•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

vdB 96 and LBN 1059

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Thommes

Jim Thommes

Aurora

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San DiegoCA USA

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:34 PM

Hi folks,
Here is an image of vdB 96 and LBN 1059 (SH2-310). This field has only part of LBN 1059 which is a part of the larger yet Sharpless 310. This field covers less than half of the LBN 1059 structure. LBN 1059 is ionized by two stars - 29 CMa and 30 CMa - both of which are off of this field to the lower right. The Sharpless 310 emission structure is one of the largest single HII regions in the Milky Way.

The blue reflection nebula is van den Bergh 96 - also cataloged as LBN  1058 and CED 96 (parts a, b, c ). The small dark smudge in vdB 96 is a grouping of Herbig-Haro objects (all parts of HH 92).  

There are several dark nebulae in this field - the most visually apparent is LBN 1660 just above vdB 96. This field also contains three open star clusters - Trumpler 6,  Ruprecht 17, and Milky Way Star Cluster  (MWSC) 1215. 

Image and details can be accessed at the link below. The annotated image can also be accessed from a link below provided for convenience, but it can also be accessed from the main image page.

vdB96_FSQ_PS4-IP2_Crp_small.jpg

vdB 96 and LBN 1059

Annotated Image:
http://www.jthommes....p_annotated.jpg

Scope: FSQ-106N at f/5
Camera: Atik 383L (Astronomik Gen 2 Ha LRGB Filters)

• ManuelJ, buckeyestargazer, psandelle and 7 others like this

#2 Rick J

Rick J

Cosmos

• Loc: Mantrap Lake, MN

Posted 24 June 2018 - 12:03 AM

Nice field.  Lots going on in it.

That one is too far south for me, unfortunately. 

Rick

#3 starblue

starblue

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, TX, USA

Posted 24 June 2018 - 12:21 AM

Interesting area. What's the catalog "Milky Way Star Cluster"? I've never heard of it, and Sky Safari doesn't know about it.

#4 schmeah

schmeah

Skylab

• Loc: Morristown, NJ

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:47 AM

Amazing field. I love the reflection in emission.

Derek

#5 Dan Crowson

Dan Crowson

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: O'Fallon, MO

Posted 24 June 2018 - 11:07 AM

Jim,

excellent image. I love the framing. I don't think I've seen this one framed like this with the Ha.

Dan

#6 Cristina Cellini

Cristina Cellini

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ravenna, Italy

Posted 24 June 2018 - 11:58 AM

Very nice image! I think it is the first time I see this object.

Cristina

#7 Jim Thommes

Jim Thommes

Aurora

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2018 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for the comments folks.

Interesting area. What's the catalog "Milky Way Star Cluster"? I've never heard of it, and Sky Safari doesn't know about it.

The MWSC catalog is the result of w star cluster survey conducted by KHARCHENKO N.V., PISKUNOV A.E., SCHILBACH E., ROESER S. and SCHOLZ R.-D. They started with 3,784 targets and found 3,006 are real clusters. The catalog contains the 3,006 objects; the index contains all 3,784 targets.The link to the survey paper is below. from that page you can navigate to the details. Simbad suggests to avoids using "MWSC" prefix, but instead use "KPS". So you may find these catalog prefixes used interchangeably. I think it is a better source for stars cluster data  than WEBDA (even for commonly known star clusters).

The "read me" tab explains the catalog contents. The "Browse" tab has links to text dumps that you can parse into a spreadsheet 

Link - http://cdsarc.u-stra...3&target=brief

Most practical is the "Vizier" tab. You can specify your catalog table contents and Vizier makes a table that you can copy and past into a spreadsheet for future reference.

As a general note for those who may not know about them, I find three sources of information invaluable for my astronomy research:

* SImbad database - a compilation of common astronomical catalogs -useful for annotation of images.

* NED database - a compilation of astronomical databases with a focus on extra-galactic objects - galaxy information

* Vizier - Catalog of astronomical catalogs (17,346! currently) - I know this number of catalogs sounds crazy, but Vizier helps sort things out

I am not surprised Sky Safari does not know about MWSC (it might know KPS). When you think about it, it is pretty hard to incorporate the immense amount of astronomical data into a planetarium program. And hold onto your seat, because Big Data is coming up with all of the survey telescopes in work. - Really Big Data.

#8 rob77

rob77

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cuneo (Italy) / Belo Horizonte (Brazil)

Posted 24 June 2018 - 12:49 PM

Beautiful image. The colours are simply stunning!

Congrats.

Bests.

Roberto

#9 jhayes_tucson

jhayes_tucson

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 24 June 2018 - 03:33 PM

Congratulations, that's really nice Jim!  

John

#10 DaveB

DaveB

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: New England

Posted 24 June 2018 - 08:50 PM

Awesome image, Jim. It's easy to get lost in space when viewing the full resolution image. 

Regarding catalogs and planetarium software, I use SkyMap, which incorporates external catalogs. When I see an interesting image like this one, I look at it to see what hidden gems are lurking in the background. There are several stars from the Cool Galactic Carbon Stars, 2nd Edition (Stephenson 1989). They show up nicely in a deep red color in your image. I need to add the full LBN and MWSC catalogs, since neither LBN 1059 nor the MWSC cluster show up.

Regarding "big data", I've actually incorporated the full HyperLEDA catalog (about 4M galaxies), but only enable it at full-zoom. Otherwise, I'd be looking at a solid green screen lol.gif. It only lists one galaxy in your FOV (PGC 2825122) but I couldn't find it in the image.

#11 Jim Thommes

Jim Thommes

Aurora

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2018 - 12:37 AM

Roberto, John,

Thanks for the comments

Awesome image, Jim. It's easy to get lost in space when viewing the full resolution image. 

Regarding catalogs and planetarium software, I use SkyMap, which incorporates external catalogs. When I see an interesting image like this one, I look at it to see what hidden gems are lurking in the background. There are several stars from the Cool Galactic Carbon Stars, 2nd Edition (Stephenson 1989). They show up nicely in a deep red color in your image. I need to add the full LBN and MWSC catalogs, since neither LBN 1059 nor the MWSC cluster show up.

Regarding "big data", I've actually incorporated the full HyperLEDA catalog (about 4M galaxies), but only enable it at full-zoom. Otherwise, I'd be looking at a solid green screen lol.gif. It only lists one galaxy in your FOV (PGC 2825122) but I couldn't find it in the image.

Dave,

Thanks for the comment. Yeah, I am not familiar with Ski Safari, but if it accepts external catalogs, then it can do anything you put into it - as long as you don't mind flooding your screen with items laugh.gif. Thanks for input on the carbon stars - Maybe I should pay more attention to some of the special stars in my annotations.

I can,t locate a reference for PGC 2825122. I do see that NED has about 34 galaxies in this field - but none with redshift or visual magnitude.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics