•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Svbony sv105

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#26 Lewis & Clark

Lewis & Clark

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne Australia

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:40 PM

To me it looks blurry.

Either it's out of focus (fixed by turning the focuser of your 6SE until the image improves)

...or exposure is too high, which needs lowering exposure to the minimum millisecond value, and/or using a filter to dim  the image (a moon, or ND, or variable polarizing filter). If it's exposure, then a barlow could also help (by making the image larger, the barlow spreads the light)

I set up last night for a few hours, played around with a few settings, Still far from happy with the result, but better than my first attempt with the SV105

Attached Thumbnails

• jupiter final image.jpg

#27 Lewis & Clark

Lewis & Clark

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:10 PM

I have tried to work the sv 105 with my 5SE. I can't get anything on my laptop but varying shades of gray. I wrote into the company (no one there seems fluent in English). She ultimately concluded I would need a focal reducer. Is this worth trying or should I just return the thing? Just trying to get a little beginenner astrophotography started.

I had the same problem, Here is my first attempt, just grey tones, and my second attempt which has a lot more detail, I changed the exposure times from 63ms (first attempt) to 15ms (last night) which brought out a lot of detail that was lost due to being over exposed, i'm new to Lunar photography, and got this one on my second attempt. there is still room for improvement, But there getting better..... 

equipment used....... Celestron 6se, SV105, Smartcap 3.1, registax6, and touched up using https://www7.lunapic.com which is  image editing software.

moon  first attempt.jpg      Moon second attempt.jpg

• ATM57 likes this

#28 ATM57

ATM57

Viking 1

• Loc: Stallion Springs, CA

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:42 PM

Rima Ariadaeus tonight.

Attached Thumbnails

• Rima Ariadaeus.jpg

• mattyfatz and xvariablestarx like this

#29 Lewis & Clark

Lewis & Clark

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 04 November 2019 - 02:43 AM

Wow.I'm impressed, that was taken with the SV105????.  I have not had a session since  the Last pictures i showed you, Weather in melbourne Has not been  nice........... Would an old Olympus E-620 DSLR Be better than trying to use the SV105, i have one that just needs a new CF memory card, will cost me about $70 to get up and running?

#30 ATM57

ATM57

Viking 1

Posted 04 November 2019 - 12:19 PM

I'm not using anything extra or fancy to get my shots. I do find that taking time to focus is critical. After each capture I refocus. I have also found that through a series of captures there will be a couple that are a bit sharper than the others. Seeing conditions and focus are factors. Registax wavelett settings (learned by trial and error) are also critical.

I have never used a DSLR for astrophotography so I can't answer your question.

Edited by ATM57, 04 November 2019 - 12:56 PM.

#31 ATM57

ATM57

Viking 1

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:28 AM

Plato and the Alpine Valley tonight. I got hints of the twin craters in Plato despite the seeing. No central rille in the Alpine Valley. Oh well. Maybe the seeing will be better next month wink.gif  The seeing was about 4-5/10.

Attached Thumbnails

• Alpine Valley and Plato.jpg

• Jason H., robj64, ghpicard and 1 other like this

#32 ATM57

ATM57

Viking 1

Posted 07 December 2019 - 02:09 AM

Still "messing around" learning processing software. Since the weather has been poop (wind, rain, clouds, snow storms, all of the above) since the beginning of November, I looked at my previous captures with the SV105 from the 5th of November and forgot that I had shot the crater Hadley and its rille. Just sharing smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• Hadley 5 Nov 2019.jpg

• Adun and ghpicard like this

#33 ATM57

ATM57

Viking 1

Posted 27 December 2019 - 12:35 AM

Learning more software tweaks... Less ham fisted, more finesse. Compare the Jupiter image (C14 reduced to 117mm) with post #18. The moons were there in the original image but I didn't know how to bring them out when I processed the original.

Attached Thumbnails

• Straight Wall.jpg
  • 20July19.jpg

Edited by ATM57, 27 December 2019 - 01:55 AM.

• Adun likes this

#34 Adun

Adun

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 29 December 2019 - 09:30 PM

Learning more software tweaks... Less ham fisted, more finesse. Compare the Jupiter image (C14 reduced to 117mm) with post #18. The moons were there in the original image but I didn't know how to bring them out when I processed the original.

Nice!

With the exact date and time of the picture, you can use this website to figure out which moons you imaged.

• ATM57 likes this

#35 ATM57

ATM57

Viking 1

Posted 30 December 2019 - 12:18 AM

Thanks cool.gif I rechecked the date of the original capture of Jupiter with my sky charting software (Guide 9) and noticed that I forgot to flip the photo (N/S). This old brain sometimes gets a bit lost in the excitement. grin.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• 20 July 19.JPG

• Adun likes this

#36 ATM57

ATM57

Viking 1

Posted 02 February 2020 - 02:30 AM

I missed the good seeing window but took some shots anyway. I finally caught the central rille in the Alpine Valley. I wish I had shot the Alpine Valley about a 1/2 hour earlier in dim twilight when the seeing was better. I also tried my hand at double stars. I was able to get the pup next to Sirius and the companion of Rigel. I need to work on making the star images better. Time for a more advanced camera? Had fun.

Attached Thumbnails

• Alpine Valley 1.jpg
  • Alpine Valley.jpg
  • Rigel.jpg
  • Sirius and the Pup1.jpg

• Jason H. and robj64 like this

#37 ATM57

ATM57

Viking 1

Posted 05 February 2020 - 02:20 AM

And the learning continues... I'm still amazed at the power of image processing software. I have been going over my summer captures and when I look at the Sharpcap video images all I see is shimmering images in bad seeing. Yet the processing software has the ability to make what looks like a bad capture a good image. I know this is quite obvious and "old hat" to many, but this is all fairly new to me so please forgive my continuing amazement. What will get on a good night of seeing with this beginners camera?

The pics show three processing steps. With each processing step the image becomes better and better. Without a doubt I know that there are many other tweaks and tricks I need to learn. And the fun continues...

Looking forward to the planet the bonanza coming this summer/fall. cool.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• Saturn_Stacked in Registax.jpg
  • Saturn_Wavelet Processed in Registax.jpg
  • Saturn_Paint Shop Pro.jpg

• Jason H., xvariablestarx, Mike R and 1 other like this

#38 ATM57

ATM57

Viking 1

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:52 PM

Shot with a Sky-Watcher Evostar 150ED refractor. I'm still having fun with this cheap camera. smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• Tycho.jpg
  • Tycho 1 1024.jpg

• Jason H. and EuropaWill like this

#39 Lewis & Clark

Lewis & Clark

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:42 PM

You Get some great images with a $50 camera, Keep them coming, Great shots mate!

• ATM57 likes this

#40 Lewis & Clark

Lewis & Clark

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:48 PM

I missed the good seeing window but took some shots anyway. I finally caught the central rille in the Alpine Valley. I wish I had shot the Alpine Valley about a 1/2 hour earlier in dim twilight when the seeing was better. I also tried my hand at double stars. I was able to get the pup next to Sirius and the companion of Rigel. I need to work on making the star images better. Time for a more advanced camera? Had fun.

I'm still tossing up between the ZWO ASI294MC Pro CMOS Imaging Camera for Wide-Field use

ZW0 ASI178MC CMOS Imaging Camera for Narrow-Field use, Very expensive But i need a quality camera for deep space imaging.

• ATM57 likes this

#41 ATM57

ATM57

Viking 1

Posted 16 July 2020 - 04:41 PM

Still hacking... It took some software adjustment to go from the C14 to the 150ED. Looking at the results I'm getting with the Evostar 150ED has me wondering if I need to change some things I'm doing with the C14 or if the C-14 is seeing limited? That is why I'm still using this inexpensive camera. It looks like I have much more to learn. Last night's capture of Jupiter with the 150ED came out OK in 5-6/10 seeing. The image is close to my C14 images confused1.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• Sky-Watcher Evostar 150ED.jpg

#42 Gary Esterly

Gary Esterly

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Shelton, Washington

Posted 19 June 2021 - 04:34 AM

Greetings-

I have been experimenting with my SV105 camera and a Celestron C8. I have had no problems running the Smartcap soft ware and gathering images. I am just beginning to learn about processing the images and would like to know if anyone can recommend software that will allow me to process the AVI files from the camera, specifically, I would like to be able to  save specific frames as a JPEG. I read about the AstroDMX linux software, but there does not appear to be a download page for this and could find no contact information for Steve Wainwright. I should mention that I am working almost exclusively on Linux but I do have a Windows laptop. Thanks for your help.

#43 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Limerick, Ireland

Posted 19 June 2021 - 05:27 AM

Greetings-

I have been experimenting with my SV105 camera and a Celestron C8. I have had no problems running the Smartcap soft ware and gathering images. I am just beginning to learn about processing the images and would like to know if anyone can recommend software that will allow me to process the AVI files from the camera, specifically, I would like to be able to  save specific frames as a JPEG. I read about the AstroDMX linux software, but there does not appear to be a download page for this and could find no contact information for Steve Wainwright. I should mention that I am working almost exclusively on Linux but I do have a Windows laptop. Thanks for your help.

I managed to get Firecapture working in  Linux with another cam, not SV105, but it might work with that also, worth a try. I also got Oacapture working on my Desktop, but not my laptop, so that may be an option. Don't know of any of them that save as JPG, it is a lossy format I think, perhaps best suited to the final image after stacking etc.

#44 Adun

Adun

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 June 2021 - 09:50 AM

I am just beginning to learn about processing the images and would like to know if anyone can recommend software that will allow me to process the AVI files from the camera

Try registax

#45 ngp99

ngp99

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Dee Why NSW

Posted 25 July 2021 - 01:56 AM

What great stuff in replies 31, 36 & 37!!!

Clearly, an SV105 will do for starters, so I'm now inspired to get one, and  use the Alpine Valley as the benchmark with a C8.

Thanks.

• ATM57 likes this

#46 NK351c

NK351c

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:00 PM

I've been wanting to try my luck with imaging since I got my scope but it didn't seem practical for the cost with a manual Dob. However, I saw the SV105 on Ebay on sale for $36 and figured I'll give it go for that price. At the least, it would be a good way to see if imaging was for me or not. Seeing was pretty good last week and I grabbed some of my first captures of the moon, Jup and Saturn. I didn't get a lot of usable videos, but I did kind of, get into a good rhythm towards the end, getting ahead of the planet and letting it pass through while recording. Combined my captures with Pipp and finished them in  Registax 6. My first images were a little fuzz but i was happy with the results, but after watching a couple more vids on YT, I was able to sharpen them up pretty good for such a low frame count. Here's my first attempt on captures processed. Any Do's, Don'ts, tips, tricks , wavelet table setting or links would be be much appreciated. grin.gif

Edit: This thread should probably be moved to Planetary Imaging.

NK

Attached Thumbnails

• Sat-repro2-2.jpg
  • Jup-pro3.jpg

Edited by NK351c, 22 September 2021 - 10:08 PM.

#47 spaceboi

spaceboi

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 September 2021 - 07:46 AM

Hi all,

Will the sv105 manage to focus with a (cheap) F/5 80mm refractor with a 3X Barlow lens? Focal length will be 1200mm. I saw somewhere that above 1000mm it may be unable to focus. What do you think? Thanks.

#48 ngp99

ngp99

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Dee Why NSW

Posted 01 October 2021 - 01:58 AM

DIFFICULT might be a better choice of word but not likely to be impossible. It is very easy to conclude you've got nothing, but it may simply be way out of focus. You can take comfort from posts above wherein users have Celestron C8 and C14, which have focal lengths 2000mm and more, and may have a far harder time with it than you. One problem with El Cheapo reflectors is that the focusser will not collapse sufficiently to accommodate a camera. This may apply to your refractor too but, if it does, you may find that you can fix that with the Barlow(!)

Edited by ngp99, 01 October 2021 - 02:02 AM.

#49 Zombie1974

Zombie1974

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 October 2021 - 07:54 PM

its compatible with linux?

#50 ATM57

ATM57

Viking 1

Posted 10 October 2021 - 06:38 PM

I reworked the Data from the Jupiter picture in post#18 There was much more there than I thought. I repeat again that the 105 is a cheap investment for a beginners camera. I learned a lot using it.

Attached Thumbnails

• Jupiter 05JUL2021_SV105_C14_1.jpg

Edited by ATM57, 10 October 2021 - 06:40 PM.

• Aquat0ne likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics