•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

StarSense not tracking very well

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 eckloss

eckloss

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:46 AM

Looking for advice.

I have a CGX mount, and was trying to use StarSense's auto-align feature. I did the auto-align, then re-centerd on a star, and did the auto-align again, as per instructions. When I tried to capture images with my ASI1600MC Pro, I could see a good bit of drift. Stars were out of center in a matter of minutes. I was not yet trying to use PDH2 for guiding. You could see significant trails on 10 and 30 second exposure. 

Am I missing something? I have read several accounts of StarSense tracking very well.

#2 JonnyBravo

JonnyBravo

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Dededo, Guam

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:54 AM

Starsense doesn’t track. It aligns the scope, nothing else. If you want to track you need a guidescope setup. Now the reason for your star trails is going to be a mount issue. It could be that your off a little on your mount setup, such as your latitude. But if you run the starsense and your object is in view then it’s not the starsense. Makesense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 eckloss

eckloss

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:58 AM

Maybe I've missed something simple here. The mount can be heard and seen making movements, in what I thought was an attempt to follow the star selected. Or is that just the mount compensating for drift?

#4 eckloss

eckloss

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:05 AM

Nevermind. I'm with you now.

• JonnyBravo likes this

#5 lenrabinowitz

lenrabinowitz

Vanguard

• Loc: Risa

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:20 AM

There are a couple of other things here. If you are usung an 8” or greater optical tube, that can really magnify the image. Any tracking errors are multiplied.

When doing center calibration, first roughly center with a low power eyepiece, then do fine centering with a high power eyepiece. That will give you more precise alignment and tracking. If you are centering using the camera, make sure you have it dead center.

Check your backlash settings. That can affect these things as well.

#6 lenrabinowitz

lenrabinowitz

Vanguard

• Loc: Risa

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:24 AM

If you have less than a full view of the sky, you might try using manual align as well. You choose the alignment points.

#7 fgraus

fgraus

Vostok 1

• Loc: Kansas, usa

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:17 PM

Are you doing anything for polar alignment? If your polar alignment is too far off you will see the view drift no matter how good your alignment is.

#8 Brass Hat

Brass Hat

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:19 PM

I have a cgem 2 with Starsense. You need to get good polar alignment first. I use a polemaster, super easy. Using the polar scope I found difficult. After polar alignment then use star sense. If its a little off add one or two reference stars, then it will be spot on.

#9 tonyt

tonyt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:43 PM

Starsense needs to be calibrated with the scope being used (I think that's what you meant with re-centering on a star) and you need to do the polar alignment routine. After that the mount should point accurately and track fairly well, though guiding is still needed for imaging.

#10 Lemonhawk

Lemonhawk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Harbor, FL

Posted 19 July 2018 - 11:42 PM

StarSense does not track a Star, it uses the picture of the star field to determine where the optical axis of the StarSense is pointing, which can be pointing at nothing.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics