•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter _ im taking a break for a while...i think

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: sebastian fl

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:36 PM

with mars all dusty and Saturn never changing always the same unlike Jupiter and Jupiter only good for short time in the evening I think im going to take a break for a while to take care of of other things. hopefully mars will clear up soon. I could make an anime out of these 4. one needs to be brightened a bit. i dd these right after a hot day at sunrise i had the garden hose running under the scope and allover the driveway 

2018-07-13-0050_7-L_AS_p30_g6_ap9_conv_2.jpg

2018-07-13-0057_7-L_AS_p30_g6_ap9_conv_2.jpg

2018-07-13-0117_7-L_AS_p30_g6_ap42_conv_2.jpg

• Scott Beith, netwolf, troyt and 19 others like this

#2 netwolf

netwolf

Mariner 2

• Loc: NSW, Australia

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:37 PM

wow nice detail

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

#3 AdrianoMS

AdrianoMS

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Volta Redonda, Brazil

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:31 AM

Very nice images of Jupiter!

#4 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Outback NT, Australia

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:09 PM

That's sad to hear, mate, but you've certainly done your share! Your images have been particularly inspiring to me…consistently the best pics of summer planetary oppositions I've ever seen, and among the best amateur shots ever. So thank you…I look forward to your return.

Cheers,

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 13 July 2018 - 10:11 PM.

• DarkAntimatter likes this

#5 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:14 PM

with mars all dusty and Saturn never changing always the same unlike Jupiter and Jupiter only good for short time in the evening I think im going to take a break for a while to take care of of other things. hopefully mars will clear up soon. I could make an anime out of these 4. one needs to be brightened a bit. i dd these right after a hot day at sunrise i had the garden hose running under the scope and allover the driveway
2018-07-13-0050_7-L_AS_p30_g6_ap9_conv_2.jpg
2018-07-13-0117_7-L_AS_p30_g6_ap42_conv_2.jpg

Altogether now “Oh no you’re not!!”
  • Lacaille, JupiterOwl, DarkAntimatter and 1 other like this

#6 Gabor Kiss

Gabor Kiss

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 July 2018 - 02:07 PM

Very nice captures!

#7 DigitalFox

DigitalFox

Explorer 1

• Loc: Riverside, CA

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:42 PM

Those are all wonderful images of Jupiter. The amount of detail is a sight to behold. I agree about Jupiter always having a changing landscape to present to the viewer. It's dynamic in a way that the other planets are not.

• chdr likes this

#8 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:25 AM

thse above images are nice but they seem to lack color and dont seem to be my best images of the season. although Jupiter is still good for imaging it is heading into the evening sky at a very fast rate . thid=s time of year we get constant real bad FHAWTS Or Florida Heat Activated Wimpy Thunderstorms, they usually die out the second the sun sets unlike the real t storms upp north in the tri state area go all night. sorry I had to figure how t throw in the a to make it funny and even if we get a clear evening the driveway will be very ht. I think to hot to cool down with water unless i set up a sprinkler head to cool the drive way as the sun sets. there fore I belive its to late in the season to really be able to properly image. As for saturn I already got my best image. kind of funny that its an amcap image and its not thousands and thousands of frames or from an mm cam rgb rgb rgb rgb 40,000 frames stacked and derotated in winjupos. But only around 4000 out of 9000 imaged with the exposure up to I think it was around 20ms or 16 and the gain turned down with auto white balance selected. tThe storms on saturn in the eq band and polar region make it a little more intriguing to image. as for mars its a dust ball so I seem to have lost my steam lol but thats not saying i wont try again . heres this evenings lightning strikes in a short time and the Saturn image . there both from am cap the july2nd it the better one

tstorm season.jpg

july2sat20181_AS_f5000_g5_ap28.jpg

june26saturn2018_AS_f4000_g5_ap30_23.jpg

• Scott Beith, Lepton3 and Lacaille like this

#9 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:31 AM

i suspect the bottom image is slightly out of focus

#10 TonyStar

TonyStar

Viking 1

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:42 PM

This is an excellent image, I can tell the seeing must have been excellent for this capture. It is flipped left to right though.

Here, set aside the storm in the equatorial zone and N polar region, you have also captured a small oval disturbance in the North tropical zone. I know for sure because I captured the same storm on July 5th.

#11 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:41 PM

i just wish Saturn was as dynamic as Jupiter with constant changing storms

#12 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:53 PM

i just wish Saturn was as dynamic as Jupiter with constant changing storms

What? That's like saying you wished black was white. Or Jupiter was Saturn. Some people are never happyforeheadslap.gif

#13 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:45 PM

what i mean is if it weren't for the 2 storms on Saturn right mow there would be no difference to what side of Saturn was visible and even if you captured 1 image every 15 min for 3 hours and made a gaf cartoon there would be nothing significant to watch while the cartoon was running aside from any ring details . i feel like once you got your best Saturn for the apparition that's it your done lol whereas with Jupiter the immediate area around the swgrs changes everyfew days and the polar region changes from day to day. ists like if you were imaging the earth from Venus if Venus were just like earth that is . so with mars thats all nice but if its going to be covered with dust then its done for the season.

Edited by moonwatching ferret, 19 July 2018 - 07:46 PM.

• kevinbreen likes this

#14 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:57 PM

That's not correct Ferret - there are very nearly always small storm spots (dark or light) that can be picked up & as in one of our recent Saturn threads, interesting ring phenomena also - back a few years ago we picked up "squiggles" in the rings for want of a better word :lol: that no-one we asked could explain, but they were "real" in that they appeared in several consecutive images over a couple of hours.

Spokes are another difficult challenge btw.

It might be too late now but you could also try resolving more detail in those Northern sub-polar storms... ;)

Uranus (good elevation for you also!) as well as Neptune must be even worse in your estimation :lol: but another real challenge - everything I've mentioned here is a far greater challenge than Jove for example in most respects - so if you want to keep improving they ought to be part of the bucket list for you..! grin.gif

#15 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:29 PM

uranus and neppy are good targets. i already figured i got some nicr details on Ganymede i should get some nice images on the 2 wee gas giants. I am not done with Jupiter its just that its cloudy every evening. I should have some funds available any day now from my inheritance. i need to get the car insured and another external drive. my laptop is full although i still dont know why my c drive says 69 gig free out of 839. once i get that external; drive i can go nuts and get a bunch of files with Saturn all w/o twisting my cam or changing roi then i could do a nice gaf cartoon. theres also a chance mars will clear

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics