•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Chaple's Arc / Fairy Ring

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 schmeah

schmeah

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Morristown, NJ

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:23 AM

Chaple's Arc (Fairy Ring) is a mini asterism described by Glenn Chaple in 1980 while looking for the colorful double star HJ 1470 in Cygnus. It is a nearly circular arrangements of mostly double stars. HJ 1470 is seen at 1 o'clock. Its star pair are mag 7.4 and 9.2 The ring has a 22 arc-minute diameter and so barely fit in my FOV. Thanks for looking.

Derek

http://www.pbase.com...818492/original

HJ LRGB3Finalsmall.jpg

• ManuelJ, psandelle, Astrojensen and 15 others like this

#2 Joshiewowa

Joshiewowa

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Missouri, USA

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:55 AM

Huh, that's a cool one!  Might have to look for that visually sometime.

#3 Dan Crowson

Dan Crowson

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Dardenne Prairie, MO

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:17 PM

Pretty cool. I thought that this one might be really good for my refractor since it is so tight in your field of view but after pulling an image, it just doesn't do it justice. In searching, I see that I already took it in 2013 with nearly the same framing actually.

https://www.flickr.c...5929655/sizes/l

Dan

#4 bmhjr

bmhjr

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 16 July 2018 - 01:17 PM

That's very interesting and a nice image. Thanks for posting.

#5 AdrianoMS

AdrianoMS

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Volta Redonda, Brazil

Posted 16 July 2018 - 02:10 PM

Nice image. Thanks for sharing.

#6 schmeah

schmeah

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:36 PM

Thanks Josh, Bmhjr and Adriano. 

Pretty cool. I thought that this one might be really good for my refractor since it is so tight in your field of view but after pulling an image, it just doesn't do it justice. In searching, I see that I already took it in 2013 with nearly the same framing actually.

https://www.flickr.c...5929655/sizes/l

Dan

Thanks Dan. That’s a great shot and interestingly different perspective. I love the dark lanes running through that field.  My FR for the Edge just arrived. I bet it would fit perfectly with that FOV. 

Derek

#7 WadeH237

WadeH237

Cosmos

• Loc: Ellensburg, WA

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:34 PM

Nice catch!

It's one of my wife's favorite visual objects, but I never thought of imaging it...

• schmeah likes this

#8 Vassar1976

Vassar1976

Ranger 4

• Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 17 July 2018 - 05:41 AM

Never heard of this one, very cool!  I'll have to look for it.  Let us know how you like the EdgeHD FR, I should be getting mine soon from High Point.

Rowland

#9 schmeah

schmeah

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:38 PM

Never heard of this one, very cool!  I'll have to look for it.  Let us know how you like the EdgeHD FR, I should be getting mine soon from High Point.

Rowland

Thanks Rowland. I am waiting for it to be drop shipped from High Point as well. But what’s going on with High Point? I drove out there to pick it up on Saturday. The store front is closed down and basically boarded up. They don’t reply to emails or answer the phones, and they keep you on hold for 30 minutes before answering. They list items as in stock when they’re not. Perhaps I’m just unlucky, but it happened with my last two purchases. If they’ve become just an on line distributor, I’ll have to look elsewhere.

Derek

#10 Vassar1976

Vassar1976

Ranger 4

Posted 18 July 2018 - 06:55 AM

Hi Derek - wow, that's surprising about High Point.  I've interacted with them by phone twice in the past 10 days and both times I was on hold less than 5 minutes and had a fine interaction with them.  I've never been to their store front, just used them for mail order but have always had good results.  I called them about matching the Losmandy GM811G price that B&H advertised and the High Point sales rep very politely told me that he didn't have enough margin to match B&H's price and that I should buy from B&H, it was a "smokin' deal."  Actually had a similar interchange with them a year ago about an Esprit refractor.

Maybe just call and ask about the store front, they seem very honest to me.

Clear skies,

Rowland

#11 JoshH

JoshH

Viking 1

• Loc: Jefferson City, MO

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:11 AM

Very nice image, I'd like to try this one visually. 

Do you happen to have the coordinates?

#12 schmeah

schmeah

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:24 AM

Very nice image, I'd like to try this one visually. 

Do you happen to have the coordinates?

Thanks Josh. Per astrometry.net:

20h 04m 09.930s RA

+38° 11' 37.239. Dec

Derek

#13 schmeah

schmeah

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:59 AM

Maybe just call and ask about the store front, they seem very honest to me.

Spoke to a salesperson who confirmed my FR shipment and also that the storefront is gone for good. That’s too bad. I’ve been visiting them periodically for more than ten years as it was less than an hour from my home. It was always nice to be able to place a name with a face. There were sort of in the middle of nowhere so I guess the overhead didn’t make sense ultimately. 

Derek

#14 Vassar1976

Vassar1976

Ranger 4

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:33 PM

It's understandable, e-Commerce has changed the landscape of retail for good.  It's really nice to see equipment first hand before buying it, but I'd guess 90% of the world's amateur astronomers don't live within an hour of a retail store that sells serious gear.  Sad in some ways, but it sure is nice to be able to browse all the major retailers from my desk!

Rowland

• schmeah likes this

#15 Rick J

Rick J

Cosmos

• In Memoriam
  • Loc: Mantrap Lake, MN

Posted 18 July 2018 - 06:53 PM

Well done.  I saw this one back after Chaple wrote about it.  It was better in my 6" f/4 than the 10' f/5 as it needed the larger field of the 6" at 27x.  I never put it on my list when I started that 10 years later due to my visual impression.  My field is about 22.5 by 33 so it would be a similar tight fit north to south.  I'd get more east to west.  Might rethink about trying it but at a low priority.

I've tried three times to post since you posted it but the internet went out that night.  It was off and on, mostly off until recently.  It stayed up long enough to post my post but died.  Now CN is extremely slow but other sites are fine.  My rinky-dick provider says its up but it still is going on and off.  They can't tell me what happened or why not staying on it is still fixed.  No other options due to shore regs and being in iron-rich soil blocking wireless so am stuck.

Rick

#16 schmeah

schmeah

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:36 PM

Thanks Rick. I’m fitting my setup with the new 0.7 FR even as we speak, so may try it again. Sorry to hear about your internet. We’ve gotten so used to super fast throughput, that it drives me nuts when it slows down. We are an impatient lot.

Derek

#17 Rick J

Rick J

Cosmos

• In Memoriam

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:40 PM

Right now I'm no faster and sometimes slower for download than dial-up but my upload speed is normal.  Slow but at least 5 times faster than download.  They took me down to fix a node that was acting up and cutting out for a few minutes at random.  Now it is back at a tiny fraction of the speed before (never over 5 meg) and still cutting out as before.  They just made it worse but phone calls tell me is working properly and my gear is at fault.  It's their gear, not mine but they still won't do anything and there's no one else serving my area but wireless that starts at three times the cost with a data cap I can't meet (if I had my normal speed back).  Living under dark skies can be a pain.

I keep saying I must add a wide field system but with so many still on the to-do list that would just make it more difficult to complete so, it never happens.

Rick

#18 schmeah

schmeah

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:34 AM

I keep saying I must add a wide field system but with so many still on the to-do list that would just make it more difficult to complete so, it never happens.

Rick

Now that’s interesting. Despite the fact that it’s easy enough to swap OTAs, I haven’t done any widefield imaging in a year. I really feel that I’ve nearly run out of  narrowband / Sharpless targets to try (though I’ve never shot M42 for some reason) and the really dusty broadband stuff is just too difficult in my skies. So I’m starting to feel guilty about having an expensive Tak refractor sitting around collecting dust when I could use the funds for life stuff at the moment.

Derek

#19 Rick J

Rick J

Cosmos

• In Memoriam

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:36 PM

I wouldn't need to swap, just add something atop the LX200R as the Paramount can easily carry the weight.  The scope is about 90 pounds.  At my age, I need help lifting it up and off. 

I've got an offer from an imager to use his 7 year old 4"  FSQ as he is now too old to use it (he's younger than me).  So it is just the rings and adaptors I'd need to buy as I could use the STL-11000XM but I'd probably like to use a second camera so I could do wide and narrow imaging at once.  That is money right now.  CMOS doesn't work at my winter temperatures.  Heck, I contacted the two main makers and both said that while their specs are limited to -5C most work down to -10C but that's about the limit before issues arise.  I get colder than that 8 months out of the year.  So have to look to the more expensive CCD cameras.  They also cover a bigger field than the CMOS do until you get into the same price range as CCD.  They still won't work at my temperatures.

With my rotten weather of late, it will take me several years just to cover what is left on the to-do list so just not happening.  Though it would mean I could take some lower stuff that I can't now as the seeing is so bad but wide field that wouldn't show so much with a 3" pixel rather than the 1" I normally reproduce at.  So my brain keeps the argument going but so far wide field is losing.

Rick

#20 schmeah

schmeah

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 24 July 2018 - 04:10 PM

I clearly should have stretched this one a bit more.

HJ LRGB4Finalsmall.jpg

• bmhjr and 2ghouls like this

#21 Dan Crowson

Dan Crowson

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Dardenne Prairie, MO

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:11 PM

Now that’s interesting. Despite the fact that it’s easy enough to swap OTAs, I haven’t done any widefield imaging in a year. I really feel that I’ve nearly run out of  narrowband / Sharpless targets to try (though I’ve never shot M42 for some reason) and the really dusty broadband stuff is just too difficult in my skies. So I’m starting to feel guilty about having an expensive Tak refractor sitting around collecting dust when I could use the funds for life stuff at the moment.

Derek

I've been using my 90mm refractor for over 5 years now and still haven't ran out of targets - even from the city.

Dan

#22 schmeah

schmeah

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:14 PM

I've been using my 90mm refractor for over 5 years now and still haven't ran out of targets - even from the city.

Dan

I’ve got a few years on you, Dan ;)

#23 Quaternion

Quaternion

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:20 AM

This is just beautiful.  I have to see this at the eyepiece and maybe image it before I die.  Thanks for posting.

#24 2ghouls

2ghouls

Apollo

Posted 26 July 2018 - 04:11 PM

The more stretched version really shows off the "ring" well. Thanks for sharing, I am really curious to observe this now.

#25 schmeah

schmeah

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:12 PM

This is just beautiful.  I have to see this at the eyepiece and maybe image it before I die.  Thanks for posting.

The more stretched version really shows off the "ring" well. Thanks for sharing, I am really curious to observe this now.

Thanks Quaternion and Nico. Please give me an update if you do observe it. I’m curious as to what it looks like visually.

Derek

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics