•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion Starshoot Autoguider Pro mono vs. ASI224MC?

astrophotography beginner ccd CMOS equipment imaging Orion reflector
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Discovery

Discovery

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:56 PM

Hi everyone,

I originally posted this in the Solar System imaging forum, but didn't get any bites, and I think this may have been the appropriate spot (my apologies for the double post!!) 

I have been poking around here for a couple of years when I first got serious about observing, and purchased my first telescope since I was a kid, the Orion SpaceProbe 130ST EQ. I fell in love with what I could see, and naturally wanted to progress into astrophotography and continue to grow in the hobby. My goal was to pretty much "future proof" myself (for at least a decent period of time).  After much research and contemplation, I recently purchased the Orion 10" f/3.9 Newtonian Astrograph for some DSO imaging, along with the Orion Atlas Pro mount and Starshoot G4 mono camera.  Needless to say, this was quite the jump from the 130ST EQ, and I am enjoying learning the ins and outs of the new scope and mount.

I am hoping to get a little help in deciding which planetary camera/autoguider would be best for my set up and (lack of) skill.  In retrospect, I should have probably purchased this prior to the G4 (since I need the autoguider), but I got excited, and it was on sale when I bought it.

I am deciding between the Orion Starshoot Autoguider Pro mono (or the QHY5L-II...less expensive, but seems like there are mixed reviews on the software?) and the ZWO ASI224MC. I've heard it will be much easier to learn with a color camera, but I am more than willing to learn the hard way (I did get the G4 mono), to have a more sensitive camera. I learned about the 224MC here and it seems to produce excellent images, and USB 3.0 speeds, which is why I am leaning in that direction.

Does anyone have any advice on which camera would be the better option for planetary imaging and autoguiding the Atlas Pro mount?  Would the Starshoot Autoguider Pro mono ultimately provide better quality images just by virtue of being monochrome? My goal here would be to have both a capable autoguider for DSO imaging, and a quality planetary camera.

Also, I think it may be best to put the 130ST on the Atlas mount for planetary imaging rather than using the 10" because of how fast the 10" is, until I save up again for a more appropriate scope.  Any thoughts??

Thank you so much in advance, and I look forward to finally joining CN and hopefully sharing some images of my progress!

#2 AstroBri84

AstroBri84

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Hoboken, NJ

Posted 20 August 2018 - 04:02 PM

Hi there!

I hope you don't mind me asking a question rather than answering.

I picked up an Orion 130ST a few months ago (much the same as you, first adult telescope) Similarly I'm looking to upgrade my scope and mount sooner than later. But I was kicking around the idea of picking up a ZWO ASI178MC instead of using my Canon 7D for some imaging. I've made some decent images of the Saturn, Jupiter and the moon. One problem I'm having is given the 130ST is not really meant for astrophotography getting prime focus on with the 7D can only work if I use a barlow. I was curious if you ever tried to mount/test your 224MC on the 130ST. Are you able to achieve focus without a barlow?

Hope you're loving that Astrograph, I'm aiming for the same scope when I can!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, ccd, CMOS, equipment, imaging, Orion, reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics