•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Shielding For a Horrendous Streetlight?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 starcanoe

starcanoe

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:37 AM

You really need to design a shade that will insert into the globe. It can be designed such that  the light can still leave the bulb and hit the area around the fixture but not allow any direct rays to hit your property.

Some aluminum sheet metal would be fine. Heck, you could probably cobble something together out a large aluminum beer can (you might want to sand off the paint on that one :) )

#27 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:56 PM

That would be fine, only if the utility company would install it; and they may not allow it.

• Poynting likes this

#28 xiando

xiando

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Cloudy NEOhio

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:11 PM

It is exactly what it looks like, a few pieces of tape didn't help much at all. At least they did something. I guess I can request more pieces of tape.

I would again urge you to take matters into your own hands a build a simple two pole "banner-style" light shield, fill a couple of 5 gallon pails with sand to act as bases for the poles, and haul them and the banner out to your yard as needed to block the light.

• SeaBee1 and Joe1950 like this

#29 starcanoe

starcanoe

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:33 PM

That would be fine, only if the utility company would install it; and they may not allow it.

They had no trouble wrapping the bulb with tape. That just decreases the light going in all directions. And it probably causes the bulb to over heat. For that matter it might catch fire.

If they will DO THAT shortly after being asked to do something about the light it seems to me they wouldn't have any trouble putting something in there that doesn't decrease the light in every direction, won't cause the lamp to overheat, won't catch fire (or melt), and actually works.

Of course, such a thing needs to be designed so better specs on the lamp and the geometry of the whole situation needs to be accounted for to design such a shield properly.

Edited by starcanoe, 06 July 2018 - 02:34 PM.

#30 Poynting

Poynting

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Orlando, FL

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:46 PM

They had no trouble wrapping the bulb with tape. That just decreases the light going in all directions. And it probably causes the bulb to over heat. For that matter it might catch fire.

If they will DO THAT shortly after being asked to do something about the light it seems to me they wouldn't have any trouble putting something in there that doesn't decrease the light in every direction, won't cause the lamp to overheat, won't catch fire (or melt), and actually works.

Of course, such a thing needs to be designed so better specs on the lamp and the geometry of the whole situation needs to be accounted for to design such a shield properly.

There is a clear cylinder around which the bulb is inserted that the tape was placed on. I will consider this and ask them though. Worst case they say no. I would like the shielding option not only for observing, but also for the light reaching my windows at night.

I would again urge you to take matters into your own hands a build a simple two pole "banner-style" light shield, fill a couple of 5 gallon pails with sand to act as bases for the poles, and haul them and the banner out to your yard as needed to block the light.

Thank you, I am considering how to implement this, as it seems innocuous to the lamp and could provide perfect shielding as needed. Also cheap! 

#31 xiando

xiando

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Cloudy NEOhio

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:00 PM

a pair of plastic coated garden poles (from a real gardening store in onesey twoseys, online for bulk, but not home depot et al afaik, I've checked and they don't carry them) 

like the dark green ones shown here (below the ads section in the images area of the query page)  https://www.bing.com...poles&FORM=IGRE

They're about 3/4" in diameter and can be purchased in heights from ~4ft tall to 8ft tall. Cost is insignificant ~$5-10 each.

(last time I purchase some 7 footers they were $5 each. basically just conduit with a plastic coating, a flat section for hitting with a mallet, and a conical tip for driving into a soft substrate. Plenty durable for the purpose. 

A small section of standard ~opaque, ripstop plastic tarp (brown would be a good unobtrusive color) . A 6'x8' costs all of ~$10 and you'd only need a ~2ft x 2ft section if you put the banner "upwind" of the scope between it and the light source... (nearer requires larger sections...)

2ea 5 gallon pails (home depot, etc)

a couple bags of play sand or something else the poles can be sunk into when assembled.

a grommet kit (for modifying the section of tarp) ~$350 at walmart

some stout rope/twine etc for attaching the "banner" to the top of the poles or bungy cords (wallmart has bags of them in the camping section  for<$5)

pails with sand stay intact and carry from/back to garage.

poles with banner stay intact as set. 

Assembly is easy. Just set pails at spread distance, unfurl banner (already on poles)  and then stick poles into each.

First time out, adjust height of banner for optimal shielding. Mark poles so you can easily set again if necessary.

Dis-assembly is just as easy.

or however you figure the solution. point is, targeted shield works. Even if not ideal or permanent.

Edited by xiando, 06 July 2018 - 03:06 PM.

#32 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:01 PM

I don't see the tape lasting anyway even if it did help. Likely dry out and peel away.

How about making a widely tapered cone out of some sheet metal to sit on the bulb to try and reflect the light downward. Could be slightly tilted away from your direction and leave a small opening at the top to let some light hit the top of the globe to still be aesthetically pleasing. Paint the outside of it black if need be.

#33 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Voyager 1

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:46 PM

A 5 gallon bucket would probably do the trick. Is it all HOA? I hope you get a solution soon my friend!

Zactly put bucket up when observing take it down when done. Or a big paper bag. Not plastic.
  • ThermalSeeker likes this

#34 Poynting

Poynting

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Orlando, FL

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:49 PM

I don't see the tape lasting anyway even if it did help. Likely dry out and peel away.

How about making a widely tapered cone out of some sheet metal to sit on the bulb to try and reflect the light downward. Could be slightly tilted away from your direction and leave a small opening at the top to let some light hit the top of the globe to still be aesthetically pleasing. Paint the outside of it black if need be.

Zactly put bucket up when observing take it down when done. Or a big paper bag. Not plastic.

I don't own this lamp, so I don't feel comfortable doing these, especially with a cop living on the street. The paper bag idea is the least worrisome, but I then block light to everyone, which has its potential problems.

• csa/montana likes this

#35 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 06 July 2018 - 04:10 PM

I don't own this lamp, so I don't feel comfortable doing these, especially with a cop living on the street. The paper bag idea is the least worrisome, but I then block light to everyone, which has its potential problems.

I wasn't condoning installing yourself but see if you can coordinate with them and have them install an acceptable shade you make. Sounds like they are agreeable to help asap by promptly installing some unsightly tape on it.  As far as the cop he may not like the lights either.. Most I've known are just like you and I until they have to put that badge on in the morning.smile.gif

If I could only do something about my near neighbor with his 20 foot high leds lighting up his yard like a sports complex for his late night partying and cornhole games. frown.gif

• Poynting likes this

#36 MiguelStrongEye

MiguelStrongEye

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: 80113 Colorado

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:54 PM

Hope that works for you.

i wound up taking my neighbor into a zoning hearing before they’d do anything, and I was willing to do the work and supply the materials.

i was put on “probation” in college for installing switches in the j-boxes feeding a couple of particularly egregious offenders.

fortunately around here most munis are being pretty serious about light pollution.

Edited by MiguelStrongEye, 11 July 2018 - 04:55 PM.

#37 rbtparrish55

rbtparrish55

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: s.w. lower Michigan, USA

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:06 PM

I wonder if the bulb found here https://lighting.mil...-Sheet_LO4b.pdf would serve your needs.

#38 rbtparrish55

rbtparrish55

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: s.w. lower Michigan, USA

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:15 PM

https://lighting.mil...-Sheet_LO4b.pdf

#39 Cajundaddy

Cajundaddy

Apollo

• Loc: Cucamonga CA

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:30 PM

Here in CA the cities and power companies do care about street lighting safety and green energy consumption but don't give a rats behind about stars, dark skies or.... us.  Light trespass is another matter and some have had success requesting shielded lighting if they can prove it enters their home and disturbs their sleep. 

The ideal solution would be to *encourage* the HOA to *upgrade* to full cutoff decorative lighting fixtures that effectively illuminate the ground while preventing light trespass and possible future lawsuits.  These fixtures also tend to use 20% of the energy of older types so they are a "green" solution that will pay for themselves quickly and make the HOA budget look good. 

These have a similar period look to the glass fixtures in place now but are decorative full cutoff to save energy and prevent light trespass into homes.
https://www.acuitybr...-led-luminaires

In order to get the city, HOA, or power company to move on this you must emphasize what is in it for them.  Happy selling! 

Edited by Cajundaddy, 28 August 2018 - 09:55 PM.

#40 nimitz69

nimitz69

Ranger 4

• Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 01 September 2018 - 04:28 PM

In the subdivision I live in their are no street lights, instead every home has to have a front yard lamppost.  Great for the ascetic look of the neighborhood but bright lights are bright lights.  My new 14” Dob as a wheel system I designed and built into the base which allows me to leave the scope assembled in my garage (158#) and simply wheel it down the driveway to observe.

My backyard has no lights but I’m lazy and wanted to see if I could observe from my driveway ... so something HAD TO BE DONE about the lights.  My solution was to simply take all those Amazon boxes that keep showing up at my front door every day and make a very simply cardboard box shade I could slip over the top of the lamps .... problem solved.

Important notes:  there are only 3 lights to contend with, one of which is mine, and for the other 2 I simply asked my neighbors if they would mind if I temporarily covered their lamps when I was observing.  Since it’s always after 9pm they had no issue and I of course invited them to look through the scope any time I was out ....

• Vesper818 likes this

#41 delinto

delinto

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 September 2018 - 08:42 PM

I am so glad to know that someone shares my pain.  My driveway is best for viewing the night sky from home.  But, I have a lamp post from hell in my front yard.  It kills my viewing, except for the moon and Jupiter.  Currently I view from the backyard, but I am between the house and a tall tree line.

I have already considered a lot of the options that I have read on this thread.  But, I didn't seriously consider calling the power company because I didn't feel that I could make a valid case. I will research that more and make a call.  I think I can definitely make the case that the light is coming in the window too strong.

Until now, I was leaning towards making a cardboard blackout cone/box that attaches to the end of a 20-25' extension pole.  This way I could temporarily douse the light while viewing and easily remove it when I'm done.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics