•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starsense with GPS

accessories Celestron equipment SCT solar 3d printing
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sandconp

sandconp

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Minnesota USA

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:14 AM

I just bought a Sky Sync GPS to work with my Celestron 8 SE Evolution and I also have Star Sense.  In the instructions it says to go to Utility then turn on GPS.  I do not have Utility on my menu choices on my Star Sense control.  I did hook up my old control and I see the Utility option on that control.

So is the Celestron Sky Sync compatible with the the Star Sense Control?

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:30 AM

Yes, works great on my CGE

The SSA checks  and only prompts the required Info If it doesn't detect a GPS.

See bottom left paragraph on Pg 11.

#3 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 07 July 2018 - 01:38 AM

Hi,

From my book, The NexStar User's Guide II:

On the NexStar+ and NexStar version 4 hand controls, press the MENU button, select Utilities, and you will find GPS on/off. If no GPS modules is available, you cannot change the setting.

On the StarSense hand control, press the MENU button, select Time and Location, and select Time/Location Source. If a GPS module is available, you may select it as your preferred time and location source.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
http://www.NexStarSite.com

• fgraus and rjaszcz like this

#4 sandconp

sandconp

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Minnesota USA

Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:20 AM

Thanks for the help. I was able to find the GPS setting and it works.

Edited by sandconp, 07 July 2018 - 05:28 PM.

#5 deansjc

deansjc

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:12 PM

I trust that this is a good place to ask a similar question, this one relating to why the StarSense HC seems to not offer a GoTo calibration function.  That function is to be found in the NexStar+ HC Utilities menu and is for use when changing up the payload on the NexStar mount - in my case an 8SE mount.

Please note that I am on a Wedge with Wedge enabled.  Disabling Wedge does not reveal such a utility on the StarSense menu.

Is a GoTo calibration required/recommended to be performed when significantly altering payloads as I am with a 72mm APO refractor?  Should I revert temporarily to the NexStar+ HC and run the routine?  Would the outputs of the routine be lost when switching back to the StarSense HC, or are such outputs stored in the mount?

Am I worried about something I shouldn't be perhaps :-)

Hopefully this topic is monitored.  Perhaps Mike Swanson is still listening :-O

Thanks for any input.

#6 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:19 PM

Hi Dean,

Celestron has always considered that calibration to be of very little actual effect and so they didn't bother to include it in StarSense.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

#7 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:02 AM

Hi Dean,

Celestron has always considered that calibration to be of very little actual effect and so they didn't bother to include it in StarSense.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

I concur with this observation .....

I also find (1) manual multi-star alignment or (2) Starsense with WiFi/SkyPortal/Safari is consistently a tad less accurate than (3) Starsense + Starsense HC + GPS device. Using the latter combination I rarely find myself tweaking the directional controls after GoTos to pull my target centre into FOV. 

My conclusion is my limited eyesight and elderly dexterity impair (1). Starsense is of great benefit. Then, have you noticed how devices on different networks or ISP often show a different Time - Location? The discrepancy can be up to 60 seconds and/or a trivial latitude/longitude difference.  It seems to me that time - location sourced from the Internet using an APP isn't as accurate as when from GPS/satellite. For visual astronomy this is probably of zero consequence. But for Astrophotography/EAA where enhanced alignment/tracking is desirable then the extra accuracy of (proper) GPS with Starsense is welcome.

Edited by Noah4x4, 19 September 2019 - 12:08 AM.

• mike4271 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, Celestron, equipment, SCT, solar, 3d printing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics