•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Imaging Rig Online!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:18 PM

Just thought I would share the latest imaging rig pics. 

Mighty_MyT.jpg

Thanks to Pat (Pbunn) for the good deal and to Tolga for helping through the mesh process to get her working correctly. I probably shouldn't get her out night one without working on learning the Paramount way, but I figured I would jump into the deep end and see how it goes. 

I'll share first light pics as soon as they roll in. SV80 tonight since I do not have enough weights to use my other scopes. 

• h2ologg, scott4comp, psandelle and 10 others like this

#2 skompier

skompier

Lift Off

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:03 AM

Beautiful but does the wooden deck cause you any vibration issues?

#3 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Soyuz

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:52 AM

I'm guessing there can be issues but the quality of the data thay Bill cranks out suggests it's not detrimental. Unless he gets a chainsaw for his birthday i think the deck is really his only choice for a good view of the sky.

Looking forward to seeing what you think Bill! That thing has some flash!!!
  • psandelle, rockstarbill, Complexmystery and 1 other like this

#4 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Vanguard

• Loc: Nanaimo, BC

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:07 PM

Gotta admit I do love the RED color :)

Looking forward to any comparisons you have wrt the different mounts and different software performance wise.

• rockstarbill likes this

#5 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:24 PM

I'll share first light pics as soon as they roll in. SV80 tonight since I do not have enough weights to use my other scopes. 

Boy, do I empathize with that comment. Started with 2 20-lb weights - not QUITE enough for my SCT. Dropped back to my GTF-81 and was able to make do with one weight.  In the meantime, bought another 20-lb for the SCT setup. Barely enough. Tried adding the GTF-81 on the same setup (first piggyback, then side-by-side). Piggyback would have required a FOURTH 20-lb weight. And side-by-side I had a devil of a challenge in balancing before I gave up for now and tore down the whole rig to increase my pier height.

May she serve you well!

#6 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:25 PM

Provided animals and humans stay off of it and away from it while I am imaging, its usually fine. 

• psandelle likes this

#7 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:53 AM

As I typically do with all of my mounts, I hooked up PEMPro to the MyT to see how it would perform. Thankfully Tolga assisted me with setting the mesh on the mount correctly, and I think that work really paid off. Likewise, Ken sat on the phone and helped me understand the alignment methods and some of the other crazy moments of SkyX. I am very grateful for both of their contributions to my usage of the product. Thank you, Tolga and thank you Ken!

Some folks here were not sure how well PEMPro would correct Periodic Error on a Paramount, and I am pleased to tell you all that it will correct it just fine and dandy, while not as well as it can on AP mounts. I used a combination of PEMPro and the Accurate Polar Alignment tool in the Bisque software to get the mount aligned very well. Drift in the PEMPro PEC data was quite minimal. I ran 8 worm cycles of data for capture, and 5 worm cycles of data for validation - pretty much status quo for me and PEMPro. Before anyone asks, ProTrack was NOT enabled at all through data collection. 

Error:

MyT_PEM.JPG

Right at 5" of error, which is better than the 7" spec they advertise. There are no "known fundamentals" for the MyT, but I found a post on the PEMPro forums that suggested (by Ray) F1, F2, and F3 be used for these mounts. Quadratic fitting was the lowest RMS with these enabled as well, so that is how I built the curve. The others were pretty close in terms of error and RMS though, so I dont think it really matters much. No inversion was required.

What does matter, is the validation run. With PEM enabled on a 5 cycle validation run, here is the correction value:

MyT_PEM_Corrected.JPG

So in the end that is a pretty good change in terms of error. I have yet to use the built in PEC tool, but this looks to be pretty good to me!

• calypsob and tolgagumus like this

#8 entilza

entilza

Gemini

• Loc: Oakville, ON, Canada

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:05 AM

Looks great!  Hope you get some clear skies soon.

#9 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximénez - NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:32 AM

Hey, Bill - it was fun to talk with you last night and I'm glad that you got many of the glitches ironed out. Like anything, practice helps. Your pre-PEC peak-to-peak error is about the same as what I see on my MyT with the built-in Bisque TCS tool, but your post-PEC results are nicer than mine.

I think that talking to you brought me luck. After we hung up, the skies remained very stable for Denver with only the occasional cloud.

#10 pbunn

pbunn

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Spartanburg, SC

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:21 AM

I used that mount as a beginner and used it unguided. I packed it up as a remote mount  and bought a MX+ for my observatory.

If i knew it was that good - I might have kept it?  I was able to do some pretty decent beginner images with it unguided and no PEC.

#11 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:38 PM

It's certainly performing well! Now that mesh, alignment and periodic error are out of the way, I can work on getting some actual imaging time in tonight.
  • psandelle likes this

#12 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:07 PM

Hey, Bill - it was fun to talk with you last night and I'm glad that you got many of the glitches ironed out. Like anything, practice helps. Your pre-PEC peak-to-peak error is about the same as what I see on my MyT with the built-in Bisque TCS tool, but your post-PEC results are nicer than mine.

I think that talking to you brought me luck. After we hung up, the skies remained very stable for Denver with only the occasional cloud.

I am glad I could bring you some luck! Thanks for helping me get rolling I am sure that was the positive karma lords taking care of you in return. :)

The process for using PEMPro with SkyX is pretty entertaining, since you basically copy and paste the curve into SkyX and save it to the mount, reboot, rehome, then turn it on. 

#13 tolgagumus

tolgagumus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: NJ

Posted 14 July 2018 - 02:45 PM

I also find that I get better final results from PemPro vs the built in PE calculator to SkyX. Waiting for a night with good seeing really helps. I forget how to do this but there is a residual PE calculator in PemPro. First you measure and apply PEC as normal. Second you collect a second curve to compare and if there is anything left over or it's being over corrected, it refines the original curve. With this method I was able to bring PE down below noise levels on a few mounts. 

#14 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:34 PM

PEM Pro is pretty powerful and awesome software. The price of it is ridiculously good for what it can do for you. While I got my copy for free (with the AP1100) I would have no problem paying if I had to. I collected this data on New Moon. :) 

I looked at my PEM data bit more and I think frequency 1,2, and 4 would have been better for me to select. I may try that, upload it into the mount, and do a test run. There is some residual error that would likely come out if I included frequency 4 and frequency 3 looks like its just noise.

As far as curve refinement goes, I have tested that and the results I have had in the past on AP mounts were not as good. If the new curve delivers bad results, I'll give refinement a shot. Ray updated PEMPro 3 to be able to properly refine Paramount curves as well. smile.gif

Edited by rockstarbill, 14 July 2018 - 07:02 PM.

#15 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:55 PM

The new curve looks like this, with frequencies 1,2 and 4.

Attached Thumbnails

• MyT_PEM2.JPG

#16 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:04 PM

Hello again all!

The new rig is working well. I put the FSQ106 and QSI583 camera on the mount, set up a 70+ point TPoint model, enabled Pro Track, and uploaded a refined PEMPro Curve into the mount, based on Tolga's suggestion. The PE is virtually eliminated by this, which was a wonderful idea. Thanks for that Tolga!

I wanted to share a quick image and FWHM Eccentricity result I got last night. Note that this is unguided, 10 minute exposure, taken with SkyX LTI.

Unguided.JPG

Absolutely impressive. I took a 1 Second Lum frame of the exact same star field, and it reported identical results that you see from the script in PI. 

• psandelle, AstroGabe and WesC like this

#17 Koradox

Koradox

Explorer 1

• Loc: S. San Francisco, CA, USA

Posted 26 July 2018 - 03:14 PM

Thanks for posting this thread, I think I want to try PemPro with my mount once we get past the Summer "Always Foggy" season here.  Currious about the Meshing you did as well.  Maybe something worth trying when I do the re-grease in the fall?  Look forward to following and reading updates.

Tom

#18 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 26 July 2018 - 10:22 PM

Its a pretty easy process to adjust the cam and plungers. There is a good doc on the Bisque site that explains the process. Mine was really far off, but now that its adjusted the mount is working wonderfully. 

I should add that Tolga was a huge help with this, as he always is for people, and I did not even buy the mount from him. 

Edited by rockstarbill, 27 July 2018 - 12:16 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics