•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Show us your classic MISTAKE!

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cincinnati

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:18 AM

No matter how die-hard we are about restoration and in some cases resuscitation, surely we’ve all run across something that’s made us throw our hands up in the air, shake our heads, and say “This is ... !” Lets see ‘em. lol.gif

• steve t, rcwolpert and shredder1656 like this

#2 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:52 AM

I haven't really owned a scope that was cosmetically that bad but I have seen optics that were...Dynamax, Jones Bird and Chinese 8" f/4 spherical disasters.

Edited by rolo, 11 July 2018 - 06:53 AM.

• steve t, terraclarke, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#3 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:13 AM

do not recall eve anything that bad.  However, I bet there are others who have been there.  I bet I can also predict who they arelol.gif

• steve t, Defenderslideguitar and shredder1656 like this

#4 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:17 AM

I specialize in restorations that others would just toss in the trash.  If the objective is good, nothing else is insurmountable.

• Mr Magoo, Vesper818, photiost and 10 others like this

#5 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:43 AM

I'm remember going to  a star party and looking at a homemade Newtonian were  the elliptical diagonal was glued on 90 degrees from how it should be ie the major axis went side to side instead of up and down. 

- Dave 

• deSitter, highfnum, wfj and 6 others like this

#6 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:59 AM

Nothing is so bad that it has no useable parts.....  well, some stuff is.....  it's more the question of 'is it worth 57 hours of my time to bring a battered el-cheapo 60 back to life?'

That's one I've repeatedly not-yet learned the hard way... so rule one - get it to work just enough to star-test it, then and only then, if it passes, put the time into it to fix it up.  A shiny, freshly repainted piece of dung is still.....a piece of dung.

• steve t, ftwskies and Kasmos like this

#7 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:21 AM

I specialize in restorations that others would just toss in the trash.  If the objective is good, nothing else is insurmountable.

Heh.  I apparently have a thing for basket cases as well.  You're responsible for one of them - the RVC-6N, which I replaced the optics in anyway.  As soon as I come back from vacation next month, my plan is to start wrapping that one up.  I have a lot of fasteners to order (and some taps since I'm going to rethread a number of odd sized threads).

• steve t, Chuck Hards and Defenderslideguitar like this

#8 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:10 AM

I've never once heard my wife call one of my telescopes "a pile of junk" I've

heard her call my bicycle projects that, in fact  just this morning she called my

new bike a pile of junk and even our dog barked at it!

Robert

• Jon Isaacs, steve t, terraclarke and 5 others like this

#9 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Deep South, USA

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:16 AM

Not fouled up, but a big disappointment.  According to the color chart at Lowe's & the cap on the paint cans, this was not supposed to be baby blue!  It should've had more green & silver in it.

Tinsley Saturn 6 - Meade SF (Pedestal) P99.jpg

I had my fingers crossed while it was curing...  

The Tinsley will have a new owner soon.  I bought several cans of Rustoleum Bronze months ago, but we've yet to have a dry enough weekend for me to redo the pedestal!

• tim53, mattyfatz, steve t and 3 others like this

#10 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern Connecticut

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:17 AM

Admittedly.  I have limited experience  but finding the Meade etx90 at the town dump with the tripod legs bent in half and some cement on the tube and lens cap  is as close as I have come fubarland

But as Chuck has  said;

"I specialize in restorations that others would just toss in the trash.  If the objective is good, nothing else is insurmountable "

Donating it to Augustus was  a good move on my part as it was restored/utilized or otherwise repurposed by his skills and knowledge and he can turn it over  to move on to another project.

And I felt good doing this.....

• roscoe and steve t like this

#11 apfever

apfever

Aurora

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:54 AM

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.png

• tim53, steve t, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#12 steve t  Happy Birthday!

steve t

Ranger 4

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:15 PM

Not fouled up, but a big disappointment.  According to the color chart at Lowe's & the cap on the paint cans, this was not supposed to be baby blue!  It should've had more green & silver in it.

attachicon.gif Tinsley Saturn 6 - Meade SF (Pedestal) P99.jpg

I had my fingers crossed while it was curing...  

The Tinsley will have a new owner soon.  I bought several cans of Rustoleum Bronze months ago, but we've yet to have a dry enough weekend for me to redo the pedestal!

I don't know BB, baby blue or not that's still one nice looking scope and restoration. 

• davidmcgo, Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#13 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Deep South, USA

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:41 PM

Thanks!  The Kicker:  It's one of my best rattle-can paint jobs -- no runs, smears, thin patches...  But.  The.  Wrong.  Color!   Just my luck.  (One reason why I no longer buy lottery tickets.)

• steve t and Defenderslideguitar like this

#14 memento

memento

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 51N 7E

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:45 PM

My biggest ... let’s call it disappointment :) so far was a Meade 2080 LX3. It was not expensive and very original and complete with wedge and tripod and some old Meade eyepiece I figured I’d never use anyway. It had the Silvered optics and I knew that could mean recoating the mirrors eventually but that also wasn’t a problem on my sample.

It was just bad optics! First start test was all triangles and thought that’s okay for something unused and shipped to me ... let’s just adjust it ...
Then a really clear astigmatism showed up. Ugh, nooo ...

I ended up selling it on the cheap to a more inclined person. Kept the wedge and tripod. And I kept the unwanted eyepiece, it turned out to be a RG 20mm and it’s just a gem!

I really liked the handling and appearance of the 2080 but I’m cured, next time it has to be an orange or a post-Halley C8 if I am ready for an 8” SC again :) Thomas
  • steve t, Augustus and Defenderslideguitar like this

#15 Mike E.

Mike E.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:03 PM

The only classic Astronomical mistake I've made, and it was a big one, was to ship my Classic scopes across the world to a location which seems to have perpetual rain & cloud. foreheadslap.gif  

Should have bought a place in Chile.

• tim53, steve t, terraclarke and 2 others like this

#16 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:29 PM

My biggest ... let’s call it disappointment smile.gif so far was a Meade 2080 LX3. It was not expensive and very original and complete with wedge and tripod and some old Meade eyepiece I figured I’d never use anyway. It had the Silvered optics and I knew that could mean recoating the mirrors eventually but that also wasn’t a problem on my sample.

It was just bad optics! First start test was all triangles and thought that’s okay for something unused and shipped to me ... let’s just adjust it ...
Then a really clear astigmatism showed up. Ugh, nooo ...

I ended up selling it on the cheap to a more inclined person. Kept the wedge and tripod. And I kept the unwanted eyepiece, it turned out to be a RG 20mm and it’s just a gem!

I really liked the handling and appearance of the 2080 but I’m cured, next time it has to be an orange or a post-Halley C8 if I am ready for an 8” SC again smile.gif Thomas

My 2080 was a stinker optically as well.

• memento and Defenderslideguitar like this

#17 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:42 PM

It could even be a classic now my old Starsplitter 14.5" truss dob.

It was one of the early of the really high-end dobs with a fantastic NOVA primary

and a obstruction of only about 20% I had to be really careful not to snag one

of my knee caps on a crater rim while observing the moon, yes it was that

good.

Well, one day I lifted the handles a little too high and the scope slipped out of the

rocker box and crashed on it's side in front of me! and to add to the WRECKAGE

the primary came rolling out of the mirror box!

Lucky for me I caught it before it flopped over on it's front or back which would have

surley clamchipped it in a big way.

I don't have any pictures of all the scars on the beautiful apple ply, the scope is long

gone from my possession.  A BIG MISTAKE! AND A LESSON LEARNED!

Robert

Edited by clamchip, 11 July 2018 - 03:48 PM.

• steve t, Bomber Bob, cookjaiii and 1 other like this

#18 Kasmos

Kasmos

Apollo

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:19 PM

So far only a close call.

Once while reinstalling a lens in it's cell, it got cocked and stuck pretty bad. I took a deep breath took my time and was able to get it out without any damage.

p.s. maybe it was a classic mistake joining this forum, as my collection and obsession has soared ever since.

• James_SD, roscoe and steve t like this

#19 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Mariner 2

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:30 PM

This was my biggest telescope mistake, so far.  An eBay purchase, a momentary lapse of sanity.  When it arrived it didn't even have an complete objective, just the crown glass.  The tripod was an old wooden photographic one somehow converted for the telescope.  I did end up fitting a Zeiss Jena Telementor lens to the OTA and 3D printed a .965" eyepiece holder on a new brass focusing tube.  The old girl became a highly usable telescope and is  currently residing in a family with two smart young daughters who are on their way to becoming astronomers.            

IMG_5370_zpsa4ltq01g.jpg

• tim53, roscoe, steve t and 5 others like this

#20 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Vanguard

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:44 PM

This is totally embarrassing, but it's got to win the Classic Mistake Award! lol.gif

It's my RV-6 "mounted" on a temporary mount for my 12.5" which rolled out of the shed on lawn mower wheels!!!  What a kluge!  I shudder when I see it. I can't tell you the date of this photo, but it's somewhere around 1981. I can't remember why I did this, but it must have been a "brain child" after coming home from the bar.

med_gallery_211497_4490_1901084.jpg

• tim53, mattyfatz, roscoe and 10 others like this

#21 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:49 PM

Back when them fast Dobs had coma filled FOV's and no Paracorrs.

Edited by CHASLX200, 11 July 2018 - 06:50 PM.

#22 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Vanguard

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:40 PM

Not this one! It had a full thickness, 12.5” f/6.3 specially selected mirror from Coulter before they started their Dobsonians. This scope gave beautiful pinpoint stars across the entire field. I waited months for that mirror and it was worth the wait and more. I sure do miss it. I’ve seen Pluto with this scope, also the comet hitting Jupiter, and many other very memorable sights.

• BarabinoSr, steve t, Bill Griffith and 1 other like this

#23 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:56 PM

F/6.3 would be perfect. But them sub F/4.5 's in them days were pretty coma filled and just flat out bad most times.

#24 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:36 PM

I put lots of time into this one, convinced it was an Asahi-Pentax.... it wasn't.    very slight differences between focusers, but more obvious differences between whatever brand objective this had (there was no maker's mark) and an Asahi.

I finally gave it away.

Looks just like a real telescope though, doesn't it!

DSCN0536.JPG

Edited by roscoe, 11 July 2018 - 08:38 PM.

• steve t, deepwoods1, terraclarke and 4 others like this

#25 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:55 PM

I see you guys have all had your share of mistakes.   I think my biggest mistake was buying to many scopes and than hanging on to them all this time.  

• tim53, Vesper818, steve t and 3 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics