•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to add more star names in HNSKY map

charts
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 liborberka

liborberka

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:43 AM

Gentlmen please can someone explain how to add more star names instead of star TYCs into HNSKY sky chart in Wndows.For example when I put cursor on the star Betelgeuse it shows the TYC number only. There are names for just e few bright stars like Sirius, Canopus etc. I would prefer names for all 159 "navigational" stars similary like in linux Xephem star chart program. Same how to show planets names instead of their abbravition signs.

#2 Kyphoron

Kyphoron

Ranger 4

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:16 AM

In the objects tab the top section is for stars. There are options there for "star names" "Magnitude" and a drop down that allows you to go from TYC to HIP,PPM and SAO. Under that is another drop down menu that allows you to access more online. Hope this helps.

• liborberka likes this

#3 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:08 AM

Moved to Astronomy Software & Computers for better fit of topic.

#4 han59

han59

Vostok 1

• Loc: the Netherlands

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:25 PM

See screenshot below

Option 1, activate the internal star names

Option 2, Activate a supplement. e.g. Common stars, IAU catalog of star names ( a little more then 300) or Yale bright star catalogue.

Note that the option "name all stars" is a three state check-mark. Greyed is name supplement stars only, Check marked black is name all stars.

Han

hnsky stars.png
  • liborberka likes this

#5 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Albany, California, USA

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:47 PM

Note that the option "name all stars" is a three state check-mark. Greyed is name supplement stars only, Check marked black is name all stars.

Han

attachicon.gif hnsky stars.png

Hello, Han. You are the HNSky developer!

I would like to use this chance to thank you A LOT for the greatest desktop planetarium/star chart app for serious amateur work I ever saw to date! Extremely useful and well thought out UI! I've been using it exclusively for decades until finally moving completely to the handheld charting. Still installing it for the reference on every new PC along with just a handful of other must-have essentials. Your app has been an inspiration to me building our's as well!

http://www.hnsky.org/hnsstory.htm

Edited by halx, 13 July 2018 - 12:49 PM.

#6 liborberka

liborberka

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:03 AM

Gentlemen thank you fro the help iespecially from han59. Thank you han59 that's what I needed.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: charts

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics