•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Some old, some new, and my first comet

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:34 PM

Since I built my 16", I've only used it about half a dozen times, mostly under poor conditions.

Tonight I decided to stay up past midnight observing, since conditions were finally good and I finally had the time and energy.

I started with M13. Very nicely resolved, almost like an open cluster instead of a globular. Next was M3 - nice and resolved. Then M57 - puffy structure like the photographs.

After that, I decided to go after some new-ish targets that I haven't observed with it, or at least not under optimal conditions. I'm doing this from memory here, so this may not be in exact order.

M4 - Nice cluster, more like an open than a globular. 

M80 - Very compact glob, some individual stars.

Comet 21P/Giacobini-Zinner - My first comet! A faint but detectable fuzz, very easy to find.

M11 - Ridiculously bright, actually looks like a bird in flight. Thousands of stars.

M71 - Football-shaped glob, resolved pretty well.

M27 - Somewhere between a football and an apple core in shape, very bright.

NGC 6939 - Nice open cluster.

C12 - Only the very central core was visible, and very dim - harder to see than 21P. Disappointing.

C34 - Could see the part from 62 Cygni on eastward, very faintly, without a filter. I'm impressed.

M21 - Decent open cluster.

M8 - Some bright nebulosity to the east of the main cluster.

M17 - Swan's body was visible, the head was not. Some texture.

I finished up with Saturn, which was okay looking (poor seeing), then packed it in.

• Sasa, ShaulaB, clusterbuster and 1 other like this

#2 dhawn

dhawn

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Barbara, CA

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:59 PM

Excellent looking scope and great report. Hoping to have a good night like this before the moon comes back.

• Augustus likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics