•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Changing From Argo Navis To Nexus DSC Requirements

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Natscher

Peter Natscher

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Coast California

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:22 PM

Hello Equipment Forum,

I've decided to try the Nexus DSC on my 16" Dob.  It's operating with ServoCat Gen 3 and Argo Navis.  I've ordered the Nexus and am now reviewing what I will have to do in the way of cable connections to make the change from the Argo Navis cable setup to the Nexus cable setup.  I think there are differences in cable plugs between the two DSCs. It's initially looking a bit confusing to me as to what cable(s) are ok to keep and what cable(s) require replacement.   My Argo unit is attached to a Markless Astronomics DSC Stalk with all cable plug connections at the bottom of the stalk.  Has anyone already done this switch between these two DSCs and would be kind enough to tell me in a nut shell what cables were changed, are needed, and are still good?

Thanks,

Peter

#2 Roland David

Roland David

Explorer 1

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 28 June 2018 - 09:06 PM

Hi Peter,

I did the same switch for two of my telescopes, but they are Push-to, not Go-to.

I use the same cables as for the Argo Navis without problem.

You should ask Serge at Astro Devices about the specific of the wiring of your scope.  He was very helpful and even call me few times to be sure he understands my need before selling me its devices.

Good luck and by the way, you will love your Nexus DSC.  It is very user friendly, battery life is very long (no need anymore for me to power it in the field), no need to heat the unit in cold temperature (as we have here in winter in Canada).

Roland.

#3 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Soyuz

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 29 June 2018 - 02:46 AM

Peter, you need to budget for ten seconds of your time to unplug the cables to the Argo, and replug them into the Nexus, that’s about it. Then there will be a few settings to enter specifically for your 16”, mainly the encoder steps, as entered in your Argo. Then you will be up and running.

#4 Darren Drake

Darren Drake

Soyuz

• Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:46 AM

I just made the switch from AN to Nexus and am going through the learning curve.  I've already had a few conversations with Serge and sent an email last night.  Generally it's so far so good with a few minor issues regarding tracking with servocat.   I will be watching this thread also..

#5 Darren Drake

Darren Drake

Soyuz

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:46 AM

I just made the switch from AN to Nexus and am going through the learning curve.  I've already had a few conversations with Serge and sent an email last night.  Generally it's so far so good with a few minor issues regarding tracking with servocat.   I will be watching this thread also..

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20180629_11802.jpg

#6 Peter Natscher

Peter Natscher

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Coast California

Posted 03 July 2018 - 10:39 AM

I receive my Nexus DSC unit yesterday and have configured it to operate on my 16" Dob.  It was easy!  All I need to do is rework the acrylic shelf on the Markless DSC Stalk to hold the Nexus temporarily.  The cable connections are at the bottom of the unit versus at the top on the Argo. The current acrylic shelf holding the ArgoNavis and ServoCat HC side-by-side is too small in width for the wider Nexus. Charlie at Markless Astronomics has the proper acrylic shelf sized for the Nexus unit and ServoCat Hand Controller to lie side-by-side and I intent to order one.

#7 Darren Drake

Darren Drake

Soyuz

Posted 03 July 2018 - 04:22 PM

I am interested in knowing how tracking on the nexus compares to the argo with auto lock for you.  I am starting to miss the autolock feature of the argo but can switch back and forth if need be...

#8 lionel

lionel

Ranger 4

• Loc: Delaware

Posted 04 July 2018 - 08:41 PM

I receive my Nexus DSC unit yesterday and have configured it to operate on my 16" Dob.  It was easy!  All I need to do is rework the acrylic shelf on the Markless DSC Stalk to hold the Nexus temporarily.  The cable connections are at the bottom of the unit versus at the top on the Argo. The current acrylic shelf holding the ArgoNavis and ServoCat HC side-by-side is too small in width for the wider Nexus. Charlie at Markless Astronomics has the proper acrylic shelf sized for the Nexus unit and ServoCat Hand Controller to lie side-by-side and I intent to order one.

A year ago I had a similar situation with the Markless stalk on my 16” dob. It was designed for a Sky Commander DSC and ServoCat hand paddle and was too small to carry my new Nexus DSC and the hand paddle. At the time Charlie didn’t sell a shelf for the Nexus so I decided to make an extension for the existing acrylic shelf.  Lowe’s sells 8”x10” acrylic and Lexan sheets for a couple of bucks. I bought a 2 mm thick Lexan sheet (stiffer and stronger than acrylic) and had them cut it to my desired size. I drilled some holes in it and bolted it to existing holes in the acrylic shelf. Total time to design, make and attach the shelf extension...less than an hour.

Lionel

Attached Thumbnails

• F91FF4AB-4E70-467F-826E-C434B0459A9F.jpeg

Edited by lionel, 04 July 2018 - 10:07 PM.

#9 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:37 PM

I am interested in knowing how tracking on the nexus compares to the argo with auto lock for you.  I am starting to miss the autolock feature of the argo but can switch back and forth if need be...

From Serge at AstroDevices:

https://www.cloudyni...ocat/?p=8381447

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics