•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Easy, Attractive, Non-Destructive Mod For E.S. Twilight I Mount

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 erin

erin

Viking 1

• Loc: MA

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:46 PM

Mandopickr—

Looking forward to hearing how you do. Good luck! waytogo.gif

#27 SDTopensied

SDTopensied

Viking 1

• Loc: Atlanta

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:13 PM

I put my Twilight I on an old LXD75 tripod which is identical to the Twilight II and EXOS 2 tripods...made a big difference.  It fits perfectly with no modification.

-Steve

• Mr. Mike and mandopickr like this

#28 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Churchville, NY

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:52 PM

I put my Twilight I on an old LXD75 tripod which is identical to the Twilight II and EXOS 2 tripods...made a big difference.  It fits perfectly with no modification.

-Steve

I think those complete mounts are on sale right now at HP Scientific for a great price.  Ill be doing Jim's mod this weekend though which should be good for me but nice choice on the LX75 tripod.  ;)

#29 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 17 September 2020 - 07:04 AM

Glad I found this old thread.  

I recently bought a TW1 mount and have been using it with a 5" F15 Mak.   Vibration has not been much of an issue even at 200X.

I just placed an order with Astronomics for the AT102ED and knew that there would be some issues with vibration at high mag so I started looking for solutions.   The key was to understand where the problem was, in the mount or the tripod.  

Based on Jim's wood block modification, it seems to be mostly in the mount and that will be an easy addition to the mount.

Thanks to everyone for posting their experience and their additions/updates to the original mod.  I know know what to do. 

• erin likes this

#30 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 17 September 2020 - 07:53 AM

Interesting.  I do not doubt the results you all are reporting.  However I suspect the role of the wood is to dampen the high frequency vibrations that travel through the metal arm.  My intuition would be that you not are getting much in the way of actual out of plane twisting of the arm itself.  However, I would NOT be surprised if that arm rings like a bell and clamping it with two pieces of birch would certainly stop that!  I suspect the mechanical engineers in the audience might weigh in.  The results are what matters, in any event:-) 

It does look like a simple modification that I might try on ours here at home!  Pretty cool.  

JMD

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics