•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Three planets and an ADC

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:59 AM

So, on my second attempt to master the ADC (and second ADC after selling the first), I managed to get some good images of Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. The seeing was excellent tonight, but very dewy. Cool temps, no wind, lots of skeeters...too many skeeters.

My set up: Nexstar C8, ZEQ25 mount, 2X barlow, ADC, ASI385MC camera, Firecapture 2.6 and post processing with Autostakkert!3, Registax 6 and minor tweaks in Paint.net.

Attached Thumbnails

• Mars_013122_lapl6_ap6_conv.jpg
  • Jup_224106_lapl6_ap19_conv.jpg
  • Sat_230606_lapl6_ap14_conv.jpg

• John Boudreau, deepwoods1, RedLionNJ and 4 others like this

#2 MHamburg

MHamburg

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:08 AM

Very impressive from your location. I didn't fare so well from the Berkshires.

Michael

#3 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:31 AM

I feel stupid for asking..whats an ADC? Advanced digital camera or analog to digital converter or yet something else entirely?

#4 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:36 AM

Atmospheric dispersion corrector. Corrects the red and blue wavelengths as they enter the earth's atmosphere and aligns them so they are focused at the same point.

#5 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:55 AM

great, something else to buyundecided.gif

• Achernar and Whuppy like this

#6 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:19 PM

The amusing thing here is that some people have used ADCs for several years (ASH and Pierro-Astro have sold them for likely close to a decade) and rarely even mentioned them in posts.

Then just this past couple years, they've become "popular" as the interesting planets (sorry, others!) have moved south.

Or is it just the typical hoopla associated with a perihelic opposition of Mars which is attracting the attention this summer?

#7 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:49 PM

I am primarily focused on deep sky objects so this sounds like something I can skip for now

#8 John Boudreau

John Boudreau

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Boston Area, MA

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:08 AM

The amusing thing here is that some people have used ADCs for several years (ASH and Pierro-Astro have sold them for likely close to a decade) and rarely even mentioned them in posts.

Then just this past couple years, they've become "popular" as the interesting planets (sorry, others!) have moved south.

Or is it just the typical hoopla associated with a perihelic opposition of Mars which is attracting the attention this summer?

Plus. in part due to the 'word' of ADCs has gotten out beyond the planetary imaging community and to mainstream observers--- and it can't be ignored that the low price of the ZWO ADC has brought the ADC to those who would be normally sitting on the fence about such a purchase.

I discussed ADCs with Al Nagler at Stellafane about 6 to 8 years ago, and although he mentioned he had looked into a design he just didn't see a viable market for it. Too bad, as I'm sure such a TeleVue product would have brought the ADC into the mainstream much earlier.

• roelb likes this

#9 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:59 AM

I discussed ADCs with Al Nagler at Stellafane about 6 to 8 years ago, and although he mentioned he had looked into a design he just didn't see a viable market for it. Too bad, as I'm sure such a TeleVue product would have brought the ADC into the mainstream much earlier.

Too funny - I did the same at NEAIC a few years back and then again a couple years ago. Still didn't see a market for it.

I tried the same approach with a high-quality 1.5x PowerMate - Televue still didn't see a market for it.  

Maybe they're a bit out of touch with the amateur community these days.  Would sell a TON of each.

• John Boudreau likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics