•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC 7000, IC 5070, IC 5068, and surrounding area.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ImNewHere

ImNewHere

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Nashville, IN

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:00 PM

I took a trip up to Michigan to visit family and decided to do some astrophotography since it was clear there. I think this one turned out okay, but could definitely use some improvement. I used my Pentax K1 in 1x1 square crop mode, Tamron 70-200 at 200mm, and did 30x 180 at ISO 1600 with it. The lens was zip tied to the top of my David Levy Comet Hunter and on my ZEQ25 with an MGEN II for autoguiding, dithering, and camera control.

As always, CC is not only welcome, but desired. I do know I should have stopped the lens down some and came up with a better method of attaching the lens to the mount.

NaPel.jpg

• Starman27, starbob1, psandelle and 9 others like this

#2 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Vanguard

• Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:00 PM

Came out pretty well having been zip tied..obviously more time would help..I have the same lens, yet not really been able to use it much..I'm in the camp to use step down rings to close the aperature in order to avoid the spikes associated w/using the internal blades. I fight a bit of LP from my location, yet might just have to drag out the mount & use the lens the next couple nights...

• ImNewHere likes this

#3 AndrewXnn

AndrewXnn

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Mexico, NY

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:59 PM

Nice capture of the texture of the nebula.

By my math, the K1 has 4.88 micron pixels.

With a 200mm focal length lens, that works out to 5 arc sec/pixel

which is greater than the typical recommended upper limit of 2 arc sec/pixel.

So, that implies under sampling; which I think I can see.

I realize that to get a wide enough angle, that the 200mm lens was needed.

Not sure how much cropping space may have been available.

#4 fewayne

fewayne

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:00 PM

Nice one, man.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics