•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Auto Guide Questions Celestron VX

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mdmyer

mdmyer

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:56 PM

I am an advanced amateur astronomer, and kind of an advanced photographer too. I have a 20" Starmaster dob telescope with GO TO and tracking, so I understand star alignment and go to. In the past I have done prime focus photography though a 10" F 4.5 and a 16" f 4.5 on large German Equatorial mounts, but I manually guided those exposures, and they were with film cameras. I have done some wide field piggy back photography with a Canon 5D Mark III using a 14mm F 2.8, a 24-70 F 2.8, and a 70-200 f 2.8 I use an Ioptron Sky Tracker Pro and it works well. But I also have a 300mm F 2.8 that I want to shoot with, wide field astrophotography. And I doubt the Sky Tracker will carry the 300mm and the 5D Mark III. So I have been looking at the Celestron Advanced VX. And I have been looking at auto guiding. That is where my questions will be. I am considering shooting with the 300mm and an old Celestron C-90 setting side by side on the VX and using the C-90 as a guide scope. Will a lap top be needed to guide the VX in this set up? At this point I don't feel a need to have a lap top in the field with me. But I do like the idea of auto guiding the 300mm. Will the VX auto guide using a C-90 as a guide scope, the C-90 does have an 1 1/4" star diagonal in it. If the C-90 won't work I am sure I can pick up something that will work as a guide scope. What auto guiding eyepieces or cameras do you have?Thanks for your help.

#2 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Gemini

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:05 PM

Autoguiders are normally controlled by a computer. There are a few that have it built in, like the Celestron NexGuide Autoguider.  You could use the C-90. I have never tried the all in one autoguider. I would suspect getting them in focus is a challenge.

https://www.celestro...uide-autoguider.

#3 zxx

zxx

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:23 PM

At 300mm FL the AVX should give you 1min exposures unguided with a good PA ,A 50mm guide scope may work better for guiding

I could get 1min exposures unguided with my CG-4 mount at 600MM FL 

Edited by zxx, 12 July 2018 - 09:37 PM.

#4 mdmyer

mdmyer

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:36 PM

Thank you for your advice. The Celestron dedicated auto guider looks like something I could use, but it is on back order. I am checking with Celestron to see when they expect have to more in stock. Are there any other auto guiders that I could consider? Again, I am mostly looking for just a guider, and not anything that would require a lap top. I did ask Celestron if focusing was done on the screen on the guider, they have not replied yet. Thanks again. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics