•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, eBay, and other vintage, classic telescope ads

• Please log in to reply
408 replies to this topic

#51 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 04 July 2018 - 08:53 AM

My Vixen 102 -FL with  GPDX/drives came out of FL last year.  $1200.  12 hr drive to pick it up in Tampa, but worth it.

That is a an awesome deal.

• terraclarke and Defenderslideguitar like this

#52 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Vanguard

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:24 AM

Beats me why FL has the least deals and just always seems to have junky SCT's or 60mm scopes on CL. Old school Newts and Unitrons are super rare here. And when there is a rare nice scope the price is sky high.

I got my excellent 1983 C-8 in FL (only 30 min from me). However, right after that all the good deals left FL! smile.gif

• Steve_M_M and Bomber Bob like this

#53 rfic1

rfic1

Viking 1

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:07 AM

Don't forget that nice AP Star12 with the vintage AP600 mount, pier and accessories for $2100!. Recently listed by the new owner for around 6K.

That was in Florida and close to Tampa if I recall. 

#54 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Voyager 1

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:10 AM

I am not counting AP's, C8's and or Vixens. I am talking old school Newts and Unitrons. AP's and C8's have never really been on my radar as i have had them and was not crazy about them other than that one freaky super good C8 from 1984 that was not a FL deal.

#55 Stargoat

Stargoat

Apollo

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:26 AM

One of the finder scope rings is missing. Not easy to come across. You'll want to ask the seller if it's there in the box or not.

The second finder scope ring is in the box. I see the first version of the lighted tray arm which was painted black with an arc shape as opposed to the chrome version that was more adjustable.

Going by the Sears catalogs, the addition of the light was first mentioned in the Spring 1965 general catalog and also the Fall catalog as well. By Spring 1966, the first version of the 6339 with the silver and black color scheme replaced the 6335.

If someone here picks this up, please post the serial number etc. Thanks.

• leveye and Bomber Bob like this

#56 starman876

starman876

Hubble

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:52 AM

I am not counting AP's, C8's and or Vixens. I am talking old school Newts and Unitrons. AP's and C8's have never really been on my radar as i have had them and was not crazy about them other than that one freaky super good C8 from 1984 that was not a FL deal.

But Chas, you have sold all those scopes yourself in FL.  You claim to have had more scopes than anyone else so you must have  sold a lot of scopes in FL.

#57 jcricket

jcricket

Vostok 1

• Loc: Denver Area

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:58 AM

The meade is now home with megrin.gif grin.gif grin.gif grin.gif grin.gif

Overall condition is EXC+++

Gel coat is perfect, no chips or crazing. No rust anywhere. Optics or very dusty but no apparent damage. Paint on the mount is excellent. 

Things to be done:

1. clean out the solidified glue(grease) in the focuser

2. clean the optics

3. adjust the worm gear on the drive - way too loose.

4. Adjust the clutch on the dri e - way too tight.

5 Enjoy!!!!!

I'll post some pics after I get it apart and fine tuned.

more to come.......................

• Paul Hyndman, Peter B, Marc-Andre and 5 others like this

#58 VPilot

VPilot

Vostok 1

• Loc: Tehachapi, California

Posted 04 July 2018 - 12:39 PM

For any here for whom money is no object,  here's an 8" F/13.4 brass scope used in Antartica in the 60's.   Just be prepared to have to buy a surplus Sherman tank to use as a base for the mount.

Telescope 8" Brass Refractor

Tim

VPilot

#59 LarsJ

LarsJ

Mariner 2

• Loc: Sycamore, IL

Posted 04 July 2018 - 12:56 PM

Happy Independence Day, everyone!     usa.gif 

For a mere $200, you can be the proud owner of this exceedingly RARE Jason 313 equipped with seldom-seen reflex-right angle-erect image finder... scratchhead2.gif shocked.gif confused1.gif waytogo.gif

https://www.facebook...066627583609260

I posted this in the Favorite Ads thread as well.

On a more serious note, here is a Criterion RV6 in Illinois, looks pretty complete:  https://www.facebook...189113808542567

Edited by LarsJ, 04 July 2018 - 12:58 PM.

#60 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 04 July 2018 - 01:05 PM

https://www.cloudyni...-ads/?p=8670799

Last night I decided to email the seller to see if this was still available.  It is abut a RT 10 hour drive for me, but since I have the 4th off, I decided I could do it.

He responded saying he did still have it.  After some discussion (only through the craigslist forwarded email), we came to an agreement for $500.  We then exchanged phone numbers and I was going to call him before I left.

I got up early this morning and called.  The phone said the voicemail was not set up and he did not answer.  I then texted and emailed (through craigslist) and got no reply.  I figured I could wait until 10am, but after that I would have to let it go.  I am not going to drive that far having only spoken through the forwarded craigslist email.  Finally a little after 11 he texted back,  I told him I could not make the drive with this late start.

So, for $500 this can be yours :)  I would only do it if you are close.  Maybe I made a mistake by not just jumping in the car and trusting the ad was real.  I think not, but YMMV.  It's a bummer, but I do have a nice classic (I think one never posted here) coming from Japan next week.  Ill keep my fingers crossed for no damage on that one.

• Littlegreenman, rcwolpert, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#61 VPilot

VPilot

Vostok 1

Posted 04 July 2018 - 02:10 PM

Better hurry.  RV-6 OTA  with rings $95

https://inlandempire...6634418251.html

Tim

VPilot

#62 starman876

starman876

Hubble

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:27 PM

https://dallas.craig...6634444327.html

8" orange c8 for $100

better run

https://syracuse.cra...6612245016.html

you figure this one outlol.gif

https://poconos.crai...6625663221.html

coulter 12" I think  $295

https://jerseyshore....6631107364.html

this an old brass scope

Edited by starman876, 04 July 2018 - 03:37 PM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#63 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Skylab

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:44 PM

https://www.cloudyni...-ads/?p=8670799

Last night I decided to email the seller to see if this was still available.  It is abut a RT 10 hour drive for me, but since I have the 4th off, I decided I could do it.

He responded saying he did still have it.  After some discussion (only through the craigslist forwarded email), we came to an agreement for $500.  We then exchanged phone numbers and I was going to call him before I left.

I got up early this morning and called.  The phone said the voicemail was not set up and he did not answer.  I then texted and emailed (through craigslist) and got no reply.  I figured I could wait until 10am, but after that I would have to let it go.  I am not going to drive that far having only spoken through the forwarded craigslist email.  Finally a little after 11 he texted back,  I told him I could not make the drive with this late start.

So, for $500 this can be yours smile.gif  I would only do it if you are close.  Maybe I made a mistake by not just jumping in the car and trusting the ad was real.  I think not, but YMMV.  It's a bummer, but I do have a nice classic (I think one never posted here) coming from Japan next week.  Ill keep my fingers crossed for no damage on that one.

I try to run a business that works best if people make appointments. And I sometimes buy and sell things via Craisglist, ebay, Clouynights, etc.

I'm amazed that so many people are so unreachable. The greater the need to communicate with them, the less available they are!

#64 leveye

leveye

Aurora

• Loc: Central Oregon Coast

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:58 PM

The second finder scope ring is in the box. I see the first version of the lighted tray arm which was painted black with an arc shape as opposed to the chrome version that was more adjustable.

Going by the Sears catalogs, the addition of the light was first mentioned in the Spring 1965 general catalog and also the Fall catalog as well. By Spring 1966, the first version of the 6339 with the silver and black color scheme replaced the 6335.

If someone here picks this up, please post the serial number etc. Thanks.

I'd still contact the seller and have them shoot over good pictures of everything that's included and clearly laid out. The other bracket is not  pictured well and may have been removed for a reason.

Edited by leveye, 04 July 2018 - 03:59 PM.

#65 jcricket

jcricket

Vostok 1

• Loc: Denver Area

Posted 04 July 2018 - 04:07 PM

I think your offer is a good one and if you can get it for $300 it's a decent price.  It really all depends upon whether you really want an f/5 scope or you would be happy with an f/6-f/8 scope (more commonly available and probably a bit cheaper).  I like 6" f/5 scopes. 

I REALLY wanted the f/5. And I did get it the scope. However, I had to do a little better on the price. It came home for 275 smackers....

And I agree the $300 was a very reasonable price for the scope. I just cleaned the primary. I think it went from about 20% reflectivity to about 80%. That saying you shouldn't clean the mirror until you can't see yourself, that time cam and went about 10 years ago on this mirror. It does have maybe 30-50 very tiny pin holes in the coating. They are only visible when you hold the mirror to a bright light and look at it from behind. 

• Dave Trott, Marc-Andre, terraclarke and 3 others like this

#66 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Voyager 1

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 04 July 2018 - 04:41 PM

I try to run a business that works best if people make appointments. And I sometimes buy and sell things via Craisglist, ebay, Clouynights, etc.

I'm amazed that so many people are so unreachable. The greater the need to communicate with them, the less available they are!

CL is very bad and tire kickers.  I am very short with BS'ers and don't play around.

• Littlegreenman and leveye like this

#67 leveye

leveye

Aurora

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:16 PM

Completely agree and never understood it but makes the ones that do run a tight ship look even better and end up with the sale in the end. I've made a living running my business with this philosophy since the early 80's when I started my own guitar repair business that shocker (!) is still running strong for me. The cream always rises my lensfriend.

• Littlegreenman likes this

#68 VPilot

VPilot

Vostok 1

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:19 PM

CL is very bad and tire kickers.  I am very short with BS'ers and don't play around.

I do a lot of business on CL, both buying and selling.   It must be said that I find it hard to miss the "good ole days" when as a seller you had to go down in person to the local newspaper,  hand-write a 20 word or less ad,  pay pretty darn good money for 1 lousy day or even more for a weekend with an additional premium on the Sunday classifieds and then crossed your fingers hoping it would work.   More often than not it did not, so you'd have to repeat the exercise weekly until it finally did work.   As a buyer you had to go to the local library to access nearby regional newspaper ads that weren't covered by your own hometown paper.  Now to me, THAT's a hassle. 

By comparison I don't mind sifting through wannabe scam artists, tire kickers and the like when in turn I can post an ad from the comfort of home,  cover an audience many times the size of the largest subscription newspaper ever did,  have them contact first by email where I have the ultimate control of who to follow up on and who to ignore, - and all for zero - nada - free.   Honestly I don't get the negativity over the inevitable hassles of selling in such a terrific environment.  So you have a few obvious scammers to ignore and lookyloo's to negotiate with.   Being nice and patient with them anyway is a small price to pay by comparison to those "good ole days",  all the more so when you consider the effectiveness of the CL marketing.  As a buyer, I find CL even more wonderful.   

And all this coming from a bonafide, class "A", ultra cynic (just ask my family and "friend").

And now ... back to our regularly scheduled thread topic:   Vintage Manon Astronomical Telescope - $75

Tim

VPilot

Edited by VPilot, 04 July 2018 - 06:17 PM.

• wfj, Nick Will and Bomber Bob like this

#69 Garyth64

Garyth64

Vanguard

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:37 PM

That's a good price for a Manon, but what's with the Meade envelope?

• leveye and Kasmos like this

#70 Stargoat

Stargoat

Apollo

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:45 PM

I'd still contact the seller and have them shoot over good pictures of everything that's included and clearly laid out. The other bracket is not  pictured well and may have been removed for a reason.

I went ahead and contacted the seller to ask some questions. Said they would get back to me tomorrow to answer my questions. I do see a couple mystery parts in the box that I can't decipher. Guessing seller did not add the second ring for the finder. OTOH have seen that they can crack, so maybe that is the reason it's not on the scope. Styro inserts may be missing a few, or just not shown in the pics.

#71 leveye

leveye

Aurora

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:54 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=JHYIGy1dyd8

#72 wfj

wfj

Apollo

• Loc: California, Santa Cruz County

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:49 PM

I do a lot of business on CL, both buying and selling.   It must be said that I find it hard to miss the "good ole days" when as a seller you had to go down in person to the local newspaper,  hand-write a 20 word or less ad,  pay pretty darn good money for 1 lousy day or even more for a weekend with an additional premium on the Sunday classifieds and then crossed your fingers hoping it would work.   More often than not it did not, so you'd have to repeat the exercise weekly until it finally did work.   As a buyer you had to go to the local library to access nearby regional newspaper ads that weren't covered by your own hometown paper.  Now to me, THAT's a hassle. 

By comparison I don't mind sifting through wannabe scam artists, tire kickers and the like when in turn I can post an ad from the comfort of home,  cover an audience many times the size of the largest subscription newspaper ever did,  have them contact first by email where I have the ultimate control of who to follow up on and who to ignore, - and all for zero - nada - free.   Honestly I don't get the negativity over the inevitable hassles of selling in such a terrific environment.  So you have a few obvious scammers to ignore and lookyloo's to negotiate with.   Being nice and patient with them anyway is a small price to pay by comparison to those "good ole days",  all the more so when you consider the effectiveness of the CL marketing.  As a buyer, I find CL even more wonderful.

CL/eBay means you have to endure the broad spectrum of humanity. The technology just means "faster" and "10-100x more" of them. (Guy who did the browser said "who know there was so much junk in everyone's garage" - spot on.)

Met some incredible people. And some of the worst. Occasionally scary, but been on foreign deployments before. Scammers with no (or broken) optics - "i'll go back and get them" - wrong size/materials/"plastic", all kinds.

There are ones that make the appts and are straight up, just business and all great. When they veer off, thats it, just one shot at it. Like business, its all in the "feel" of it. Some just sell/buy for the social interaction. Occasionally someone frustrated with scope selling at a loss - have educated and then they want it back!

Possibly a 4" pedestal reflector - Royal Astro LN-4? Missing the ID plate.

https://sfbay.craigs...6633619299.html

• CharlieB, Bomber Bob and Augustus like this

#73 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 04 July 2018 - 07:22 PM

You can have fun with chipped lenses and Homebuilt Telescopes with this

fine Edmund Scientific Booklet:

https://www.ebay.com...tAAAOSwd8ZbPPZf

Robert

• Bomber Bob likes this

#74 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Deep South, USA

Posted 04 July 2018 - 07:27 PM

Yep... that's a Royal LN-4E, and at a very good price!

#75 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 04 July 2018 - 07:32 PM

C10

https://www.cloudyni...-c10-bluewhite/

• Bomber Bob likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics