•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Seeking advice on guide scope and camera

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rjhat3

rjhat3

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:19 PM

I recently received my Atlas EQ-G mount. I am currently mounting an Orion 120mm f5 short tube telescope. I plan to upgrade to a better refractor later. For now, I have what I have. I am looking for advice on a guiding scope and camera that doesn't break the bank. Preferably under 400 for the combo. Can you guys give a recommendation, no matter what the cost? I am looking for a scope and camera that will still work for my upgraded telescope.

#2 zxx

zxx

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:33 PM

I recently received my Atlas EQ-G mount. I am currently mounting an Orion 120mm f5 short tube telescope. I plan to upgrade to a better refractor later. For now, I have what I have. I am looking for advice on a guiding scope and camera that doesn't break the bank. Preferably under 400 for the combo. Can you guys give a recommendation, no matter what the cost? I am looking for a scope and camera that will still work for my upgraded telescope.

The 50mm finder guider works up to 1500mm FL .I use my ZWOASI120mc for a guide camera,works great 

#3 syyntax

syyntax

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Acworth, GA

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:55 PM

What is your main imaging camera?

#4 rjhat3

rjhat3

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:57 PM

A T6S Canon DSLR

Edited by rjhat3, 12 July 2018 - 10:58 PM.

#5 syyntax

syyntax

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:23 PM

I would recommend the ASI120MM Mini - $160

https://astronomy-im...120mm-mini-mono

and find a decent 50-60mm guide scope - $110

This one is the one I have: https://www.telescop...er/p/102417.uts

It fits in the "shoe" on your scopes focuser housing.. for 600mm focal length guiding it will be

for $270 it's not a bad deal. I paid more than that for the whole Magnificent Mini Guider package from orion.. but the camera that comes with that package is ok,.. but you'll be better off with the ASI 120MM, it matches the image scale of your main camera at a 1:3 ratio, do some searching on recent posts about guide camera/imaging camera guide ratio for more reading.

You will eventually want to get a vixen rail and some rings to mount it "inline" on top of your existing scope for more rigidity (the "shoe" can be a source of flexure, of which you can find countless discussions on here about).

#6 AntMan1

AntMan1

Viking 1

• Loc: NY

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:51 PM

I have been through 4 guide scopes and this is the best one i found that won't break the piggy bank " link below" & as far as the guide camera i suggest you put a few more dollars into a ZWO ASI290MM Mini over a 120 any day.

https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#7 syyntax

syyntax

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:49 AM

I agree with AntMan, I only recommended the ASI120 due to his stated budget constraint.

The ASI290mm (which is the guide cam I have) is more sensitive camera, with smaller pixels. gives a better SNR on guide stars.

If you can afford to bump up the camera budget.. go for it.

For comparisons between guide camera and imaging camera:

I use this site: https://astronomy.to...ope_suitability

you generally want a 1:5 ratio or below, there are other considerations as well. 

Weight of the guide scope

Speed of the scope (the 70mm is an F/5.7 )

#8 fewayne

fewayne

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:08 PM

If you go with one of the ASI 120s, do be sure to get the -S version (USB3). I did on the advice of folks here who had no end of compatibility and reliability probs with the non-S. I've been pretty happy with my Orion Mini 50 and the 120MC-S, then again I'm only imaging at 362mm.

• mikefulb likes this

#9 mdmyer

mdmyer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:54 PM

I have been studying this thread. Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.

#10 rjhat3

rjhat3

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:36 PM

Thanks guys. I just ordered the ZWO ASI120mm camera and the Orion deluxe 50mm guide scope. I will plan on getting rings and a rail for it too. The "shoe" has been a subject of soreness for me and doesn't really scream precision. Thank you all for the advice.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics