•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Seven Sisters Observatory

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 TSSClay

TSSClay

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Manchester MI

Posted 01 July 2018 - 02:44 PM

I had to share this here in the Observatories forum.  The crew from Backyard Observatories is on day three of my observatory build in some very hot weather.  Great progress is being made and I couldn't be happier.  I have been taking pictures thinking to do an article for the local astronomy club newsletter.  Yesterday's progress looks like this:

Day 2 results 1 small.jpg

I will post more pictures as the build progresses.

Best Regards

Clay Kessler

• jim kuhns, guyroch, psandelle and 15 others like this

#2 jim kuhns

jim kuhns

Viking 1

• Loc: southeast GA.

Posted 01 July 2018 - 02:53 PM

Notice the back build, warm up room?  The picture gives a  illusion of the looks to be two buildings.

#3 TSSClay

TSSClay

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 July 2018 - 03:26 PM

Jim,

The back building is a warm/control room but will also function as an equipment warehouse.  It will be nice to get most stuff in the same place.

Clay

#4 jim kuhns

jim kuhns

Viking 1

• Loc: southeast GA.

Posted 01 July 2018 - 04:16 PM

Generally do not need a warm up room here though this past winter was colder than
normal, and not here only but many parts of the eastern side of the U.S.
I am pretty sure that room will be used a lot starting as early as mid to late
September.

#5 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 01 July 2018 - 04:45 PM

So, 3 official observatories within a 1/4 mile radius ? Seems like something of a hotspot. Congratulations on the new building.
  • TSSClay likes this

#6 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 01 July 2018 - 04:53 PM

Lets have a star party out at Clays!

• NickWDavis, Geo31 and TSSClay like this

#7 petert913

petert913

Skylab

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 01 July 2018 - 05:14 PM

Backyard Observatories looks like a great company.  I wonder if there is such a service

here in the Pacific Northwest? 

#8 TSSClay

TSSClay

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 July 2018 - 05:38 PM

Gary,

That is a great idea - come on out!

Peter, 

Scott and his crew go all over the US doing this.  I can attest to his high standard of workmanship.

Clay

#9 TSSClay

TSSClay

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:32 PM

I took a few pictures of the results of today's work.

Outside:

Day 3 results 1 small.jpg

The building is taking shape.  I like the doors and windows provided.  The interior layout is very nice and will be great for imaging.

Clay

• psandelle, FOUNTAIN1, Bob Swaney and 2 others like this

#10 TSSClay

TSSClay

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:39 PM

I also have a couple of inside shots.

Day 3 results 2.jpg

This is the control room/warehouse area.  I expect I will wish I had a basement here or something but the space is very usable for my current needs.  I do tend to accumulate a fair number of project scopes.  I hope by organizing theme here IO will both finish the projects and use them more often.

The observatory interior:

Day 3 results 3.jpg

I have had this pier out here for 15 years.  At this point I think I will need more height.  I am considering building a box structure of welded steel and place the pier on top of it using the same bolts to fasten it to the concrete pier base.

Clay

• psandelle, Garyth64 and Scott123 like this

#11 TSSClay

TSSClay

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:21 PM

Day four,  almost finished.  Left to do is the siding (trim is in place), the roof drive and the interior window.  I expect some weatherstripping as well.  I tried to convince my wife that the vinyl siding was in OSB color - she didn't buy it.....

Day 4 results 1 small.jpg

Day 4 results 2 small.jpg

It looks like I can start moving in on the 4th!  WOOHOO!!!!

Clay

• DeanS, brave_ulysses, FOUNTAIN1 and 7 others like this

#12 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:19 PM

I like how the one roof overlaps the other.  Brilliant!

• aneeg likes this

#13 dallen24

dallen24

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 July 2018 - 05:55 AM

They're similar to scissor trusses.  BTW, all RORs should be done with scissor trusses.  They give you more headroom and you can get away with shorter walls.  Shorter walls mean more horizon and better leverage in rolling off the roof.

Edited by dallen24, 03 July 2018 - 01:52 PM.

• Scott123 likes this

#14 torsinadoc

torsinadoc

Apollo

• Loc: Fayetteville AR

Posted 03 July 2018 - 08:27 AM

I really like this design. Did you make that design or BYO?

#15 TSSClay

TSSClay

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 July 2018 - 12:50 PM

When I was discussing the design with Scott he asked me to ignore the common sizes that I saw on his website and just describe what I want.  I have always wanted a design that had a 10 x 10 observatory where the roof rolled over above a control/warm room.  Several years ago when I had the concrete pad poured around the pier I went for 10 x 20 feet.  (the pier has been there for 15 years - almost to the day)  Scott told me he could build what I described.  True to his word - what he built matched the picture in my mind exactly.  I have wanted this for a while but didn't know how to build it.  Scott did.

I will post finished pictures this evening.

Clay

• Garyth64 likes this

#16 TSSClay

TSSClay

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 July 2018 - 05:53 PM

The construction portion of the job is finished.  I have a shiny new observatory to call my own.  I can't believe how hard the BYO Guys (and Gal!) worked in the mid 90's heat we have had.  I am extremely happy with the result.

As promised - Pictures:

Roof Open -
Finished 1.jpg

South Wall Folds! -

Finished 2.jpg

More.......

• niteskystargazer and Garyth64 like this

#17 TSSClay

TSSClay

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 July 2018 - 05:58 PM

More Pictures:

Motor Drive -

Finished 4.jpg

Observatory floor -

Finished 3.jpg

Note the pier is too short for the building.  That pier has been in place for 15 years and has provided great service.  I will need to make a riser and raise the mount and scope so I can properly polar align among other things.  Tomorrow I will re-install the mount and measure how much height I will need.  Fortunately welding a riser will be pretty simple.

More pictures.....

• Garyth64 likes this

#18 TSSClay

TSSClay

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 July 2018 - 06:01 PM

Finally closed up.

Picture from the south -

Finished 5.jpg

And from the north -

Finished 6.jpg

I now have to wire the observatory for electrical and move stuff in.  I should finish just in time for the months of storms I was warned about.

Clay Kessler

• Special Ed, StephenW, mdowns and 1 other like this

#19 Mick G

Mick G

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:35 PM

Clay,

All I can say is WOW.  I'm jealous.  When can i get a tour?

Mick

#20 TSSClay

TSSClay

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 July 2018 - 08:05 PM

Mick,
Any time you can come by. Probably better to wait until I have it wired and set up.

Clay
  • mdowns likes this

#21 LoveChina61

LoveChina61

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 July 2018 - 09:20 PM

What will you install as the observatory’s main mount and scope? What camera (if any)?

An awesome observatory. Congratulations!

Mike

#22 SometimesKen

SometimesKen

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bad Moon Observatory

Posted 03 July 2018 - 09:31 PM

Beautiful observatory, Scott certainly does nice work! Love the name too, but please, please keep the month of clouds in MI! 

Good Luck and I wish you many years of use! 

Beat regards,

Ken

#23 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:55 AM

They're similar to scissor trusses.  BTW, all RORs should be done with scissor trusses.  They give you more headroom and you can get away with shorter walls.  Shorter walls mean more horizon and better leverage in rolling off the roof.

Yes, open roof rafters like BYO have built you are plenty strong enough for a small or midsize observatory, the end framing is totally sufficient to keep the roof from pancaking on a roof that short.  An easily installed upgrade, for slightly larger roofs, or ones with significant snow loads, is to add 'collar-ties' up close to the peak.  A collar tie half-way down a rafter is (if I remember right) 90% as strong as one at the base of the rafters...and offers significantly more headroom.

Overall, my sincere compliments to the BYO crew, they do a thouroughly professional job with their observatories,.....I've been a carpenter my whole life, I can spot right off the difference between good enough and good....those folks do DARN good work! They could put about half as much lumber in there, and the building would still stand up.....

• TSSClay and Garyth64 like this

#24 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:00 AM

Yes, open roof rafters like BYO have built you are plenty strong enough for a small or midsize observatory, the end framing is totally sufficient to keep the roof from pancaking on a roof that short.  An easily installed upgrade, for slightly larger roofs, or ones with significant snow loads, is to add 'collar-ties' up close to the peak.  A collar tie half-way down a rafter is (if I remember right) 90% as strong as one at the base of the rafters...and offers significantly more headroom.

Overall, my sincere compliments to the BYO crew, they do a thouroughly professional job with their observatories,.....I've been a carpenter my whole life, I can spot right off the difference between good enough and good....those folks do DARN good work! They could put about half as much lumber in there, and the building would still stand up.....

Ditto, and I agree.  It's attention to the little details that counts too

• roscoe likes this

#25 TSSClay

TSSClay

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:45 AM

What will you install as the observatory’s main mount and scope? What camera (if any)?

An awesome observatory. Congratulations!

Mike

Mike,

I already have a Losmandy Titan that has been on the pier for almost a year.  Currently it carries an Explore Scientific 80mm ED triplet.  I am in the process of making an ES 127ED Franken-Scope and when finished that will reside on the titan along with an 8" R/C.  Cameras - several DSLR's including a 60Da, ASI1600MM-C and ASI294MC-Pro.

Clay

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics