•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wide field: Antares and the Scorpion's claws

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fmeschia

fmeschia

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Mountain View, CA

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:48 PM

Over the last weekend I collected a little over one hour's worth of data with my DSLR and a Nikkor 50/1.8D prime lens. The target was Antares and the surrounding area. The lens was stopped at f/4 and I shot 24 subs, each exposed for 2 minutes at ISO 400. After integrating all the subs and a fair amount of processing with PixInsight, this is my final result. Comments and criticisms are very welcome.

Francesco

42593880224_424b8d1b12_c_d.jpg

Edited by fmeschia, 10 July 2018 - 09:49 PM.

• Starman27, psandelle, eros312 and 10 others like this

#2 CorralesRay

CorralesRay

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:03 PM

Francesco,

This is a truly stunning photo. Where did you shot these shots? I lived in Mountain View for a couple of years and I can't imagine you were anywhere near the Silicon Valley. I've been trying to shoot this same target for the past couple of trips to my local darker site, but the clouds have not cooperated.

Ray

#3 fmeschia

fmeschia

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Mountain View, CA

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:36 PM

Hi Ray,

I took my subs from the parking lot of the Monte Bello OSP up on Page Mill Road. For being just half an hour from home, it has decent skies especially on the Southern horizon. My SQM measured the background sky at 20.1 mag/arcsec2.

Francesco

Edited by fmeschia, 10 July 2018 - 10:36 PM.

• tkottary likes this

#4 geothomas

geothomas

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Huntsville, Alabama

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:43 AM

Nicely done. I recently imaged this same area and had 6 hours of data to work with which brought out a bit more detail of the Blue Horsehead Nebula. Keep adding more time on this and you will really be happy with it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics