•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASCOM.DSLR - ASCOM driver for dslr camers (Canon, Nikon)

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#51 rottielover

rottielover

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: St. Louis MO

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:26 AM

Something I noticed about how this interacts with BackyardEOS and the Camera hardware...    I guess SharpCap doesn't recognize "live view" mode, so I when I connect via the driver I can hear the camera shutter firing as it takes images to display in sharpcap.   Beos seems to be treating these as preview shots and thus is saving the JPG's as this is happening.

I tried to run the sensor analysis (I figured it could work since my ZWO 1600 has a cmos sensor and sensor analysis worked fine with it), but it seems that SharpCap is not able to control the ISO, or is unaware to change the ISO instead of "gain" for the camera?

Any thoughts around that?   I think it would be really nice if I could get a sensor analysis run of my DSLR! 

#52 desper0

desper0

Lift Off

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:42 AM

Wonder if anybody has been successful in making the driver work with a Nikon camera? I haven't seen any definitive confirmation...

#53 desper0

desper0

Lift Off

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:08 PM

I'm getting this error too in SharpCap 3.1 and 3.2 trying to connect with Nikon D810. I also get an error saying a 32bit driver cannot run in a 64bit app when using the ASCOM Profile Selector in FireCapture 64bit. Running Windows 10 Pro x64 and latest version ASCOM 6.4 installed. I had a similar problem with another 32bit driver using CdC 64bit... switching to CdC 32bit eliminated the problem. Perhaps a 64bit version of this driver would be relevant????? Error reports sent.

Update 1:

OK so I setup BYN and camera connects to it just fine. Then I used the BackyardEOS option in the ASCOM Profile Selector and set the correct port. Now the camera is working in SharpCap and all options and functions seem to be working as designed! I hope there is a way to fix the direct connection method but this workaround is just fine for now.

One note, I didn't select this option first because the BackyardEOS option threw me off thinking this was not for BYN. Then I figured why not give it a shot and realized that BYEOS and BYN are probably synonymous. So maybe, just so others are not confused, add BYN to the option selection text to ensure others understand either app will work.

Update 2:

So SharpCap 3.1 crashed for some reason when adjusting some of the settings. Also, when setting Debayer to Force RGGB, SharpCap stopped taking images. Finally, although the BYN options works, the fact it has to take an image and store it will become an annoyance and fill up the harddrive. Perhaps there's a way to disable saving the files in BYN or is this necessary for the ASCOM DSLR driver to work correctly? This would not be something I'd be running for any extended period of time anyway. Regardless, this is an interesting project and I'll continue to explore it and provide any feedback I can.

Update 3:

OK this should be the last update. When using the ASCOM DSLR driver in SharpCap 3.2 beta, the driver and software combination seems to be more stable. I noticed they added some updates to support the ASCOM DSLR driver. All options worked and the software didn't crash. I'm confident the stability and performance will improve in the driver and supported software over time.

Thanks for sharing.

Ciao,

Mel

Hi Mel. As far as I can tell, you are the only person reporting success using a Nikon DSLR. I have been trying to connect my D5300 for a couple days unsuccessfully. Your last update indicated you were able to run it on SharpCap. Can you provide details on what versions you are using? Was it the Beta, or the release 3.2 of SC? Also, what was the driver you are using, the one modified by Robin? Could you provide links to the pieces of software?

Thanks!

#54 HxPI

HxPI

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia Beach, VA

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:42 PM

Hi Mel. As far as I can tell, you are the only person reporting success using a Nikon DSLR. I have been trying to connect my D5300 for a couple days unsuccessfully. Your last update indicated you were able to run it on SharpCap. Can you provide details on what versions you are using? Was it the Beta, or the release 3.2 of SC? Also, what was the driver you are using, the one modified by Robin? Could you provide links to the pieces of software?

Thanks!

I have the following version software:

1. BYN 2.0.10 RC2 Premium license (Set external software control option):  https://www.otelesco...on-pre-release/

2. SharpCap Pro 3.2.5926 Lifetime license:  https://www.sharpcap...rpcap/downloads

3. ASCOM.DSLR 6.3.0 modified version (set BackyardEOS and port info in options):  https://github.com/v...M.DSLR/releases

4. ASCOM 6.4SP1:  https://github.com/A...atform/releases

5. Windows 10 Pro v1809

The direct Nikon driver in ASCOM.DSLR does not work with my camera, Nikon D810, but selecting BackyardEOS in the ASCOM.DSLR settings does. Make sure to start BYN and connect to camera first. Then connect to ASCOM DSLR camera in SharpCap. The DSLR begins capture by BYN and then sends the image to SharpCap via external software control. The settings in SharpCap will control the camera. The default ISO setting can be changed in the ASCOM.DSLR options using the show option button in Sharpcap, and can also be adjusted using the Gain slider. Be advised the ISO has to be a proper value or it will not take effect.

Hope this helps.

Ciao,

Mel

Edited by HxPI, 23 January 2019 - 01:29 AM.

• desper0 and Stephen S. like this

#55 MartN

MartN

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 January 2019 - 01:19 PM

Likewise here.  I have a Nikon D800 and whilst PhD can connect to the camera (just about) using ASCOM.DSLR, SharpCap just returns and internal error "Unknown event code :4008|".  Its such a pity as this could be one of the most significant developments in recent years.  In my Astro Soc there are probably 2 or 3 people got dedicated astro cameras whilst the other 30 are using DSLR cameras.  This could potentially be of massive interest if it ever worked.  Looks like I'll have to get BYN but I didn't really want to if it could have been avoided.

#56 archer1960

archer1960

Messenger

• Loc: Southern New England

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:47 PM

I have the following version software:

1. BYN 2.0.10 RC2 Premium license (Set external software control option):  https://www.otelesco...on-pre-release/

2. SharpCap Pro 3.2.5926 Lifetime license:  https://www.sharpcap...rpcap/downloads

3. ASCOM.DSLR 6.3.0 modified version (set BackyardEOS and port info in options):  https://github.com/v...M.DSLR/releases

4. ASCOM 6.4SP1:  https://github.com/A...atform/releases

5. Windows 10 Pro v1809

I am trying to get SharpCap to talk to my Canon 500D (T1i in the US). I set BYE's 3rd party integration option, got the ASCOM DSLR version installed and changed the port to match what BYE was set to (without changing anything else). Now when I start SharpCap, it sees ASCOM DSLR driver, but when I try to connect to it, it takes 10 - 15 sec or so, and then just disappears. Is there another setting I need to adjust in the ASCOM.DSLR driver settings?

#57 HxPI

HxPI

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia Beach, VA

Posted 30 January 2019 - 03:46 PM

I am trying to get SharpCap to talk to my Canon 500D (T1i in the US). I set BYE's 3rd party integration option, got the ASCOM DSLR version installed and changed the port to match what BYE was set to (without changing anything else). Now when I start SharpCap, it sees ASCOM DSLR driver, but when I try to connect to it, it takes 10 - 15 sec or so, and then just disappears. Is there another setting I need to adjust in the ASCOM.DSLR driver settings?

Seems like you have checked all the relevant settings. If you have all the latest versions of the relevant software/drivers installed, perhaps your camera’s settings are not correct or it is not compatible?

#58 Brad

Brad

Explorer 1

• Loc: Mid-West

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:39 PM

I did a similar test last week with my Nikon D5300 and got it to work fine. I'm assuming you are connected to your camera on the BYE side? I also have a Canon and got it to work directly using the Canon driver without going through BYE. Good luck....

#59 archer1960

archer1960

Messenger

• Loc: Southern New England

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:27 AM

I did a similar test last week with my Nikon D5300 and got it to work fine. I'm assuming you are connected to your camera on the BYE side? I also have a Canon and got it to work directly using the Canon driver without going through BYE. Good luck....

Yes, BYE was controlling the camera just fine. I couldn't get the Canon driver to connect natively at all. I need to try my other (much newer) camera too; maybe the old one doesn't talk nicely...

#60 MartN

MartN

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:10 PM

OK.  I now have BYN with this setup

BYN v209,
   ASCOM,DSLR v6.3.0
   ASCOM v6.4.1
   SharpCap v3.2.5949 32bit version as the 64 bit doesn't even attempt to connect
   Nikon 800 with latest Firmware
   Windows 7 SP1

I switch the camera on, set it to program = "M" and speed = "B" ;  start BYN which connects fine and operates the camera as expected.

I start SharpCap and select ASCOM.DSLR.  I select BackyardEOS and enter the port number found in BYN "Settings" screen

When I click "OK" the camera takes a single shot and once BYN reports the shot has been "downloaded", SharpCap displays the error that it could not connect to the camera.

SharpCap will then no longer display the ASCOM.DSLR dialogue but goes straight to the error message and has to be closed an restarted.

Does anyone have any ideas at all, as to where I should look to find out what is wrong as I'm a bit stumped

Thanks everyone, this really could be a game changer if we can get it to work.

Cheers

Neil

Edited by MartN, 14 February 2019 - 04:25 AM.

#61 sgwells

sgwells

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 14 February 2019 - 01:20 PM

Wow, this looks great. Does the driver support Mirror lockup functionality?

#62 Fukinagashi

Fukinagashi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:07 AM

Sadly on my Canon 40D it does not work, both with CanonSdk and BYE...

When I try to load the ASCOM driver it raises the following error:

>Driver setup method failed: “ASCOM.DSLR.Camera” Camera not connected<

#63 Cdnpilot

Cdnpilot

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:51 PM

I have spent a few hours on this, and I must be missing something.

I installed the DSLR Ascom driver; I configure it for BackyardEOS (running BYN and D5300) and set the port correctly. It speaks with BYN and tells it to take an image; but then it fails. In the log file I get "Error thrown from C:\cygwin\home\agalasso\projects\phd2\worker_thread.cpp:157->Capture failed"

It does not seem like BYN is passing the file to PHD2. Anyone seen this and any thoughts? I went through this discussion but found nothing similar.

1) BYN is 2.0.10

2) Ascom platform is 6.4

3) PHD2 is 2.6.6

Kevin

#64 Rickster

Rickster

Viking 1

• Loc: NC Kansas Bortle 3 SQM 21.8+

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:00 PM

I spent some time testing this driver and SharpCap.  I found that with certain settings, it does work well with my Canon DSLRs (T3/1100D and T4i/650D).  Any deviation from those settings and SharpCap will freeze up.  I documented the working settings here.  https://www.cloudyni...ap-with-a-dslr/

#65 lmclouth

lmclouth

Lift Off

• Loc: Davison, MI

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:47 PM

I have a Canon EOS 7D Mark II and I'm trying to use this ASCOM DSLR driver with All Sky Plate Solver.

I have ASCOM DSLR 6.3.0 and ASCOM 6.4 running on 64-bit Windows 10 Pro.  All other aspects of ASCOM work fine as well as all other uses of the Canon 7D Mark II (I've used ImagesPlus 6.5 Camera Control and most often digiCamControl.)

In the Settings in All Sky Plate Solver I have CanonSdk, ColorJpg, and ISO 6400 selected and I have checked "Connect ASCOM camera."  When I left-click "Click & Plate solve" in All Sky Plate Solver, the camera shutter will open and a window will immediately open saying "Camera not connected".  The ISO does change from my normal 1600 to the 6400 I have selected in the settings.  And the camera continues counting to the 5 second exposure and then clicks and closes the shutter.  The picture is then saved and renamed in the selected directory.

So the pictures are being taken it just appears All Sky Plate Solver is not waiting for that picture and instead giving the "Camera not connected" error window.

The log only has two lines:

Start Exposure   5 True

Camera Error     DEVICE_BUSY

I really would like to use this ASCOM DSLR driver with All Sky Plate Solver.  Does anyone have anything I can try that will fix this issue?

Thanks for everyone's input and help,

Lamar

Edited by lmclouth, 18 April 2019 - 12:31 PM.

#66 MikeECha

MikeECha

Vostok 1

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:35 PM

Hello There,

First of I want to thank the developer(s) for the effort.

Just in case it helps, I would like to report that I just installed the 6.3 version of the driver on my Win10 laptop. But Sharpcap 3.2 crashes without error.

The camera is Canon EOS T5 (1200D) with firmware v1.2. Set to manual exposure mode (M) and BULB shutter mode.

Do I need any special setting?

ASCOM,DSLR v6.3.0
ASCOM v6.4.1

SharpCap Prov  3.2.5986.0
Windows 10 Home with all available updates

#67 MikeECha

MikeECha

Vostok 1

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:33 PM

Hello There,

First of I want to thank the developer(s) for the effort.

Just in case it helps, I would like to report that I just installed the 6.3 version of the driver on my Win10 laptop. But Sharpcap 3.2 crashes without error.

The camera is Canon EOS T5 (1200D) with firmware v1.2. Set to manual exposure mode (M) and BULB shutter mode.

Do I need any special setting?

ASCOM,DSLR v6.3.0
ASCOM v6.4.1

SharpCap Prov  3.2.5986.0
Windows 10 Home with all available updates

Correction, I had the wrong ascom dslr driver software installed. I followed instructions from the link from Rickster on post #64 including the master drive package and Sharpcap works with my EOS T5 1200D.

Thanks.

#68 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 08 May 2019 - 12:18 PM

Something I noticed about how this interacts with BackyardEOS and the Camera hardware...    I guess SharpCap doesn't recognize "live view" mode, so I when I connect via the driver I can hear the camera shutter firing as it takes images to display in sharpcap.   Beos seems to be treating these as preview shots and thus is saving the JPG's as this is happening.

There is a setting in the API to request RAW images as well.  The developer of the said ASCOM driver would need to use that flag.

Note the quality flag from the BYE/BYN api documentation below; default is jpg, should be set to raw.

takepicure: send this command to take a picture.

IN: <<paramters>>
OUT: n/a

The takepicture command has several parameters, they are:

target:{name}
duration:{duration in seconds, default is 1}
iso:{100, 400, 800, 1600, default is 1600}
quality:{jpg, raw, default is jpg}
exposures:{number of images to take, default is 1}
imagetype:{1=preview, 0=capture, default is 1}

Examples:
“takepicture target:M33 duration:300 iso:800”
“takepicture duration:15 iso:1600”
“takepicture duration:15”
“takepicture quality:raw iso:1600”
“takepicture target:M13 duration:300 iso:800 imagetype:0”

Regards,

• Raginar likes this

#69 Rickster

Rickster

Viking 1

• Loc: NC Kansas Bortle 3 SQM 21.8+

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:58 PM

I have a Canon EOS 7D Mark II and I'm trying to use this ASCOM DSLR driver with All Sky Plate Solver.

I have ASCOM DSLR 6.3.0 and ASCOM 6.4 running on 64-bit Windows 10 Pro.  All other aspects of ASCOM work fine as well as all other uses of the Canon 7D Mark II (I've used ImagesPlus 6.5 Camera Control and most often digiCamControl.)

In the Settings in All Sky Plate Solver I have CanonSdk, ColorJpg, and ISO 6400 selected and I have checked "Connect ASCOM camera."  When I left-click "Click & Plate solve" in All Sky Plate Solver, the camera shutter will open and a window will immediately open saying "Camera not connected".  The ISO does change from my normal 1600 to the 6400 I have selected in the settings.  And the camera continues counting to the 5 second exposure and then clicks and closes the shutter.  The picture is then saved and renamed in the selected directory.

So the pictures are being taken it just appears All Sky Plate Solver is not waiting for that picture and instead giving the "Camera not connected" error window.

The log only has two lines:

Start Exposure   5 True

Camera Error     DEVICE_BUSY

I really would like to use this ASCOM DSLR driver with All Sky Plate Solver.  Does anyone have anything I can try that will fix this issue?

Thanks for everyone's input and help,

Lamar

I had similar results with All Sky Plate Solver.  I don't remember exactly, but as I recall, it would take a pic but not start solving.  I thought it was odd because the developer said that he originally built it for use with ASPS.  If I ever get clear skies again I will give it another try.  It would be a good use for the app.

#70 lmclouth

lmclouth

Lift Off

• Loc: Davison, MI

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:11 AM

I later realized it wouldn't work too well anyway because the camera can only be "connected" to one source at a time.  So I would have had to have stopped being connected to digiCamControl and connect ASCOM.DSLR and then do all I wanted and switch back.

I've gotten around the problem by writing my own script that takes care of the entire process.  It will remember all the settings for the current digiCamControl session.  Then set the camera to ISO 6400 and take a 5 second exposure.  Then converts that image to JPG (I take all my images in RAW) and feeds it to All Sky Plate Solver.  It automatically clicks the "connect mount" and "plate solve" buttons and then has that solved coordinates sent to the hand controller.

Finally it restores the original digiCamControl session settings.

It works very well and is completely hands-free.  I just double-click the icon to start it when I want to set the mount location very accurately.

Edited by lmclouth, 17 May 2019 - 06:07 PM.

#71 kisa

kisa

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 June 2019 - 01:50 AM

Hi,

Is there or has anyone compiled a 64-bit version of the driver? I downloaded the .exe from guthub, but it's a 32-bit version.

CCCiel say's it needs a 64-bit version.

Thanks,

KISA

#72 kisa

kisa

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 June 2019 - 05:44 AM

Hi,

I just installed the 32-bit version of CCDCiel and it worked fine.

KISA

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics