•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nexstar hand controller

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 Jamz2233

Jamz2233

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Seacoast New Hampshire

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:04 PM

I just received a wing and sons HC 102gt mount combo, and the HC seems to be flashed for the advanced gt mount- so not quite compatible.  Hoping I can reflash the HC , unless anyone knows of a workaround?

My project is a $50 craigslist Nexstar 130gt in pretty good condition, but no HC.  I swapped the 130 clamshell onto the 102gt mount, seemed to fit just fine.  I may open them both up to make sure the internals are the same, as my 130 mount has a very wonky power jack.  

#27 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 15 October 2018 - 08:36 PM

I would be careful, as Advanced GT often shows up by default when the HC can't read the proper mount ID off of the motor controller board (and instead gets something like mount type 01 which is the Advanced GT). I would first run the Version function, it's under the Utilities menu. Have a look at Mike Swanson's great website for firmware information www.nexstarsite.com

You certainly can re flash the HC but I would first try and find out what's wrong, as it's very unlikely to have the wrong firmware. Instructions are also on Mike's website.

What kind of power source are you using on the new mount when testing? 

#28 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 21 October 2018 - 10:58 AM

Whoa! I'm assuming the 102GT is a 2nd generation GT; CostCo GT, Cosmos GT, whatever, it uses the Plus HBX. The 130GT is 1st generation and will only work with up to the Ver. 4 HBX.

Check the the NexstarSite for flashing the plus. IIRC if you connect the Plus to the 102GT and flash it it will only reflash as a NXS (Alt/Az). It cannot be reflashed on a 1st gen mount.

If you want an original HBX for a 1st gen or to convert the 130GT's drives and motor control board to 2nd gen I can get you the parts. PM me.

P8274927.JPG 032.JPG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics