•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Full frame canon for Milky Way shots?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Beechnut

Beechnut

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Columbus Ohio

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:54 PM

I’m trying to decide between 6d, 6d mark 2, and the 5d mark 4.   I have an 80d but would like to move into full frame if I will see an improvement.

thanks

• mgstahl likes this

#2 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Voorhees, NJ

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:04 PM

I’m trying to decide between 6d, 6d mark 2, and the 5d mark 4.   I have an 80d but would like to move into full frame if I will see an improvement.

It depends on whether you are shooting on a fixed tripod, or an equatorial tracking mount.

All have very similar readout noise, not enough to worry about.

If you put a fast lens on the full frame and use it wide open, like a 35mm f/1.4, you should see a considerable improvement over the 80D.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry Lodriguss, 12 July 2018 - 08:05 PM.

• mgstahl likes this

#3 bnickeson

bnickeson

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:04 PM

The 6D classic is still an excellent camera and quite cheap nowadays.  I can't say you'll really gain anything image-wise with the 6DII, so I wouldn't really recommend it.  The 5DIV is excellent and would probably exceed the performance of the 6D, mainly in high ISO noise performance, but you'll be spending a lot more for a reasonably small improvement.  I own three 6D's if that says anything about what I think of them.

#4 archy990

archy990

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Madison, Wisconsin

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:41 PM

I have a Canon 5D Mark II (astromodified) that is fantastic for wide-field work as well as for imaging at prime focus through my telescope. While I've been doing prime focus astrophotography for a few years, I just started doing wide-field with the 5DMII mounted piggy-back on my 80mm guidescope riding on my CGEM mount. Here's one of my recent wide-field images with details. As noted above the 6D you can find used for a nice price and get going with the full frame sensor. The 6DMII and the 5DMIV would be terrific cameras, but may be more (and cost more?) than you need if you just want to get into full frame sensor imaging. Good luck with your decision!

Best,

Jeff

Madison, WI

Rho Ophiuchi Nebulae

Canon 5D Mark II (astromodified; Baader UV/IR cut)
Tamron 28-76mm f2.8 lens at 76 mm
f4
CGEM mount
Guided (Lacerta MGEN II)
ISO 1600
19x3min subexposures (57mins total integration)
PixInsight (calibrated, registered, stacked, post-processed)
Photoshop (finish processing)

#5 andrewweeks

andrewweeks

Lift Off

• Loc: Western Suburbs of Chicago

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:15 AM

thanks

I have a Canon 6D. Here is a full frame landscape shot of the milky way and one in Sagittarius : 

https://flic.kr/p/22HWNFQ

https://flic.kr/p/LPooSo

• mgstahl likes this

#6 jforkner

jforkner

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Copperopolis, CA

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:00 AM

The change to FF is not just restricted to astrophotography.  Other forms of photography can benefit as well.

Things to consider in moving to FF includes a change in focal length for existing lenses, and more real estate to work with in your frames.  While IQ may not change much, these factors plus camera features will probably be key factors to consider.  Not clear how being tripod-mounted or not is a factor.

If you’re really undecided, rent one of your choices and see for yourself.

Jack

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics