•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

hows the AVX tripod vs the CPC tripod

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 b16707

b16707

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: California

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:06 PM

not talking about the mount. Just the legs + accessory tray combo. Are these two legs identical? Still thinking about what to do with my CPC if i should just part out the mount+OTA from the legs to sell as i could use the legs in my astrophotography or other applications.

Edited by b16707, 12 July 2018 - 07:56 PM.

#2 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cumberland, Maryland, United States of America

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:12 PM

They are both two-inch steel tripods.  But they are not intercompatible to use with other Celestron mounts.

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 12 July 2018 - 06:12 PM.

#3 b16707

b16707

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:13 PM

Oh wait, thats true, not compatible. Are there adapters or anything that can adapt a CPC to AVX or visa versa?

Edited by b16707, 12 July 2018 - 06:15 PM.

#4 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:15 PM

Oh wait, thats true, not compatible. Are there adapter or anything that can adapt a CPC to AVX or visa versa?

Not without modification, as far as I know.  I specifically contacted Celestron about this regarding trying to upgrade the tripods on their other mounts :-( .

#5 b16707

b16707

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:16 PM

darn. good to know thanks for the info.

why wouldnt they make a standard tripod for all product lines would be my next logical question.

#6 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:22 PM

why wouldnt they make a standard tripod for all product lines would be my next logical question.

They really need to.  The tripod is the weakest part for many of their mounts.  E.g. for the iOptron Cube mounts, you can get the mount without a tripod, and then choose between a 1.25" steel tripod (like the Nexstar SLT), a 1.25" steel wedgepod (like the Nexstar 4SE), or a 2" steel tripod (like the Advanced VX or CPC).

Sometimes I wonder if Celestron deliberately engineers this way just so if anything happens to just one part, you have to purchase a whole new telescope to replace it.  They would make more money though selling the low-end mounts with cheap tripods, and then offering a better tripod as an upgrade option.

• ShaulaB likes this

#7 tonyt

tonyt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:23 PM

The base of the CPC is much wider than an equatorial mount base: the wide tripod top makes the CPC more stable while the narrow tripod top makes it less likely for a refractor (or counterweight) to strike the tripod with an eq mount. 

• Castor, jeffreym and Nicole Sharp like this

#8 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:44 PM

Celestron does have some standardization in their tripods .... at least for much of the Alt Az family. The EQ mounts however all seem to use unique tripod heads (different diameter mounting points, some with a small pier above, some without).

The higher end Alt Az mounts (6/8 SE, Evolution, CPC, and the discontinued Ultima and NexStar GPS as far as I know, there could be others) all use the same 3 bolt pattern to affix the mount to the tripod head. So they are all interchangeable without major modifications. There are some differences in captured bolt lengths but they all are 3/8" x 16. There is also the center spreader bar bolt and that started out using SAE/imperial threads and is now metric.

• Castor likes this

#9 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:47 PM

Celestron does have some standardization in their tripods .... at least for much of the Alt Az family. The EQ mounts however all seem to use unique tripod heads (different diameter mounting points, some with a small pier above, some without).

The higher end Alt Az mounts (6/8 SE, Evolution, CPC, and the discontinued Ultima and NexStar GPS as far as I know, there could be others) all use the same 3 bolt pattern to affix the mount to the tripod head. So they are all interchangeable without major modifications. There are some differences in captured bolt lengths but they all are 3/8" x 16. There is also the center spreader bar bolt and that started out using SAE/imperial threads and is now metric.

Would the iOptron 2" steel tripod with (3/8)" thread work with an SE or Evolution mount?  https://www.ioptron....t-p/7122acc.htm

#10 b16707

b16707

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:59 PM

The base of the CPC is much wider than an equatorial mount base: the wide tripod top makes the CPC more stable while the narrow tripod top makes it less likely for a refractor (or counterweight) to strike the tripod with an eq mount. 

that makes perfect sense. I had a hunch it was this. But still...darn. Wished i could just save my cpc tripod haha

#11 Xeroid

Xeroid

Apollo

• Loc: USA

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:57 PM

Not compatible UNLESS you build an adapter plate, say out of 3/4 inch Birch plywood.

The NexStar SE requires a wider platform and utilizes 3 bolts to secure the mount to the 1.5" tripod.

The iOptron 3/8 inch center rod,  2 inch tripod has a round top,  approx 4 inches in diameter.

The iOptron 2 inch tripod is one heavy and tall mudder and can easily handle a Celestron C 9.25 rock steady WITHOUT the legs extended.

Would the iOptron 2" steel tripod with (3/8)" thread work with an SE or Evolution mount?  https://www.ioptron....t-p/7122acc.htm

#12 jallbery

jallbery

Vanguard

• Loc: Southeast Michigan

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:05 AM

Sometimes I wonder if Celestron deliberately engineers this way just so if anything happens to just one part, you have to purchase a whole new telescope to replace it.  

That seems a bit unfair.

Celestron has employed the same basic geometry for connecting a fork mount to a wedge for over 40 years.   If you have an original orange tube C8 tripod and wedge, you can take a 2018 4/5SE mount and attach it directly to the fork using the three bolts from the 70s scope.  You'll probably need longer bolts and spacers to mount a CPC, Evo, or 6/8SE as their bases are wider than the older equatorial forks, but the bolt spacing is correct.

The OTA I use most on my Evo mount isn't the C6 that I bought with it, but rather a 1980 orange tube.

The OTA I use most often on my 4SE mount is a omni C5 (which originally sat on a CG4 GEM mount).

Celestron only changed the tripod-to-wedge linkage when the advent of goto forks allowed for wedge-free operation for visual use in an alt-az configuration.   

It is true, however, that there is much less interchangeability among Celestron's GEM mounts.   However, this hardly a case of planned obsolescence.  Historically, Celestron's GEMs have relied heavily on borrowed components from other manufacturers (Vixen, Losmandy, Chinese Vixen clones) to save design costs.

As others have stated, the fork and GEM tripods have different design requirements.

#13 Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson

Vostok 1

• Loc: Stockholm, NJ

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:27 AM

I have the Celestron p/n 93493 heavy duty tripod used with my nexstar C-11 gps. That tripod also fits the evolution and SE mounts. I am using it with my 8SE. You might want to keep the tripod in case you get an evolution or SE mount or scope.

#14 b16707

b16707

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:04 PM

I guess it depends on what i do with the scope. one part of me says ill want something like an AVX in the future for photography but the other part of me says I can just use a regular cam + lens to get what I want to do and just get a regular alt+az mount+scope

I suppose an evo or SE mount + scope are harder to come by without tripod?

#15 astro_77733

astro_77733

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 August 2018 - 10:20 AM

You can't really compare an Alt/Az mount to an EQ mount. I own an AVX mount and  have used it very successfully for astroimaging and I have used it for outreach events. Believe me an Alt/Az is much better for outreach events then an Eq but by the same token and EQ is much better for imaging.  Both mounts track very well so what ever you choose you'll be happy I'm sure.

Ray

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics