•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Quick & dirty Andromeda

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 konzy

konzy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Munich, Germany

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:57 AM

Yesterday evening, I couldn't find sleep, thanks to the many happy Croatian football fans living here, in Munich frown.gif So I decided find some peace by watching the stars from my balcony. With my binoculars, I found Andromeda quite easily, which surprised me, since I was basically in the middle of a major German city and surrounded by city lights. So I decided to take a few pictures and see how it goes!

I can't see Polaris from my balcony, so I didn't try setting up the mount. I simply used a tripod, my camera (Fujifilm X-T1) and the Samyang 135mm f/2. I could see easily Andromeda in the live view (which surprised me once again!).

Here is the result! smile.gif I'm quite happy given the poor setup and the quick & dirty approach.

UJGaDd.jpg

Lights: ~300x1.5" ISO 1600 f/2.8

Darks: ~100

No bias/flat

Stacked with DSS, processed lightly with PS

Edited by konzy, 12 July 2018 - 06:58 AM.

• otocycle, epee, George Bailey and 15 others like this

#2 epee

epee

Vanguard

• Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:47 AM

Outstanding!

• konzy likes this

#3 Luca Brasi

Luca Brasi

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:08 AM

Nice, did that with just a tripod in the middle of Munich! Pretty much how Andromeda looks through my 14"... If I could fit Andromeda in one FOV.
  • MikeTahtib likes this

#4 Capn26

Capn26

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:15 AM

Beautiful work.
  • konzy likes this

#5 konzy

konzy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:23 AM

Thanks guys! :) I need to find a dark side out of town to make better pictures. My balcony is nice and cozy, but not very suited for astro work...

#6 jerobe

jerobe

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:00 AM

Great work! I didn't realize that 1 1/2 second subs could yield that much data.

#7 konzy

konzy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:37 AM

Thanks Jerobe! Well, me neither. Andromeda is much brighter than I thought. At 1am, it was around 55Β°. And I was just at ISO 1600 and f/2.8, to limit the noise and vignetting, and increase sharpness.

#8 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal XimΓ©nez - NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

• Moderators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:42 AM

Beautiful image. Wrong Forum. Moving from Beginners' to Beginning & Intermediate Imaging.

#9 Apposl

Apposl

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:27 PM

This is really inspiring. I've been struggling with Andromeda as a beginner the past week and can't decide if I'm better served with ISO800/60sec or 1600/60sec. I'm just on a Nikon D5300 and 18-105mm kit lens though. Processing kicks my ****, I'm a bit color-blind. Anyway, this looks really great!

• konzy likes this

#10 konzy

konzy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Today, 03:42 AM

Thanks Ken! Sorry for posting in beginners, I actually didn't know about the other forum, that is indeed more suited.

Apposl, I think trial and error is your best friend! From my readings, the best ISO range for astro is usually between 800 and 1600, but it depends on the camera you're using. For mine, 800 seems to give better results, but sometimes 1600 is a better option if I need a faster shutter speed.

For processing, that might be tricky for a color blind person, indeed. I'm sure you're not the only one though, and it might be interesting to ask how other people process their pictures! They might have some interesting tips to share :)

Good luck!

#11 Peter Zbib

Peter Zbib

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted Today, 08:54 AM

Your balcony is truly excellent!

πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½

(Too bad for Croatia: it was the best team but soccer is soccer and VAR or no VAR referees make mistakes...)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics