•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Deep-Sky Planner 7 -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 John O'Hara

John O'Hara

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oil City, PA

Posted 01 July 2018 - 06:19 PM

I'm currently using Deep-Sky Planner 7.3.3.0.  I'm in the process of creating an observing plan for all of the objects in Walter Scott Houston's Deep-Sky Wonders anthology by Stephen O'meara, using the plans already prepared from the DSP Community Page (which had one for each of the 12 months in the book).  One problem I'm having is that I can't get my newly created plan to recognize objects I've already observed that have been entered into my observing log.  Is there a way I can connect this plan to my existing observing log?  I have a Herschel 400 list I've saved, but this was created by query using the H-400 catalog stored in the DSP database. 

I've also noted that the file type for my saved query (for the Herschel 400) is ".dsoqry" (which does recognized objects observed on my observing log), while my newly created Deep-Sky Wonders observing plan is ".dsplan" (which does not recognized objects on my observed log.  Is it the difference between these two file types that is the problem?  

The reason I want my DSW Observing Plan to recognize objects observed is to avoid duplicate observations that would delay my completion of that list.

I would just e-mail Phyllis Lang, but I she must get swamped with queries.

Thanks for any advice,

John

#2 Kyphoron

Kyphoron

Viking 1

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:41 PM

John,

I have yet to buy this program but I have been watching Phyllis's YouTube channel because I own a Nexus DSC and want to use it with my Nexus. While watching the other videos in setting up observing plans I seem to remember her saying that the object will show up as observed if you add it to a new plan. As to how it works I am not sure since I have not bought it yet. But I will tell you this. Today I had a question about the program that I wanted to know before I buy it. I sent her the question via email and she responded in less than an hour. So I think she is not as swamped as you might think she is.

• John O'Hara likes this

#3 lphilpot

lphilpot

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Lousiana, USA

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:15 PM

+1 - My experience as well, Phyllis is usually quick to respond and very helpful. I came across the same question, but for the life of me I can't remember the answer...  :)

• John O'Hara likes this

#4 John O'Hara

John O'Hara

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:36 PM

Thanks, I'll ask her as you've suggested.

John

#5 John O'Hara

John O'Hara

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:28 PM

I wanted to let everyone know that Phyllis took care of things quickly.  She provides excellent support.

John O.

• lphilpot likes this

#6 lphilpot

lphilpot

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Lousiana, USA

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:42 PM

Not surprised at all.  :)

#7 Mondriaan

Mondriaan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 July 2021 - 08:11 AM

Hello, i have a question about DSP 7 and probably purchasing 8.

I dislike the lack of keyboard input and the possiblity to change this keys.

So is there a way to add keyboard codes.

If DSP 8 has the possibility to use keyboard keys i would consider to buy/upgrade my version 7, but if it lacks again of keyboard input i wont.

Thank You,

Mondriaan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics