•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mystery of Charles Barns, Alfred Noyes, & Frederick Brasch

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Crusty99

Crusty99

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:52 PM

Like many of us, I have old astronomy books scattered about the house.

I just opened a copy of 1001 Celestial Wonders (3rd ed., 1931) by Charles Edward Barnes. A black and white, 4-page brochure had been placed between pages 134-135. The brochure was picked up at The Mount Wilson Observatory at some point and the following inscription appeared on the front of the brochure:

"here is where we went when I first came here" 

Back to Barnes book. At the bottom of page 135, Barns included the following quote:

"In the whole history of science none bears witness to pathos of struggle and the heroic lives of its devotees as does astronomy."

--Brasch

I really like this quote.

Who was Brasch?

After a few hours of research,  I identified Frederick Edward Brasch (1875-1967) -- librarian and bibliographer, with an interest in the history of science. Wait, Brasch's biography also says he worked as an Asst. Observer at Harvard College Observatory (1903-1904) and then at Lick Observatory (1905). And before this, he studied Astronomy at Stanford University (1897-1899). 

Why did Charles Edward Barnes include a quote from Frederick Edward Brasch on page 135 of his classic book?

My best guess is because Brasch wrote a much quoted book review of Watchers of the Sky, Volume 1 in the epic poem trilogy The Torch-Bearers by Alfred Noyes (1880-1958), famous poet, writer, and playwright of that time.

And Brasch's book review of Noyes' poems about torch-bearing astronomers appeared in Popular Astronomy, Vol. 30 (1922), p. 513-516

Mystery solved -- more or less.

Somebody visited Mount Wilson Observatory and decided to place the 4-page black-and-white brochure at page 135 of Barnes' popular book, as a page marker for Brasch's famous quote in Popular Astronomy (1922). 

And like many of us, I purchased a used book and placed it in my personal library.

What mysteries do you have -- waiting to be discovered -- in your old books?

bounce.gif

• George N, DHEB and smithrrlyr like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics