I then notched up to my 15mm Plössl and it was much more visible a cluster with more stars being visible. I eventually worked up to my 8mm Plössl and then my 6mm Ortho, at which point M37 revealed itself as a beautiful swarm of dozens of stars. 

The view was dim, but very sharp and very clear. I was amazed what my little 70mm was showing me! I know with my 8" SCT would easily show M37 in all it's splendor - but I just didn't expect my little 70mm to show me as much as it did. 

Mind you, it would be easy to just flit past something like M37 in the 70mm - initially it just looked like a smudge. In my light polluted backyard, I didn't expect much but with patience and a well-placed hoodie... I was able to really enjoy myself!

Hooray for small scopes! :)

Rick

• daquad, contrailmaker, eros312 and 3 others like this

#335 barbie

barbie

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 11 April 2020 - 09:51 PM

Agreed!!  Small scopes are wonderful!!  I'm continually amazed at what I can observe with my 76mm scopes and they are lightweight and easy to set up as well as being easy on my bad back and knees!!

• bbqediguana likes this

#336 contrailmaker

contrailmaker

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 April 2020 - 06:13 AM

Just had a great observing session with my little TV60. Got up at 5am and went out on the balcony. A little rain had fallen about an hour before and some clouds were lingering but moving with good gaps in between. Jupiter, Saturn and the moon were peeking over the obstruction created by the balcony upstairs from mine with Jupiter just coming into position for viewing. Took out my PST which permanently rides on the Manfrotto camera mount/tripod that I use for the TV60. Got the backpack with the scope and all the accessories and in 5 minutes I had swapped out the PST for the scope and was in business. 

I don’t have a finder for this scope and just use an old 25mm Plossl instead. Decided to try out a 3mm Radian that I purchased last year with this exact purpose in mind. The combo was perfect, producing 120x which turned out to be just right for the surprisingly steady seeing conditions. Every time I use my TV60 I am more impressed. Jupiter was razor sharp with many cloud belts and a Ganymede shadow transit clearly visible. The tiny black dot clearly edged on the planet’s clouds. Back on earth Clouds were popping in and out but the seeing remained steady. After about 20 minutes  I could smell the humidity increasing and a large cloud blocked the view. Time to pack it up. 

Funny how this works but by the time I put everything away (maybe10 minutes), that part of the sky had cleared again. I took out my 20x60 binoculars and enjoyed looking at the moon, Jupiter and Saturn for a short while when I decided, what the heck, let’s take the scope out again. In 5 or 6 minutes I was back observing the moon with the TV60. The terminator was extremely interesting today. So different to see the familiar lunar features illuminated from the other direction. I observed till daylight started and more clouds began to roll in.  By the time I finished putting everything away again it was pouring rain outside. A perfect observing session with a small telescope.

CM

Edited by contrailmaker, 15 April 2020 - 10:00 AM.

• davidmcgo, daquad, Astrojensen and 3 others like this

#337 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 15 April 2020 - 08:16 AM

Very nice report, CM! 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

#338 contrailmaker

contrailmaker

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 April 2020 - 10:04 AM

Thanks Thomas.

I made a correction to reflect that the magnification with the 3mm Radian was 120x. I am very pleased with the way this eyepiece works with this telescope as well as with the Stowaway. Very sharp and no distortions all the way to the edge.

CM

Edited by contrailmaker, 15 April 2020 - 10:05 AM.

• Astrojensen likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics