•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage Large Achro-Refractors, Clarke etc. Anyone Own?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2018 - 12:30 AM

I have always had this thing for large vintage refractors, especially with brass tubes. Whether it's a Clarke, Brashear, Fitz, Bardou, Carl Zeiss, Sagemueller, Grub Parsons they all hold a special fascination to me.

I would like to hear from anyone who owns or has owned one of these scopes from the 19th century. Also, your experiences looking through these "babies" with various types of eyepieces, both vintage and modern.

Your comments on how they perform on Lunar, Planetary and Deep Sky.

And, even though it maybe a little unfair, comparisons between the vintage achromats and modern achromats and apochromats.

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 23 June 2018 - 01:17 AM

Hi, Ralph! This book lists each/every (?) Clark Refractor, and who the customers were. On the used market... when they Rarely come up... $100K for an 8-incher wouldn't surprise me. I assume you have the book already, but others might be interested. A nice, shiny 8" or larger sure would be nice... and deserving to be operational in an old-school dome. Visual use, just as when they were in their prime.

Come to think of it... back then, a 4-inch DID cost as much as a HOUSE!  Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• Book 60.jpg

#3 B 26354

B 26354

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:29 AM

Hi, Ralph! This book lists each/every (?) Clark Refractor, and who the customers were. On the used market... when they Rarely come up... $100K for an 8-incher wouldn't surprise me. I assume you have the book already, but others might be interested. A nice, shiny 8" or larger sure would be nice... and deserving to be operational in an old-school dome. Visual use, just as when they were in their prime.

Come to think of it... back then, a 4-inch DID cost as much as a HOUSE!  Tom

Thanks for the post. I love my well-worn 1968 1st edition, but didn't realize there was a '95 2nd ed. Just ordered a used copy from Amazon. As president of a local astronomy club, I had access to a small college's 4" Clark (on a brass, pendulum-driven EQ mount) for several years, during my teens and early twenties. I'd sell my non-existent soul to have that scope now.

#4 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:42 AM

Our club runs Chamberlin Observatory containing a 20" Clark/Sagemueler built in 1894.  The optics (scope and eyepieces) were taken apart and cleaned recently.  Our Chief Observer is Jack Eastman, who owns at least one, possibly more Clark.  He also has a functional 1.5" reflector made from the mirror of one of the first C8s, which he helped design.  If I only knew half of what this man has forgotten, I'd be a happy astronomer.

#5 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:44 AM

Moved to Refractors, for better fit.

#6 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 23 June 2018 - 01:37 PM

Our club runs Chamberlin Observatory containing a 20" Clark/Sagemueler built in 1894.  The optics (scope and eyepieces) were taken apart and cleaned recently.  Our Chief Observer is Jack Eastman, who owns at least one, possibly more Clark.  He also has a functional 1.5" reflector made from the mirror of one of the first C8s, which he helped design.  If I only knew half of what this man has forgotten, I'd be a happy astronomer.

I see Jack and his 6" Clark every year at the OkieTex Star Party.  Jack is one of the finest gentlemen you'd ever want to meet.  He spends most of his nights there selflessly in 'outreach' mode as everyone drops by to see through the old Clark... I wonder if he ever gets to look at stuff HE wants to see.....

IMG_2183.jpg

Dave

• Scott Beith, Paul Hyndman, stevew and 3 others like this

#7 LMO

LMO

Vostok 1

• Loc: Salt Lake City, UT

Posted 23 June 2018 - 04:13 PM

There is a very well-known Clark 9" out here in Utah, originally owned by the University of Utah, donated as no-longer-wanted to a smaller Utah college, then rescued from there by CN member 'Ziggy943' -- just as it was about to be thrown away!  He has now passed it along to his son, and it still appears occasionally at Utah star parties, an outreach generosity and bit of good luck for those of us in Utah.

Passing of the 9" Clark refractor:
<https://www.cloudyni.../#entry6962512>

Homage to 9" Glass (with photos):
<https://www.cloudyni.../#entry7517169>

I met him for the first time last night at an outreach star party, essentially in the middle of Salt Lake City, held by the Salt Lake Astronomical Society.  To that one, he had brought 'just' his TEC 160 ED!  A very informative and patient fellow to talk to, as well as one very generous with his really fine equipment.

Larry

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics