•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Scraping the Bottom of the Barrel - 14° Altitude

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RandallK

RandallK

Vanguard

• **---
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:16 PM

Having not been to a dark site in a few years, I decided to take my stuff out to the front driveway last night. Despite having 3 sodium vapour streetlights shining in my eyes and cars with blazing headlight going to and fro...I didn't do to bad. I knew I'd be hampered by the fir trees on the hill above me but I persevered. I wanted to go somewhere into the constellation of Saggitarius  which is loaded with astronomical gems. 

My target was M8 and I was very surprised. I got about 1.5 hours of imaging time between the fir trees and light pollution. I used my new ASI1600MC-s and WO Zenithstar 103.

I managed to keep 13 - 5 minute frames for processing, which I have not yet done. But here is just ONE sub-frame with the Bayer matrix quickly removed by a Gaussian blur in CS6.

I will be doing all my calibrations in PI as soon as I get a chance. But despite the light pollution, I hope this gives others a hope that you can still get some decent images regardless of 

your lighting surroundings.  Comments most welcomed. Thanks for looking, I will post the colour image shortly.

M8_300sec_1x1_RGB_frame13_CN.jpg

#2 StephenW

StephenW

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:01 PM

Well done Randal!  I fully agree: Don't let you surroundings, light pollution or even a meager 14 degree altitude put you off!  smile.gif

I do most of my imaging from a white zone (San Jose, CA).  I pretty much only shoot narrow-band, mostly Ha. 

I'm never going to win an APOD, but it doesn't mean I can't have some fun! smile.gif

M8_Lagoon.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics