•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TAL 65 from 1994

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: SC

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:41 AM

Kept seeing this on Ebay. Decided to buy after the price got down to where I thought oh what the heck.

TAL 65 with an English language booklet. There were two issues. First is that the foam used in the case for cushioning disintegrated and ate the paint. The part of the mount that threads into the pier would only turn one thread. I cleaned up the foam gunk as best I could and used felt in the case. The threads required some threading with the lathe turned by hand and deft movement of the lathe slide.  Turned out perfect (pun intended).

The mechanics are superb. the mount is smooth, sturdy and without play. Optics were surprisingly good. Fun, odd little scope. Very well made, nicely designed with good optics. The focuser has NO slop and is buttery smooth.

It's the first scope I've bought n a good while. To be honest, after about a dozen Japanese 60mm refractors it's nice to have something so unique.

Attached Thumbnails

• ru - 1.jpg
  • ru - 1 (1).jpg
  • ru - 1 (2).jpg
  • ru - 1 (3).jpg

• Andy Howie, meade4ever, memento and 7 others like this

#2 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Aurora

• Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:30 AM

Yep!

I have one too!  A 1988 Russian TAL Alcor...

The guys in the club were making fun of it saying that the pipe came from Chernobal... self powering... glows in the dark...

Really decent views Chernobyl!

https://www.cloudyni...al#entry6785584

Attached Thumbnails

• 16665307_10210371664961643_7960624290375053174_o.jpg
  • 16665750_10210371663161598_5114880381203982524_o.jpg
  • 20170208_183137_resized_1.jpg

• Andy Howie, meade4ever, terrapin and 7 others like this

#3 mlucas9

mlucas9

Lift Off

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:35 AM

Hi bremms,

I have one too (plus three other TAL reflectors), I love this thing...we've had it since the 90's (I think mine is '94 as well). I did the same thing as you did, I removed all of the disintegrated foam and clean it up, and installed some nice felt for wood inserts in the case (see picture). I have the same problem that you describe where the pier tube only screw in mount like 1.5 turns and a lot of the tread is exposed, it turns enough though to hold it securely.

I agree with you, the optics on this thing are fantastic, hard to believe what can be seen through this thing with only a 65 mm mirror, I live in an urban area so this is a nice little scope to grab and go and quickly take a peek at the Moon or planets.

Sounds like you have some machining experience, I'd consider paying you to fix my pier tube threads...what do you think?

Best Regards,
Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180302_002632.jpg

• Andy Howie and bremms like this

#4 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Aurora

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:40 AM

Gee... maybe we should form a TAL owners group... a band of users... probably shouldn't call it the TAL Band though...   ;) 

• JonH, bremms, SpaceConqueror3 and 1 other like this

#5 Dave Trott

Dave Trott

Ranger 4

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:47 AM

These are wonderful scopes. Perfect for mounting on your 1995 Russian Tank!

I have a video showing the operation of this scope here: https://www.youtube....sP2EmGcxI&t=16s

And the scope has a more modern descendant; the TAL 65: https://www.youtube....Uo9VFTECU8&t=1s

IMG 1465 small

• Andy Howie, meade4ever, memento and 1 other like this

#6 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 17 July 2018 - 12:37 PM

I also bought one of these too.  It's a neat quick view scope and makes a nice small piece for the living room. 

I have not had a chance to open mine yet, but if it looks good, I will probably buy the rest of the stock the seller has to use as giveaways at public outreach.

Steve

• bremms likes this

#7 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

Posted 17 July 2018 - 12:38 PM

Marc,

What did you pay?  I was going to negotiate, but I thought $120 shipped was fair.

Steve

#8 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: SC

Posted 17 July 2018 - 12:48 PM

Marc,

What did you pay?  I was going to negotiate, but I thought $120 shipped was fair.

Steve

Steve, That's what I paid. $121 with shipping IIRC.

#9 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

Posted 17 July 2018 - 12:59 PM

I also bought one of these too.  It's a neat quick view scope and makes a nice small piece for the living room. 

I have not had a chance to open mine yet, but if it looks good, I will probably buy the rest of the stock the seller has to use as giveaways at public outreach.

Steve

Looks like there's only one left, Steve.  Better hurry.

#10 Andy Howie

Andy Howie

Ranger 4

• Loc: Paisley, Scotland

Posted 17 July 2018 - 12:59 PM

Another owner of a '93 battleship grey, screw-in pedestal, Tal Alcor here !!

4348778820_36ef86dd20_z.jpg?zz=1

I agree that the focuser is smooth as butter. Be aware that the R&P Tal focusers can be adjusted for smoothness, to suit, by turning the right hand knob(anti-clockwise to loosen), whilst gripping the left one. If it hasn't been adjusted this way in decades, it may take a bit of force before moving.

Not sure if any of you has taken the primary cell off? It's a work of (typical Russian) over engineered art !

I've done a side by side with my very good Carton 60/1000 and the Alcor showed everything the Carton did, which was very unexpected and pleasing. You can upgrade the eyepiece thanks to Siebert Optics. They do a 26mm ep along with a spacer tube set for varying magnifications with the Tal supplied barlow/spacer set. It's something I've been meaning to get for years as I've heard from a couple of folks that it's of great quality.

http://www.siebertop... eyepieces.html

Probably my most used grab-n-go scope.

Cheers,

Andy

• meade4ever, Terra Nova, bremms and 2 others like this

#11 Cometeer

Cometeer

Vanguard

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 17 July 2018 - 01:04 PM

Ebay also has a $25 coupon off a purchase of $119 or more which brings the TAL under $100. Quite enticing. Code: 'PRIMO119' - Valid until 11pm today.

#12 Andy Howie

Andy Howie

Ranger 4

Posted 17 July 2018 - 01:07 PM

I got mine about 8-10 years back, I think. Cost me ukĀ£25 delivered shocked.gif

#13 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Aurora

Posted 17 July 2018 - 01:44 PM

Looks like it is still on ebay... guys... someone please grab it... I really don't want another... I don't think... well, maybe... I wonder if I could bino them... mmm

• bremms likes this

#14 Kasmos

Kasmos

Gemini

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:22 PM

The ebay coupon doesn't include shipping. Still a good deal anyway. Especially since I had once considered checking out a local one for $60 that had some tube ring damage and no box.

Edited by Kasmos, 17 July 2018 - 02:26 PM.

#15 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Aurora

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:34 PM

Curse Thank you! someone bought it... I was just going in to grab it!

• SpaceConqueror3 likes this

#16 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:55 PM

Jeff, chances are good that at least one of the new owners just got it to examine, and it will come up for sale in a few months or a year.  You're probably not off the hook yet.

Now why can't somebody find three or four old Gotos, still new-in-the-box?

• Jeff Struve, Bomber Bob and Kasmos like this

#17 Kasmos

Kasmos

Gemini

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:01 PM

Curse Thank you! someone bought it... I was just going in to grab it!

It wasn't me, but also glad someone nabbed it. I have to slow down on purchases so I'm carefully choosing my battles. grin.gif

• Jeff Struve likes this

#18 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:15 PM

Looks like there's only one left, Steve.  Better hurry.

No worries.  Glad everyone here got one.  I posted the link a couple weeks ago, but it got no interest then.

Steve

PS, why did we stop posting unique "finds" in their own thread?  Now everything is piled into the CL, Ebay, etc "finds thread".  No specific scopes to discuss.  Seems to have cut down on new unique scope posts.  The Goto Moonwatch was perfect for its own thread.  Wow!  What a find.

Edited by Steve_M_M, 17 July 2018 - 03:21 PM.

• Kasmos likes this

#19 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:23 PM

Jeff, chances are good that at least one of the new owners just got it to examine, and it will come up for sale in a few months or a year.  You're probably not off the hook yet.

Now why can't somebody find three or four old Gotos, still new-in-the-box?

There were several of these available at the same time around two years ago. One was on Craigs List and only a few miles from me. I passed as at that time I had thirty telescopes and felt like I was drowning. They are very cool tho. The grey ones on the pedistal remind me of a Russian Newtonian Telementor.

• Andy Howie, Chuck Hards, Jeff Struve and 2 others like this

#20 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:49 PM

PS, why did we stop posting unique "finds" in their own thread?  Now everything is piled into the CL, Ebay, etc "finds thread".  No specific scopes to discuss.  Seems to have cut down on new unique scope posts.  The Goto Moonwatch was perfect for its own thread.  Wow!  What a find.

This very thread shows that the practice is not dead.   A dedicated thread is a good idea for the uncommon stuff, but it's also nice not seeing a dedicated thread for every entry-level scope that happens to find a new owner.  I think most of our members know the difference between something relatively interesting, and the "same old thing".

And I was talking about a parallel issue recently with another member.  Forum traffic kind of slows in summer, I suspect it will pick up again after Labor Day.

There were several of these available at the same time around two years ago. They are very cool tho. The grey ones on the pedistal remind me of a Russian Newtonian Telementor.

Aren't these little Russian TALs "school" telescopes, themselves?  

• Steve_M_M, Terra Nova and Kasmos like this

#21 Andy Howie

Andy Howie

Ranger 4

Posted 17 July 2018 - 04:14 PM

I believe the Russian school telescope was a Maksutov ....

Russian language link - http://www.astronome...act=view&id=204

Shortened google translate link - http://bit.ly/2JtJ6EM

Andy.

• steve t, Chuck Hards and Terra Nova like this

#22 mlucas9

mlucas9

Lift Off

Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:01 PM

Hi Bremms,

Yep, mine is a 1994 (No. 0118), must have been made the same day as yours!

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the info and link regarding the 26 mm eyepiece from Siebert Optics...gonna have to get me one.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180717_225431.jpg

Edited by mlucas9, 17 July 2018 - 10:03 PM.

• Andy Howie, meade4ever, steve t and 3 others like this

#23 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:38 PM

After 6 days of travelling, I got home today to open mine. I was initially worried as the seller did nothing but put the case in a box,  No padding and no reinforced corners.  The box was beat up, torn, and ripped in most parts.  It was barely able to be a box :)  After stripping it away, the Tal Alcor box was undamaged as was the scope.  Wow

This was truly new in unopened box from 1994.  The latches still had little mini locks securing them.  I had to cut the wire n order to get in.  I almost felt bad as those cannot be replaced.  Inside the dessicant bags had broken open and the stuff was everywhere.  Everything was wrapped and untouched.  The mirror was sparkling new.

The only issue is the foam. OMG!  A sticky gooey mess.  Ill deal with that later....

• Andy Howie, steve t, Chuck Hards and 1 other like this

#24 grendel

grendel

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canterbury, Kent, UK

Posted 18 July 2018 - 06:56 AM

I too have one of these lovely little beasties, as mentioned the pier is rock solid, focuser smooth and the views impressive for its size.

I cant remember when mine was new, but all the screws were loose when i bought it, I just tightened them all back up, and the scope was perfectly collimated.

• steve t and Bomber Bob like this

#25 grendel

grendel

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canterbury, Kent, UK

Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:00 PM

mine is dated 1996

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6223 (Medium).JPG
  • IMG_6225small.JPG
  • IMG_6232small.JPG

• Andy Howie, meade4ever, steve t and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics