•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion starseeker IV reflector OTAs uncollimateable

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BonnieLucy

BonnieLucy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2018 - 03:42 PM

I ordered directly from Orion Telescope Center an Orion Starseeker IV 150 reflector mount and trip[od package.  I had talked to a numnber of Orion sales and tech people and everything threy told me about the Starseeker IV mount was what I am looking for. It arrived Tuesday and I assembled the tripod and mount head very quickly.  Because I have owned several 6" F-5 newtonians previously I ordered the package with the 150 reflector OTA.  When I examined the OTA I noticed that at the rear of the tube where I expected to see the primary mirror and mount, instead I saw a plastic cover which would inhibit any circulation of air to equalize the  mirror surface with the outside temperature and I could not see anyway of collimating the primary mirror.  I called Orion and told sales and tech people about this.  They explained that both the 150 OTA and the 130 OTA were designed so that the primary mirrors cannot be collimated, even though Orion encloses an Aline collimation eyecap  with these scopes (what the hell for?)  Over the years I have bought numbers of Orion products and customer service had been excellent.  I asked if I could return or swap out the OTA and was told that Orions return policy would require that I repack and return everything from the package, not just the OTA.  In the past I have had Intelliscope computer Object locators give me problems, I was able to return only the COL for repair or replacement, without having to pack up the entire package , base, OTA and all.  So beware.I was told by Sales that many beginners are buying these scopes.  I believe that selling this package with OTAs that cannot be collimated will deprive someone in their early years in the astronomy hobby of the usefulness of circulation around the primary mirror and the ability to collimate it.  Thanks for the opportunity to explain this issue.

Jim Phelps

Edited by BonnieLucy, 23 June 2018 - 06:12 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, ShaulaB and Augustus like this

#2 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Viking 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 23 June 2018 - 04:40 PM

This trend has been going on for years, and I don't like it. Some manufacturers and vendors sell absolute crap to beginners to hit a specific price point. The assumption seems to be that beginners don't know squat about observing, and if the beginner wants a better experience, he/she will shell out more money to get a more appropriate scope for his/her needs.

• BonnieLucy likes this

#3 George Methvin

George Methvin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 24 June 2018 - 07:29 AM

I have often thought way do scopes need to be collimated at all? they should all be preset at the factory and locked down so they never ever need to be collimated again, why is that so undoable I wonder. I guess there must be a reason why that is not the case. Anyway sorry about your problem hope you get it taken care of.

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 24 June 2018 - 10:01 AM

Bonnie:

Hello and :welcome: to Cloudy Nights.

This very issue has been discussed here previously. I think the scopes are designed for beginners who have low expectations are who might be overwhelmed by collimation.

It personally think it does no one a favor. You are obviously a knowledgeable observer and understand the importance of collimation.  This scope needs to be collimateable for buyers like yourself.  For a beginner, if they don't want to attempt collimation immediately.. Just wait.

Jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics