•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Show us your classic MISTAKE!

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#51 wfj

wfj

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California, Santa Cruz County

Posted 21 July 2018 - 04:43 PM

I had judged against a WO 66SD and found the 60 mm Asahi-Pentax to be the better scope.

Interesting.

I'm curious as to "how" it was "the better". Correction? CA? SA? Baffles? Focuser? Build quality? Usability? Fitness for purpose?

Normally you'd expect a "little" APO to wax an achromat. And since it's much shorter the moment arm on the mount, you'd expect it to be more solid on any mount. But an inexpensive manufactured item might lack in quality.

add:

I remember when the early Nikon APO's came out, they were f/12 - not much different in focal length than the f/15 achromat's they were replacing. There was a substantial improvement with all three of RGB coming to the same focus.

I'd expect that any APO would do the same. Perhaps ... they didn't all come to the same focus?

Edited by wfj, 21 July 2018 - 05:03 PM.

#52 rogue river art

rogue river art

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Grants Pass,Oregon

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:12 PM

So you essentially threw your body under the scope to prevent the scope getting damaged. Well done. At least you've got your priorities right.

No I was standing right where the scope fell. I like myself too much to get under something that weighs 200 lbs and is falling. It was just luck that I could prevent it from hitting the ground. If one of the other legs gave out it would have crashed down.

#53 jcricket

jcricket

Mariner 2

• Loc: Denver Area

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:29 PM

I don't really make any misteaks. Howver, I spend a lot of time learnin about things I shouldn't oughtta done!tongue2.gif

• GeneDiG, DreamWeaver and cookjaiii like this

#54 beanerds

beanerds

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Darwin Australia

Posted 24 July 2018 - 06:50 AM

I shudder to even remember mine , ( Thank's Tara ! ) ,  A 114mm f1000 Newtonion ,in a tube only 600mm long ??? ,yes a terrible Bird Jones ,, what a shocking telescope in all ways !!! so totally BAD it crashed at 30x  ( under 20x with the built in Barlow removed ) even with my Zeiss .965 eyepieces  .

Oh yes that EQ1 that was bad even by EQ1 standards .

I dumped it so no one would ever have to look thru it , ever again ! ,  after spending $75 for it in a Thrift shop .

Beanerds.

Edited by beanerds, 24 July 2018 - 06:52 AM.

• steve t likes this

#55 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:27 PM

I've witnessed a classic mistake that all should be aware of.

Edmund Scientific is without a doubt my favorite.

Now most of these white tube Super Space Conquerors are approaching a half century old.

The glue used to hold the diagonal mirror to the diagonal mirror stalk can 'let go' and if the

optical tube is being stored in the vertical position the diagonal mirror will make a 48 inch

dive right smack into the primary.

If you are lucky it will hit within the diagonal mirror's shadow, dead center, and leave a chip.

Check your diagonal mirror often, just give it a little shake-rattle-roll, or better yet zip a zip

lock bag over the assembly, just encase.

Robert

• TOM KIEHL likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics