•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Options following the catastrophic failure of my LX200 GPS EMC 10”

DIY Meade SCT
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dennebola

Dennebola

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:11 AM

Hello and some background - my astronomy is mostly visual with some wide field photography - I'm retired Engineer (Electronic)  living  400m from the Indian Ocean in South Africa although I have access to the Karoo region for  my viewing. However...

My trusty LX200 GPS EMC of 10-12 years vintage damaged the loom between arms and base board to the point where the fuse blew on the 12V supply and the handset died. In analysis it seems it somehow managed to pick up +12V line in the aluminum interrupter plate ripping it out the connector and waving it around. I have determined the front panel electronics are damaged to the point where it draws 100mA instead of +-5mA. The 5V LM2931 regulator goes into thermal protection mode, I did replace it, no change. Due to my location in South Africa it is not cost effective to ship anything anywhere for repair, it’s DIY or nothing.

Is there a viable source of replacement/refurbished main boards for this model  although I have access to SMT repair facility but I am loath to dive in the replacement of SMT components  like the RS232 drivers and glue logic only to find the HC11 or PIC is blown and not available in the programmed state. The reports of Meade’s after sales service do not seem to be very complimentary!
This is my first query I have a plan “B” but want to explore the above option to its limit. Thanks for your attention and input. 

Kind Regards

Dennis

#2 scngc7317

scngc7317

Mariner 2

• Loc: CA

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:39 AM

http://astronomy-sho...com/?page_id=35

#3 Dennebola

Dennebola

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:20 AM

Thank you for this info - The cost of shipping and deposit+cost for any repairs in the USA  would exceed the economic viability of the 'scope. Something like this in the EU perhaps?

#4 1CM69

1CM69

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:20 AM

Thank you for this info - The cost of shipping and deposit+cost for any repairs in the USA  would exceed the economic viability of the 'scope. Something like this in the EU perhaps?

How about this place: https://sctelescopes.com/

regards..,

• Dennebola likes this

#5 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:32 PM

I had an LXD 750 which I believe may have used some of the same electronics.

I tried in vain to find parts for spares, but to no avail.   

When I was ready to move on, I had trouble selling it, and I actually parted it out for almost as much as I had hoped to sell it for.  One guy bought all of the internal boards, and one guy bought the motors.  Another bought the handset.

If you are lucky, you may be able to find the parts, but Meade will almost for sure not have them.  

If the caps in the handset blew (which I understand to be a prime failure, it can do a lot of damage.   There was a guy in the US that would re-cap these, but I forget who it was.   This though may be your best option.. Find someone that can repair the boards or handset without having to ship the entire scope, which these days, along with the cost of the repair, are more than the mount is worth. 

Edited by Eddgie, 25 June 2018 - 02:33 PM.

#6 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Voyager 1

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:48 PM

New handsets can be had just about anywhere.   For the other electronics try advertising (place a "want" ad) on Astromart.

You may be a victim of the capacitor plague.  

You might consider a stepper motor version of the Losmandy G11.  It will last probably longer than you do.  Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. 

But if you want go-to you would need to get it with Gemini handset.  Most people find that system reliable, but there are occasional complaints about getting it to work.  

You can also try this guy.  He has an immense personal inventory of older telescopes and their parts.  He is expensive relative to astromart but when you consider the quantity of inventory he keeps for the day that you *might* need some obscure part, he's worth it.  

Greg N

• Stephen Kennedy likes this

#7 E Sully

E Sully

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: New York

Posted 26 June 2018 - 11:52 AM

The GPS version of the LX200 had updated electronics and is not prone to capacitor problems of the LX200 Classic.

Mead still has spare parts for the GPS scopes, but none for the older Classic.

https://www.meade.com/spare-parts.html

#8 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:08 PM

PM sent re local solution.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DIY, Meade, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics