•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASCOM.DSLR - ASCOM driver for dslr camers (Canon, Nikon)

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#26 rwgrwg

rwgrwg

Vendor (SharpCap)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Vale of the White Horse, Oxfordshire, UK

Posted 09 September 2018 - 10:44 AM

Hi,

next time press the 'Report Error' button - that uploads the full error details and SharpCap log to my error reporting system and I can then (most of the time) work out what went wrong.

cheers,

Robin

#27 Astrohoven

Astrohoven

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:39 AM

Hi,

next time press the 'Report Error' button - that uploads the full error details and SharpCap log to my error reporting system and I can then (most of the time) work out what went wrong.

cheers,

Robin

Done.

Cheers!

#28 rwgrwg

rwgrwg

Vendor (SharpCap)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 10 September 2018 - 01:32 PM

Hi,

ok, follow up question... what DSLR camera and did it do anything (like take a frame between SharpCap trying to start talking to it and it crashing). It looks like the camera started to connect and then suddenly wasn't connected any more from the log that you uploaded.

cheers,

Robin

#29 Astrohoven

Astrohoven

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 September 2018 - 03:52 PM

Hi,

ok, follow up question... what DSLR camera and did it do anything (like take a frame between SharpCap trying to start talking to it and it crashing). It looks like the camera started to connect and then suddenly wasn't connected any more from the log that you uploaded.

cheers,

Hey Robin,

I just restarted the laptop and it's working now! I can finally use Sharpcap's polar align feature now :) So excited!

Cheers and thank you for the wonderful job!

-Anthony

#30 Astrohoven

Astrohoven

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:07 PM

One question, I'm using my Canon t1i in live mode. The maximum capture area is only 928*616. Am I doing something wrong? Will that affect my FOV for polar aligning?

Sorry if my questions might be stupid, I'm new to this.

Cheers!

Edited by Astrohoven, 10 September 2018 - 04:22 PM.

#31 rwgrwg

rwgrwg

Vendor (SharpCap)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:10 PM

Hi,

good to hear it is working, but I have not really tested live view myself, so I don't know if it will work with polar align. I think you will be the first to try!

Unfortunately I have very little time to put into tracking down any bugs in this at the moment - normal SharpCap is taking most of my time. This means that it's great when it works, but if it doesn't work then it may be a long time before anyone gets around to looking at why...

cheers,

Robin

#32 Astrohoven

Astrohoven

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 September 2018 - 04:49 AM

Hi,

good to hear it is working, but I have not really tested live view myself, so I don't know if it will work with polar align. I think you will be the first to try!

Unfortunately I have very little time to put into tracking down any bugs in this at the moment - normal SharpCap is taking most of my time. This means that it's great when it works, but if it doesn't work then it may be a long time before anyone gets around to looking at why...

cheers,

Robin

Ok cool, I'll try it out and post my results here.

Cheers!

-Anthony

#33 HxPI

HxPI

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia Beach, VA

Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:06 PM

I'm getting this error attached.

I'm getting this error too in SharpCap 3.1 and 3.2 trying to connect with Nikon D810. I also get an error saying a 32bit driver cannot run in a 64bit app when using the ASCOM Profile Selector in FireCapture 64bit. Running Windows 10 Pro x64 and latest version ASCOM 6.4 installed. I had a similar problem with another 32bit driver using CdC 64bit... switching to CdC 32bit eliminated the problem. Perhaps a 64bit version of this driver would be relevant????? Error reports sent.

Update 1:

OK so I setup BYN and camera connects to it just fine. Then I used the BackyardEOS option in the ASCOM Profile Selector and set the correct port. Now the camera is working in SharpCap and all options and functions seem to be working as designed! I hope there is a way to fix the direct connection method but this workaround is just fine for now.

One note, I didn't select this option first because the BackyardEOS option threw me off thinking this was not for BYN. Then I figured why not give it a shot and realized that BYEOS and BYN are probably synonymous. So maybe, just so others are not confused, add BYN to the option selection text to ensure others understand either app will work.

Update 2:

So SharpCap 3.1 crashed for some reason when adjusting some of the settings. Also, when setting Debayer to Force RGGB, SharpCap stopped taking images. Finally, although the BYN options works, the fact it has to take an image and store it will become an annoyance and fill up the harddrive. Perhaps there's a way to disable saving the files in BYN or is this necessary for the ASCOM DSLR driver to work correctly? This would not be something I'd be running for any extended period of time anyway. Regardless, this is an interesting project and I'll continue to explore it and provide any feedback I can.

Update 3:

OK this should be the last update. When using the ASCOM DSLR driver in SharpCap 3.2 beta, the driver and software combination seems to be more stable. I noticed they added some updates to support the ASCOM DSLR driver. All options worked and the software didn't crash. I'm confident the stability and performance will improve in the driver and supported software over time.

Thanks for sharing.

Ciao,

Mel

Edited by HxPI, 13 September 2018 - 11:26 PM.

#34 moxican

moxican

Viking 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:48 AM

Guys, I am not a software developer by any means but I'd like to help out in this project. I have a Nikon D5100, and if anything I could test and send error reports. I think this is a great project. So, how do I help?

Furthermore, is there any specific reason why you test on Sharpcap and not some other capture software? 

#35 Freud

Freud

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Drummondville

Posted 15 September 2018 - 05:26 PM

Which version of Backyard EOS are you working with ?

Mine is the Classic 3.0.0 and the setting does not shows the TCP server neither the Port Number.

Attached pics for your help.

Attached Thumbnails

• BEOS - Advanced setting.JPG
  • BEOS - setting.JPG

#36 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:19 PM

The TCP Server option is a Premium Edition feature!

Guylain

#37 ricewl

ricewl

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: SW Virginia

Posted 16 September 2018 - 05:28 PM

Hi. Thanks for doing this.

I have a Nikon D5300 that I use with the latest version of digiCamControl, and I connect through the wifi, and have no issues.

Is it possible that your ascom dslr driver would connect with the wifi?

Thanks,

Wyatt

#38 Freud

Freud

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Drummondville

Posted 18 September 2018 - 11:57 AM

Thank Guylain,

Your software is awsome. I'm using the Classic version from many many years. I'll upgrade to the Premium version and to use the Ascom commands with.

Fred

#39 moxican

moxican

Viking 1

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:19 PM

Any update on if this could work with Nikon D5100?

#40 moxican

moxican

Viking 1

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:02 PM

After experimenting I figured out that the issue I bump into with my Nikon is that I get a "nullreferenceexception" when trying to connect to ASCOM. After, some further investigation I found out that it mostly occur when the variable is declared but it is not set. This would make sense, I guess the camera info is not being imported. 

Now the interesting trick is, that running ASCOM diagnostics, while camera is connected, fires the shutter away for a short period of time once. I don't know what to make of that.

Edited by moxican, 13 October 2018 - 12:13 PM.

#41 JukkaP

JukkaP

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:16 AM

I was hoping to use nikon d5100 whit usb relay shutter whit this, but seems its not working whit d5100?

SGP dont operate trough usb relay(com port) only whit dcusb.

#42 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 15 October 2018 - 06:49 AM

I was hoping to use nikon d5100 whit usb relay shutter whit this, but seems its not working whit d5100?

SGP dont operate trough usb relay(com port) only whit dcusb.

Your statement is too generic: USB, COM port, Relay board.

Need to be more specific.

In this hobby, there are few popular solutions:

1)  raw-control (by asserting RS232 RTS signal), example: https://www.cloudyni...trol-for-nikon/

2) cooked command (e.g., DSUSB cable)  the computer is speaking a word (just use as analogy, saying "sesame" is OPEN and "sparrow" is CLOSE) over the RS232 data channel

<-- you can figure this method will have infinity combinations.  Only few popular de-facto ones are supported by those astro programs.

3) other options

This is really off topic, BTW.

#43 JukkaP

JukkaP

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:33 PM

Sorry for being too general. I have made the cable my self using the typical way people connect nikon d5100 to backyard nikon. There is relay between the computer and the camera. This one: https://m.youtube.co...9&v=efK1RCPaSoY

I set up dslr.ascom setting from ascom so it should know in what COM port the relay is.

Then I tryed the sgp but it cant connect to the camera. I have only little ascom knowledge.

I think this is important part of dslr.ascom as many people use d5100 and SGP combinatio. And they need to buy the shoestring astronomy 90$ dsusb cable to be able to operate SGP.

Hope this is not too much offtopic as it is important fpr alot of us. 

#44 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 15 October 2018 - 02:09 PM

That YT link is using a KMtronics USB Relay board. Note that he is using the factory provided relay control program.

That relay board is a general purpose board and has not been popular in astro field thus not many astro software writer are willing to integrate its support into their respective software.

Command is over 9600 N81 channel and the Syntax is:

"FF 01 00” (HEX) or “255,1,0” (DEC) - OFF command

“FF 01 01” (HEX) or “255,1,1” (DEC) - ON command

BTW, ASCOM is just the abstract-level common interface spec. 

Moving parts are still APT, BYNikon, and SGP's own play.

Edited by ccs_hello, 15 October 2018 - 02:09 PM.

#45 JukkaP

JukkaP

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:15 PM

Hello. I have read about this stuff everywhere. This ascom support seems my only option use SGP. Like moxican, i would be willing to help to get support for d5100. We are not getting the connection to ascom driver.

What I need to do?

#46 greg11311

greg11311

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 October 2018 - 03:03 PM

Wow. Does mean I can finally use my Canon 20D under Win7????

#47 greg11311

greg11311

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 October 2018 - 04:05 PM

I can't seem to get BYE to connect to my Canon 20d with the ASCOM driver loaded.

With BYE open starting the ASCOM driver sends me to the open Camera page, click the 20d option I get no connection.

What do I need to do?

Greg

#48 mralpaca

mralpaca

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: New York

Posted 04 December 2018 - 01:54 PM

Hi everyone! Thank you very much for this incredible piece of software! 

I am a mac user and would like to migrate off my work computer to a bootcamp partition on my mac. So far, I have not been able to get the software to work with my Nikon D3400, which is surprising since the D3400 works fine on the mac side of things with the AstroDSLR software (I want to use sharpcap because I love the live stacking and feel it makes things much easier :D). Has anyone gotten this to work with a D3400? If so, any advice?

Thanks!

#49 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:36 PM

One question, do you think you could write an ascom focus control for the dslrs? The cameras can manually move the lens... it would be awesome to use auto focus to get the ‘best’ focus.

#50 rottielover

rottielover

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: St. Louis MO

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:04 PM

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for this!!!

I'm currently using SharpCap via BackyardEOS to control my Canon 70D.    Just in time for me to check on some things before the big Lunar Eclipse tonight!!  :)

Thanks again!!

• guyroch likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics