•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Leaving scope set up

beginner
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Alderman

Alderman

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:49 PM

I have an LX 50. Would it be okay to leave it set up over night and through the day.
The area is in direct sunlight for most of the day so there could be a warm day.
Also the climate here is moist at night, not rain but quite a. It if dew.
If okay to leave out during the day, would it be advisable to keep a cover over it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Neptune

Neptune

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:57 PM

I have left my LX200 12" out many times.  I always covered it for 2 reasons.  Keep the DUST out (bad out here in AZ) and keep the extra UV from beating up the plastic parts (The sun will KILL plastic out here near Phoenix).  

• Augustus likes this

#3 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:59 PM

You must have a cover on it or you will sooner or later be very unhappy. Too hot, too cold but above all too much moisture. http://www.telegizmo...fo page new.htm are not cheap but last forever. I still use the one I bought in 2009.

Rgrds-Ross

• Augustus likes this

#4 wky46

wky46

Vanguard

• Loc: West central, Ky.

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:14 PM

I’ve kept my LX50 out for ten yrs or more 

I cover it in an old insulated windbreaker jacket then wrapped in a tarp, secured with a bungee 

It really holds the heat in but I blow cooler air in the visual back opening on the cool setting with a hair dryer and of course take the lens cover off. It still takes a while to cool it down but it would never if I didn’t use the blow dryer

Biggest danger is high winds knocking your scope over. (*assuming yours is on a tripod ?)

It has mine but damage was limited, thankfully (ota luckily landed on a child’s trampoline! whew)

I have it tied down now on three points right at bottom of wedge with rope and 3 cinder blocks filled with concrete

I push the blocks out of the way before viewing 

Not really enough I feel but will have to do til I finish my shed

Edited by wky46, 20 June 2018 - 09:29 PM.

#5 jupiter122

jupiter122

Vostok 1

• Loc: Sudbury, MA

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:37 PM

You could park your expensive sports car in a sketchy neighborhood overnight, and maybe be, just maybe it might be there in the morning, and might have all the wheels on it, but why would you take that chance? It doesn’t sound like you live in a fair-weather area like the desert-southwest, so any number of things could do you in— an unexpected thunderstorm or gust of wind—for example. But if you’re going to leave it out, then cover it with a light- colored scope cover, and since I’m guessing you’re not going to bank on it falling on a trampoline, it’s a good idea to secure it in the way that wky46 suggested.

Edited by jupiter122, 20 June 2018 - 04:40 PM.

• wky46 and Augustus like this

#6 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:45 PM

The list of things that can go wrong with this is very long.  I wouldn't do it.  Bird poop, spiders, insects, mold, mildew, weather, theft, exposure to UV, etc.

Edited by kfiscus, 20 June 2018 - 11:35 PM.

• Jon Isaacs and Augustus like this

#7 Neptune

Neptune

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:43 PM

I agree about the 365 covers.  I can only get them to last about 3-4 years out here in the AZ desert.  I find the silver inside starts to flake off.  Makes for a real mess. Otherwise they really do a very good job a protecting the scope.  I am on my 3rd 365cover.

#8 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Soyuz

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:18 PM

It is common to cover a scope and leave it out for a few nights while you are camping at a star party. But if I am home I pack my scope up and bring it in. My great uncle left his vintage C8 stored on his deck and the primary rusted from the humidity in western Washington. So it isn’t just the desert UV that is hard on scopes. Clouds and rain take a toll too.

Scott
  • Augustus likes this

#9 Alderman

Alderman

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 June 2018 - 12:20 AM

Thanks for the input. Not that big of a deal to put it away.
Has somebody actually had one of these blow over in the wind?
It is quite heavy and feels stable. Just curious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#10 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 21 June 2018 - 12:33 AM

Horror stories about just that can be read here in the Specialty Forum's star party threads.  Cracked corrector plates and lost dew shields, to name a few examples.  A dust devil got the Texas Star Party.  Lots of excitement ensued.

• Augustus likes this

#11 Ed D

Ed D

Skylab

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 21 June 2018 - 04:47 AM

If you do leave it out during the day make sure the objective and finder are capped or covered.  There are plenty of horror stories about scopes where the sunlight went through the finder and started a fire, burning down a deck or part of a home.

I have left my scopes out overnight in the back yard so they are acclimated when I want to observe or image in the pre-dawn hours.  I use a tarp over the scope and bungee cords to secure it.  However, I only do this rarely, and my main concern in So Florida is a torrential rain storm.

Ed D

Edited by Ed D, 21 June 2018 - 04:50 AM.

• kfiscus likes this

#12 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Gemini

• Loc: Under the DFW light barrier

Posted 21 June 2018 - 08:26 AM

My biggest issue with leaving my scopes out is the darn dog... apparently, he has poor vision and mistakes them for fire hydrants... I don't leave mine out anymore...

CB

• Ed D and Augustus like this

#13 wky46

wky46

Vanguard

• Loc: West central, Ky.

Posted 21 June 2018 - 08:33 AM

Oh yeah

It would actually be quite easy to tip it over just giving it a push with your hands

Imagine 60/70 mph wind gusts! Plus, there’s straight line wind shear, micro bursts, nearby tornados, etc.

We’ve had nearly 100 mph sustained winds a few years ago from the effects of a hurricane 100s of miles away,

We can have some CRAZY weather around here

As I said, I have it tied down now with concrete filled cinder blocks and that’s really not enough

*My scope was tied off to a deck rail for years and quite secure... until I didn’t. Having work done to the deck now so had to move it to where it currently resides. I’m having a shed built soon specifically to house it and my Dob

Edited by wky46, 21 June 2018 - 03:05 PM.

#14 Ruff

Ruff

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 June 2018 - 10:55 AM

...........and here I was worried about to cover or not to cover my scope in the living room.  

#15 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:17 PM

I used to leave my C14 out a lot, but always always always with a good canvas cover, and never more than a few days at a time.

For longer periods of time, an incadescent bulb under the cover can act as a dehumidifier but it should be in a housing so it cannot touch the canvas. 

My 12" dob is outside 24/7 but it is parked under shelter in the corner of my covered patio.  It has been out there oh, five years maybe?  Since going on the patio, it has never been inside again.

• Stardust Dave likes this

#16 macdonjh

macdonjh

Gemini

Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:36 PM

Horror stories about just that can be read here in the Specialty Forum's star party threads.  Cracked corrector plates and lost dew shields, to name a few examples.  A dust devil got the Texas Star Party.  Lots of excitement ensued.

Dust Devils are an annual thing at TSP.  Weather in west Texas is it's own animal, though.  When I attended several years ago, I drove stakes in the ground and tied my tripod to those, similar to staking down mobile home in hurricane country.  When I'm at home in east Texas, I don't stake anything down.  Like Eddgie, though, I don't leave my gear outside for more than a couple of nights in a row.  Of course, we rarely have more than one night of good observing at a time here.  Of all the things mentioned so far (bird poop, spiders, insects, mold, mildew, weather, theft, exposure to UV, starting fires) I only worry about theft when I leave my gear outside under a cover.  I observe from my back yard, though, and so far "out of sight, out of mind" has been true.

• Augustus likes this

#17 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:26 PM

If you cover it ya gotta control the humidity. Any cover will greatly increase the sail area and will require LOTS of ballast to counteract.

#18 Poconut

Poconut

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pocono Mountains, PA, USA

Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:05 PM

Have left my C14 out recently and last week we had tornadoes roll through the area.  One funnel cloud tracked very close to here but did not touch down, one did about 20 miles away.  Anyhow the winds associated with the front exceeded 40 mph gusts.  I wasn't worried at all.  It weighs almost 200# with most of the weight being near the bottom 1/3.  Wind tends to be evenly distributed and it would take a very concentrated force at the top side to tip it.

+1 for the telegizmo 365 cover ... it's fantastic.

#19 Prasad

Prasad

Vostok 1

• Loc: Eastern PA

Posted 22 June 2018 - 12:55 PM

I have an LX 50. Would it be okay to leave it set up over night and through the day.
The area is in direct sunlight for most of the day so there could be a warm day.
Also the climate here is moist at night, not rain but quite a. It if dew.
If okay to leave out during the day, would it be advisable to keep a cover over it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a nice reflective cover and I use it at star parties to cover the scope when sky gets cloudy or during sunlight hours. I do it only to maintain the polar alignment for for next night. When at home I do not go for any serious polar alignment and so, I always bring everything in. 

Prasad

Eastern PA, near Philly

#20 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 22 June 2018 - 01:22 PM

The list of things that can go wrong with this is very long.  I wouldn't do it.  Bird poop, spiders, insects, mold, mildew, weather, theft, exposure to UV, etc.

When I am camping or very occasionally in my urban backyard, I will leave a Dobsonian outside for a night or two. 

If I am camping, I cover the mirrors but generally do not cover the scope because of the wind.  Some years ago, I had covered my 16 inch and woke up in the morning to find it had blown over.  In the backyard, I will cover it but generally I regret that I hadn't bothered to bring the scope in.  It only takes a few minutes and I feel more comfortable knowing the scope is inside and protected.  

jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics