•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars July 9th, 2018 Dust Persists

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Special Ed

Special Ed

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:21 AM

Here's a new observation of the Dusty Planet.  I used all the filters I usually use on Mars plus I tried my UHC filter--it made the polar regions bright but didn't enhance the contrast any.

I could vaguely see the "ghost" of the following edge of the Hellas Basin in the unfiltered view--and could see it better in red light.  Also, part of Sinus Sabaeus ghosted into view and it too was darker in red light. 

Two thirds of the SPC appeared to have dust on/over it in integrated light (IL).  The border along the edge of the SPC was the most prominent feature in IL and with all filters except the 80A and varied in thickness depending on the filter used.  It appeared most irregular with the W56 (green) filter and even protruded a little into the ice cap.

I have included the WinJUPOS simulation for reference--never had to do that before this apparition.  tongue2.gif

The sketch was roughed out at the eyepiece with notes taken and then brought indoors to finish (our heat wave has abated--it was 53*F and I was getting cold).  I used graphite and color pencils on Bristol board.  I made a mistake drawing the circles so instead of wasting a piece of board I turned it over--later I discovered that smooth bristol board is only smooth on one side--oops.

Here's the sketch.

Mars_2018.07.09.v1.jpg

Edited by Special Ed, 09 July 2018 - 10:24 AM.

• Daniel Mounsey, Uwe Pilz, Jef De Wit and 16 others like this

#2 tommy10

tommy10

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:36 AM

Yeah, looked at Mars the other night, I was almost featureless due to the dust, heartbreaking as we know so many albedo features lie just below the airborne dirt. Thanks for the update, at least I know I can accurately sketch Mars by drawing an orange yellow blob. Thanks for sharing.

#3 wfj

wfj

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California, Santa Cruz County

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:39 PM

Nice sketch. Matches up with what I saw at 0700 UTC.

I found that the Parks ALP filter (magenta cast, AKA Lumicon Deep-sky filter) seems best for contrast, and treating usually high contrast Mars more like low contrast Jupiter with a 0.8-1.1mm exit pupil helps a bit in cutting through the dust.

add:

I think that while we don't have the great conditions we'd like for this opposition, talented visual observers will see much more than imagers this time around, because it becomes about subtlety, which is usually the case when Mars is quite distant.

The irony of having seem Mars best at extreme magnifications with a distant opposition, and having a close one where I can't barely use any magnification is not lost on me (also, conditions were A I compared to A II - IV, and Mars was close to zenith as opposed to being in the muck of 10-30 degrees).

Edited by wfj, 09 July 2018 - 02:52 PM.

• Special Ed and Aquarellia like this

#4 Special Ed

Special Ed

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:54 AM

@ T10--hang in there.  laugh.gif

@ wfj,  thanks!  If your filter is like a magenta filter, that's a good thing.  I just responded to Dave Mitsky's post in the SSO forum about his use of a magenta filter but it bears repeating here.  Jeff Beish and Carlos Hernandez, both veteran Mars observers, have said that a magenta filter is about the best one for Mars.

Thanks for all the likes, folks  smile.gif

Edited by Special Ed, 10 July 2018 - 08:36 PM.

#5 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:21 AM

Fantastic work. I love the appearances through all the different filters you applied.

#6 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:35 PM

Michael,

Nice sketches of Mars (On July 9th, 2018 Dust Persists) smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#7 Special Ed

Special Ed

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:35 PM

Fantastic work. I love the appearances through all the different filters you applied.

Thanks, Erik.  I usually look through all my color filters and then make a composite sketch, but with the dust storm being so strong and with the encouragement of Stanislas-Jean, I looked more carefully and made a sketch with all filters.  Uwe Pilz posted an observation the same way on July 7th and Dave Gray has also been doing pretty much the same thing.  This dust storm is where experience and a trained eye has made the difference with visual observations.

Thanks, Tom.  smile.gif 

• Aquarellia likes this

#8 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:15 AM

Michael,

Nice to see these. This is a better view than my last.

I have been cut off from the sky by rainy, cloudy weather for the last few days.

May get a weather break over the weekend.

Frank :)

• Special Ed likes this

#9 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:41 AM

> I have been cut off from the sky by rainy, cloudy weather

We need rainy weather at the mars, for the dust get washed out!

• Aquarellia likes this

#10 dweller25

dweller25

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:36 PM

Nice sketches Michael, Mars is too low for me so I will enjoy other peoples views smile.gif

#11 Special Ed

Special Ed

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:36 AM

Thanks, David--I've been enjoying all the sketches and images, too.

#12 Aquarellia

Aquarellia

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Artignosc, Provence, France

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:06 AM

Bravo Michael !!!

Your sketch composition is used as a reference in the Sky and Telescope web:

https://www.skyandte...n-already-over/

Michel

#13 Special Ed

Special Ed

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:10 AM

Thanks, Michel.  I was tickled to be rubbing shoulders with Damian Peach.  smile.gif 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics