•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

a little cluster for those bad Mars nights...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Randolph Jay

Randolph Jay

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: South Huntington, NY, USA

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:12 PM

Mars is so bright, and the disc so large, and then so disappointing through a small Ioptron 150...I gave up, but the night was clear so I turned to a little cluster I'd not looked at before: NGC 6709.  What caught my attention were the star chains trailing away from an almost circular ring of stars and the apparent color I could make out on some of the brighter stars.  The cluster lies around 3700 light years away and may be around 300 million years old.  There may be many more stars in this cluster, but it resides near the Great Rift in the milky way whose dust may be blocking our view. Of course observing in a Bortle 6 sky adds to the challenge as well. Tried again to look at Mars after doing this sketch...bangbang.gif .   Thanks for looking.

Clear ( dust free ) skies,

Randolph

ngc 6709 001.jpg

• Special Ed, paulsky, Jef De Wit and 11 others like this

#2 Raul Leon

Raul Leon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tampa Florida

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:20 PM

Hi Randolph, I really like this cluster, it almost looks like two separate clusters. Raul

• Susan H likes this

#3 Susan H

Susan H

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Melbourne, FL

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:41 AM

All was not lost Randolph, great sketch of NGC 6709. Thanks for sharing and clear skies. I hope you get to “see” and sketch Mars soon. 

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:53 PM

Randolph,

This is a nice open cluster of the summer sky.

You always do a great job sketching these.

Frank :)

#5 flt158

flt158

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:16 PM

Great sketch of open star cluster NGC 6709, Randolph.  

If memory serves me, is it within the confines of Aquila?

Aubrey. 

• nerich likes this

#6 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:26 PM

Randolph,

Nice sketch of NGC 6709 smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#7 Randolph Jay

Randolph Jay

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:45 PM

Thank you Raul, Susan, Frank, Aubry and Tom.  Yes Aubry, please forgive me for omitting that this fine little open cluster is in Aquila.  By the way Aubry, since I was in the neighborhood and your double star post piqued my interest, I took a look at Mu Librae.  I've not seen this double star before and it is splendid!!  I saw the primary as yellow to yellow orange and the secondary as definitely blue. I would love to give that one a try with a sketch...

Regards and clear skies,

Randolph

• flt158 likes this

#8 flt158

flt158

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:36 AM

That is wonderful news, Randolph. 

Please feel free to do a sketch of Mu Librae. 

However I don't think I will see it again in 2018. bawling.gif

Trees are in the way. 

Still I cannot complain.

I have observed it 4 times during the last 4 to 5 weeks. 

And I love it!

I am so glad it you have now had your very first observation of Mu Librae. 

I am seriously looking forward to your upcoming sketch if the opportunity arises.

And I will not mind if you come up with different colours at all. laugh.gif  

Some time soon I must get reacquainted with NGC 6709. Funny it does not have an M number!

Ireland is now suffering from thick cloud for the foreseeable future. 

Kindest regards from Aubrey.  

#9 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: Triton

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:08 AM

Hi Randolph,

Have you tried the big Celestron on Mars?

This IS an interesting cluster, and one I wasn't aware of. I agree its quite the object with the arcs of stars and chains eminating from it. One to bookmark for sure.

Pete

#10 Randolph Jay

Randolph Jay

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:53 PM

Hi Aubrey and Pete,

Trees to my south and west are also getting in my way of observing this beautiful double, but I am determined to try to capture those colors.  I know two astronomers ( professional ) from Borrego Springs who summer in Ireland and have written to me about the recent heat.  I hope that even if the clouds have closed in that perhaps the temperatures are more comfortable.

Pete, my 9.25'' is in Borrego Springs and I did use it on Mars a few weeks back.  It provided my first hint as to what was to come.  The views were very poor, to say the least.  I will admit that I am also once again getting a touch of aperture fever...to go along with the temperatures!  This little cluster in Aquila is a fine one presenting some subtle star color and a nice range of magnitudes.  The very faintest stars just danced in and out of my averted vision.  I was almost tempted to just put in a slight shadow of graphite to show the two areas of the faintest stars but what the heck, I'm ...85% ( lol ) sure of where I placed them!!  The cluster also lies in a more light polluted part of my sky but it was still a very nice sight.

Regards,

Randolph

• flt158 likes this

#11 nerich

nerich

Mariner 2

• Loc: Greensboro, NC

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:13 PM

Magnificent sketch Randolph! I stumbled upon NGC 6709 by accident two years ago while viewing STF 2404. 
Since Aubrey has already piqued your interest with Mu Librae, I'd recommend taking a look at this magnificent double too. According to my notes, NGC 6709 and STF 2404 were in the same FOV at around 40x. 
Again, very fine sketch. 

Edited by nerich, 12 July 2018 - 10:14 PM.

• flt158 likes this

#12 iainp

iainp

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:35 PM

Lovely sketch there Randolph. Ah, aperture fever; there is no known cure, not even buying a large scope, which as I know to my cost, only alleviates the symptoms for a while!

Iain 

#13 Randolph Jay

Randolph Jay

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 July 2018 - 04:23 PM

Thank you so much Nick and Iain.  Nick I will do just that.  Iain nothing beyond an 11" SCT or a 12.5 " Dob...I hope!

Regards,

Randolph

• nerich likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics