•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron 6SE vs 8SE or 8 Advanced VX SCT with CMOS digital astronomy?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 markm75c

markm75c

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:10 PM

Im diving into the world of computerized telescopes and fairly new to that end.. and also to digital..

I've already ordered a ZWO ASI224MC, done extensive research and had a budget of around $1000 or less for the scope and gotten some very good pointers from folks on here to get me to this point (very much appreciated), trying to isolate and pin point things between these 3 now that i know the digital angle and size options for the first scope.

Given that getting a better GME (equatorial mount) was a bit out of the range for me.. more expensive avx being $799 (and maybe too light for an 8") or other ones that start at $2200 for the mount,

I was ok with the SE line and thinking it would give me some good digital shots and maybe planet animations (using post processing) of exposure times of what appears to be 30 seconds or less.

So i had basically pulled the trigger on the 6 but then thought maybe i should cancel it and go with the 8 for more detail, but i see many talking about motor shake and issues because it pushes the limits of the mount it comes with, though i think some may have swapped out the mount cheaply (somehow, non GME too) or added weights or pads to help or motofocusers( but unsure if the focuser helps with cmos imaging) or found workarounds.

At this point i'm unsure.. go with the 6SE or the 8SE and still be able to do decent astrophotography and maybe later upgrade the mount in 3+ years..  If the clear answer is that i can do imaging that I already figured on doing on either but with more detail on the 8se, then the answer is easy..  If i'm in for a world of real hurt with the 8se comparatively then maybe not.  I also dont think the size of the 8 matters that much (transport in back of a van, put the ota in a container for transport etc).. still room for kids and family.

..briefly considered the CGT but it appears to be older and heavier than the vx.

*At this point i think ill just go for the 8 advanced vx sct rather than swapping out mounts later, but all of this could be unnecessary depending on what i ultimately end up doing the most with the scope (i also dont think the vx is that much heavier).  Or perhaps go the route of a used 8SE with SE mount and swap later (roughly half the cost of new for used and any worries there on 3 years old equip, this price seemed reasonable)  I also saw really good dso shots with the 8 avx but they were using an orion Mini AutoGuider (unsure what that does exactly, but the pics were great)

Any thoughts/suggestions on these particular models.. anyone used the 8se for digital (cmos / ccd etc) or VX  perhaps with some input on actual use?

Thanks

Edited by markm75c, 12 July 2018 - 11:28 PM.

#2 khursh

khursh

Ranger 4

• ****-

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:29 PM

I do not have outstanding images, but I have used an AVX and a C8 with CMOS imagers. Please look at my gallery. There are better examples, but mine are pretty representative from a suburban zone.

• markm75c likes this

#3 khursh

khursh

Ranger 4

• ****-

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:36 PM

PS. go over to the EAA forum, Look in Astro Video Gallery. There are lots of examples of both AVX and Alt-Az mount images.

#4 markm75c

markm75c

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:55 PM

PS. go over to the EAA forum, Look in Astro Video Gallery. There are lots of examples of both AVX and Alt-Az mount images.

ill check this out and your photos dont look bad considering suburban (which is where ill be most of the time).

It was mentioned as well, that i could use the existing mount (possibly) and add a $100 used st80 80mm refractor to do better looking dso images.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics